Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Manual Kerning

Nov 11, 2008 10:17 AM

Hi
I just got Fireworks CS4 but the manual kerning doesn't seem to work in the text.

I've looked at keyboard shortcuts and set it to Fireworks and looked everywhere else but nothing.

Its the command when you select a space between 2 letters and click "command left arrow" or "command right arrow" to move the letters together or apart.

The leading slider works but that is really time consuming and not going to work - I have RSI so need to reduce the clicks if at all possible!!

Any ideas how to get it working, the manual says it should do

Cheers
Rob

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 11, 2008 11:12 AM   in reply to Rob Miller
    Rob,
    Select the two letters (or more) then invoke the shortcut.
    alex

Rob Miller wrote:
    > Hi
    > I just got Fireworks CS4 but the manual kerning doesn't seem to work in the
    > text.
    >
    > I've looked at keyboard shortcuts and set it to Fireworks and looked
    > everywhere else but nothing.
    >
    > Its the command when you select a space between 2 letters and click "command
    > left arrow" or "command right arrow" to move the letters together or apart.
    >
    > The leading slider works but that is really time consuming and not going to
    > work - I have RSI so need to reduce the clicks if at all possible!!
    >
    > Any ideas how to get it working, the manual says it should do
    >
    > Cheers
    > Rob
    >

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2008 10:53 PM   in reply to Rob Miller
    Hi Rob,

Manual Kerning control has now been changed to Tracking control in FWCS4. The Tracking control works the same way as that in Adobe Illustrator where you have to select a range of characters and then apply tracking to them using the shortcut keys.
    Please go through the below tutorial for more tips and tricks on using the new text engine.
    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/articles/adobe_text_engine.html

--Arun

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2009 9:42 AM   in reply to Rob Miller
    No, it doesn't work "the same way as that in Adobe Illustrator".
    In Illustrator, I set the cursor where I want to edit the kerning (between the characters) and press option-left/right arrow.
    FireWorks: You have to select 2 letters and press cmd-left/right.
    And if you try to use hide Edges in combination with it (because you can't judge the white space with a yellow selection), you have an positivly charming combo that makes you want to jump out the next window.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)