Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flowing text onto a second page

Sep 10, 2008 12:13 PM

I have a form where I am pasting text in a subform (occupies an entire page) a lot of text. Everything works fine when the pasted text is more then one page and I get scrolling bar at the right and a black and white + at the bottom right. The problem is I want the text to be flowed on to the next page. This is needed because the form may need to be printed and faxed sometimes.

I have tried several tricks but so far I have not stumbled upon a good solution!

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 10, 2008 12:37 PM   in reply to (Prakash_Desai)
    Having a field scroll across a page margin is not possible in anything before version 9. Are you using version 9 or something earlier.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2008 4:22 AM   in reply to (Prakash_Desai)
    Then it will not scroll ....can you upgrade to 9?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2008 6:31 AM   in reply to (Prakash_Desai)
    I was refering to the version of Designer that ships with Acrobat 9 (it is actually 8.2). Then you woudl need Acrobat/Reader 9 to handle the new break.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2008 9:08 AM   in reply to (Prakash_Desai)
    This actually is possible with Acrobat 7 and 8. You can prove it out with the following step-by-step procedures:
    - Create a new form with a single body page. Save it as a Dynamic PDF form.
    - Drag and drop a text field onto the page. Select the option to "Allow Multiple Lines". Also, make sure "Expand to Fit" is checked for the Y direction on the Layout pallette.
    - Set your body page to be a "Flowed" content subform (it is "Positioned" by default)
    - Do a PDF Preview. Enter enough text to span multiple pages. When you click out of the field, it will wrap across multiple pages.

Hope this helps!
    Justin Klei
    Cardinal Solutions Group

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2008 11:42 AM   in reply to (Prakash_Desai)
    To allow page breaks to happen your content has to be in a flowed subform. Are you using flowed or position subforms?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2008 4:13 AM   in reply to (Prakash_Desai)
    I no longer have the form, can you resend it along with an explanation of where the troublesome field is and I will have a look. Send it to: livecycle8@gmail.com

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2008 2:26 PM   in reply to (Prakash_Desai)
    I also am having this same dilemma. I have the form available, if someone could help me activate the function to flow the text onto another page. I have Adobe LifeCycle Designer ES 8.2 that came with Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended.
    Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2008 5:11 PM   in reply to (Prakash_Desai)
    I am using Adobe LiveCycle 8. I have expandable boxes working well. My only problem is, I don't want them to expand forever. I'd like to limit each box to 10 lines. Is this possible? If I limit with characters, it doesn't work because it allows carriage returns.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2008 7:32 PM   in reply to (Prakash_Desai)
    Prakash,
    Make sure your form is being saved as a dynamic PDF and not a Static PDF. That is usually one thing that is easily missed that will cause this dynamic functionality to not function properly. Here are a couple of settings that you should check (in Designer 8.2):

- Form Properties-->Preview-->Preview Type (should be Interactive Form)
    - Form Properties-->Preview-->Preview Adobe XML Form As (should be Dynamic XML Form)
    - File-->Save As-->Save as Type (should be Adobe Dynamic XML Form)

Justin

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2008 11:14 AM   in reply to (Prakash_Desai)
    Please explain...
    How do I create a subform with content? As soon as I make the subform "flowed", it turns into a straight broken line, not allowing me to insert a text box.
    I am using LiveCycle ver. 8.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2009 9:16 AM   in reply to (Bob_Gallagher)

Help!

I am trying to flow text, from expandable text fields, onto a second page.  Can anyone give me some pointers to make this possible?  See attached form.

Thanks!

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2009 11:38 AM   in reply to bjklein13

Hi,

I corrected your form and attached in the post..You basically need to make the entire page as a Flowed subform and wrap each multiline text field into a separate subform will resolve your issue. Let me know if you still have issues.

Thanks

Srini

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2009 1:30 PM   in reply to Srini Dhulipalla

Thank you, that did the job!  However, I can't figure out how to do it myself....

I am unable to manipulate the pagination tab.  Is there something that I need to do to turn this on?  I'm hoping that's the issue...

Thanks again!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2009 4:36 AM   in reply to bjklein13

Have any of you that are having problems checked the target version your form is set to run in? Click File >> Form Properties >> Defaults and make sure Target Version is set to Acrobat and Adobe Reader 8.1 or later.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2009 8:13 AM   in reply to djaknow

Mine flows to the 2nd page OK, but then the it overlaps my header that I've built on the Master page.  Any ideas on how I can avoid that?

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2009 8:13 AM   in reply to AH Linda

On the Master Page you have a content Area where content is layed down. If you put your master page objects insode of this content area then it will overrwrite your Master page content. Simply resize the content area so that your content on the Master Page is not in this area.

Paul

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2009 9:43 AM   in reply to pguerett

Thank you!  That did it!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2011 10:26 AM   in reply to pguerett

Hi Paul ,

I am using adobe designer 8.1 .Trying to make the text flow on to next page. currently when it flows in to next page it repeats the text with plus sign. Could not figure out the issue.  The issue is with the

text field ----data.#subform[0].Body.T_ELEMENTS.DATA.T_COL_CELL.DATA.T_FIELD.DAT A.textEdit.value_string

From "body" to "textedit" i have made subform flowed, allow page break. still same issue.

Thanks,

Chandra.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2011 11:01 AM   in reply to chandu_bobby

Can you send the file and a description of the issue to LiveCycle8@gmail.com and I wil have a look.

Paul

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2011 4:27 PM   in reply to pguerett

Hi paul,

Thank you for your quick reply. This pdf is generated from SAP by abap code and it was setting the form type to "STATIC". I changed to "Dynamic" and it is working.

Thank you,

Chandra.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2011 4:43 AM   in reply to chandu_bobby

Can this be done in acrobat pro 9?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2011 10:34 PM   in reply to DanMun

Hi All,

I am new to adobe livecycle designer ES, and I am having problem on form page. My form is a two page one and I want the flow to past the page one unto as many pages when you click the add button i have created in table.

At the moment, the form is restricting flow when a user enters text that could span multi-pages. This is a two page design form and my user sometimes fills details and it grows up to 6pages. This is not happening with my design. It cannot go beyond page 1.

Can somebody point me to the right direction?

Also, the text box that i wrapped in subform are overflowing onto the next. I used the expand to fit  and checked allow page break to into content. I have search all places and done some tutorial but this still can't be fixed.

Please, help as this is urgent for me.

Many Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2011 4:18 AM   in reply to Santata

I am realloy not ver familiar with LifeCycle at all.  There is script

to flow form one text box to another in adobe acrobat:

// Move to next field when this one is full

if (event.fieldFull) {

getField("NameOfNextFieldGoesHere").setFocus();

}

The script goes in the Custom Keystroke script under "custom" in the

"Format" tab of the properties box for the text box that you want the

text to flow from.  Do not check "scroll long text" as it won't fill

up the box.  Multi line is ok to check.

Hope this helps.  Not sure if it will sork in Livecycle though.

Dan M

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2011 5:26 AM   in reply to DanMun

I'm having an issue with having forms flow to a 2nd page.  I have a  subform that allows you to add more instances of the same subform.  However when you add to many they just contiune adding on page one but  off the printable area (instead of moving to the next page).  I have  tried several of everyones suggestions but none have worked correctly  (some have been close but added a random blank page at the begining of  the document).  Can anyone help???

Well I was going to upload my PDF but I do not see anywhere to do that.  I will Past the XML Code Below.

Message was edited by: pguerett removed the source template - it was too big!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2011 10:52 PM   in reply to 0534909

You can upload your form to a file sharing site, like Acrobat.com and then share the published URL here.

N.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2011 5:23 AM   in reply to Niall O\'Donovan

I made a few changes to the structure of your form. The page1 subform needs to be flowed if you want the content to move across pages. The Suspect sibform was srapped in a flowed subform so I unwrapped it so that we had a flowed (page1) then a positioned (suspect) that was repeated. Lastly the BtnGroup was too wide for the subform so I made the subform smaller.

I included the modified sample here. I also will edit your post and remove the template (its too big for a post).

If you do not want tour template posted let me know and I will remove it.

Hope that helps

Paul

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2011 2:53 PM   in reply to pguerett

Paul,

Thank you very much for your help, that is exactly what I needed.  You can leave the template posted, it might help someone else out. Now hopefully I can used what you showed me to create the rest of my template ;-).

Thanks again!

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 12:10 AM   in reply to (Prakash_Desai)

HI i am also having problems with this.  When i flow text onto the next page, the text is repeated from the beginning instead of only the text that has overflowed.  I am using dynamic forms.  When I change it to static it is working fine, but I need URL links which are not supported by static forms.   Please help.  Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 1:25 PM   in reply to emcee17

Can you email your form to LiveCycle8@gmail.com and I will have a look when I get a chance. Please include a description of your issue when with your email.

Paul

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 9:08 PM   in reply to chandu_bobby

Hello Chandu,

i was searching for the same issue and found this thread. My PDF is also generated from SAP abap code and am also not gettig the flowed text to the next page. U mentioned to change the form type to Dynamic from STATIC. Are u talking about the SFPDOCPARAMS-DYNAMIC this field to mark to 'X'. or is there anything else. If it is the field then i tried with dynamic = X and i still dint get the text on the next page. Can anyone help me?

and also added all the settings mentioned in the above posts and i am using the version 8.2

Thanks,

Pavan.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2013 1:42 PM   in reply to pguerett

Hi,

Did this ever get solved? I am having a problem with an imported checklist from a pdf into LiveCycle. Then below I want to add a "comments" text field that flows to second page if required. Nothing listed in this forum has worked. I would love to NOT have to build the form from scratch because I hate the workability of livecycle for the form I need.

Thanks.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2013 3:39 PM   in reply to Bferg23

Brian

This never did get resolved.

Sent From Dan's iPhone

|
    Mark as:

More Like This