Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Email form as PDF, not XML

Jan 7, 2008 11:04 AM

Version 8.05

Any idea how I change the "Submit by Email" button to email the filled-in PDF instead of XML data? The customer doesn't need the data, they want the form "as is".

Thanks

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 8, 2008 5:07 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    Make sure the submittors aren't trying to use the free Adobe Reader
    too!

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2008 3:53 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    When I do the settings like you said and i submit a mail then the file still is *.xml!!
    Please can you help me, are there more settings to do??

Rudi Brouwer

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2008 7:03 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    You can change your button from an "Email submit button" to a plain old "Button". Then in the Object tab specify the Control Type as "Submit". This will give you a Submit tab.

On the Submit tab set the Submit to URL field to be mailto:mailaddress (for example: mailto:me@mydomain.com). In the Submit As dropdown select PDF.

By using a regular button (over an Email button) you get the additional control of the Submit As.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2008 11:57 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    You can still use the standard Submit Mail button, but you will need to make one small change. Select the Submit Mail button in the "Design View" tab. Then, click the "XML Source" tab. You should enter the source code with the "field" tag hilighted. Search below this tag for the "submit" tag. In this tag, you will see a parameter for "format". The default is 'xml'. Change this to 'pdf', and the document will be sent as a pdf doc.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2008 12:38 PM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    Very true - I was just trying to save you editing the XML. Some people find that scary ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2008 4:23 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    First thanks to you all for the answers.
    I have tried both options, but both won't work by me.
    I've changed in the xml source tab the parameter xml into pdf

<submit format="pdf" target="mailto:me@domainname.nl"

When i open the pdf and click on the submit button nothings happens. Outlook opens not a mail, but when i changed the parameter into

<submit format="xml" target="mailto:r.b.brouwer@fivelland.nl"

Outlook opens a email whit the xml document include!

Then i've tried the first option by making a normal button, but then happens the saim thing, no mail.

Have any of you still got a clou?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2008 12:51 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    Oke when i tried this at home it works!
    But when i try this at my work it didn't work Outlook whill not open and the pdf comes not in the mail!

Can someone help me??

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2008 8:45 PM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    it would not work in reader but would work in Acrobat, if you want it to work in Reader you will have to ReaderExtend the form, let me know if this works

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2008 1:44 PM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    Hi All,

I am using Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8 to create a PDF form and using an email button to submit the form as a PDF. Once all the fields are filled out I need this document to save as a regular, unalterable, PDF. This will be emailed to a secretary who only has Acro Reader 8 (tho I could get her Acro Pro, I'd rather avoid buying another license) and she needs to save this electronically as a permanent copy of the file. When she receives the email tries to save though it says she can only save as a blank doc. This completely defeats the purpose of the exercise. The form needs to be submitted as a PDF doc not a PDF form. I'm stumped.

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2008 5:18 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    You can change your button to a submit button and set the URL to submit to as mailto://email address

If you search the web for the mailto protocol you will see that you can pass parameters for each part of the email.

You can change the submit as to PDF from XDP to make the form submit the entire PDF.

To be able to do this you will have to use Acrobat and not Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2008 7:53 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    Thank you kindly for your response. I have the mailto: set to the correct email address, and the Submit set to PDF rather than XDP. The email generates with no issues. However, I need the document to render as a true, unmodifiable, PDF, rather than a modifiable form. The reason for this is the secretary must save each submitted form in the employee's permanent record. As it stands, when she tries to "Save a Copy" it returns a message saying she can only save a blank document.

I know this must be a fairly simple exercise, but I am stumped as to how it can be done. Thank you again for your consideration of this matter!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2008 7:20 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    Everyone thanx for all your options and ideas!
    It works now, I have to set the form in Adobe Pro Reader extended and then it works fine!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2008 6:20 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    I have the problem of not being able to have my users in reader be able to email the forms in a PDF format to us. Like you said, we can email it to ourselves in acrobat pro, but not in reader. Now you mention that if you set the form in Adobe Pro Reader Extended, it will work. Is this an option in Adobe LiveCycle Designer or Acrobat Pro, or is it a whole different program?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2008 6:49 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    Reader Extensions are options you can add either through Acrobat Pro (Advanced -> Enable Usage Rights in Adobe Reader ...) or using LiveCycle ES Reader Extensions (through one of the endpoints or using the web page http://localhost:8080/ReaderExtensions/)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2008 7:58 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    We have created a simple PDF form for our clients to book in a job. Currently they fill it in manually and we receive it by fax. We have created this form with editable fields now, and would like to host this special PDF so it is 'browsable to' on our website. When filled in we would like to submit it to a PHP script which would process and then email the complete PDF to our production department, and another copy to the user. Is this possible? If so, how?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2008 11:00 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    Thank you Michael, that was a great help. I realized I locked the form with a password per another forum, so when I removed that and enabled the "Usage Rights in Adobe Reader" it worked. But NOW, when they submit it back to me, whether it is from Adobe Acrobat or Reader, the first field is blank which is our first name. Would you know anything about that?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2008 12:32 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    Check the bindings of the field and make sure they are not set to none.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2008 1:47 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    I've created a PDF Form which is to be used as a survey. Is there a way to send this form as the body text of an e-mail. The reason for asking is that if the survey appears as the text of the e-mail the recipient will not need to open an attachment

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2008 6:34 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    >You can change the submit as to PDF from XDP to make the form submit the entire PDF. <<br />
    How do I do this?

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2008 7:16 PM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    Open the LiveCycle Form Designer<br />Create your form<br />Then drag a button on to the form<br />select the button, then go to its object pallete, in the Field Tab make sure the control type is "Submit".Then go the submit tab, make sure the submit drop down list is "PDF", in the submit to url text box type in "mailto:<youremailaddress.com><br />save the from as PDF<br />Then open the form in Acrobat<br />Under Advanced menu there is a option called "Enable Usage Rights in Reader". Select this option then it asks to save your form.Save the form. This form can now be emailed when the user clicks the submit button

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2008 4:23 PM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    Well, I'll have to ask you where this supposed "submit" selection is in the "control type" area because it just isn't there. The ONLY two options that have the word submit in them are "Email Submit Button" and "HTTP Submit Button". There is NO "Submit button. Upon selecting either of the two I just mentioned, neither of them provides a "submit tab" from which to choose the drop down to select the submition as PDF. I'm using LifeCycle Designer 8.0. PLEASE tell me what the deal is here. Thanks.

Kurt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2008 5:34 PM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    If you drop a button from the standard palette (not an email button or a submit button). Then follow the instructions posted in WorkflowUser's post.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2008 4:27 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    Need help. I have designed a PDF file using LifeCycle and sent it to my co-workers to fill out and email it back to me by using the email button. The problem is it won't email them back to me when they ckick on the email button. Why????

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2008 6:25 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    Do they have an email client on their machine?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2008 6:45 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    Do you mean Outlook, if so "yes"

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2008 10:31 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    I still can get the pdf file to email back to me from anyone I email it to. PLease help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2008 11:20 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    post it to livecycle8@gmail.com and I will have a look

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2008 2:37 PM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    I tried going into properties and setting it as described in previous discussion; but it still comes out as the .xml deal. Any other suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2008 8:59 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    Okay, I had the same pdf problem mentioned above too. The form I created was being returned as an xml. I took Michael Hodgson's above suggestion of changing your button from an "Email submit button" to a plain old "Button". Then in the Object tab specify the Control Type as "Submit"...yada yada...Well, it worked...kind of...

Here's what happened. I have two email addresses. I had one of my emails set as the return address on the form and the other is where I sent the form as a test.

I received it as a pdf...so far so good. I then filled out the form, hit "submit" and it arrived in the at the appropriate email address as a pdf with the proper information filled in. Problem solved there.

HOWEVER...Anyone else I send the form to, recieves it, fills in the fields, hits "submit" and it never gets back to me. What am I doing wrong?

Please help!!! I need this up and running properly by tomorrow! Thanks...A Spano

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2008 10:36 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    Do they have a mail client on their machine? Is there a firewall or virus scan software blocking access to the email client?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2008 11:32 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    I get emails,attachments, etc. from this client all the time. There's never been a problem. I do have Norton but that's never been an issue before...Help!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2008 11:36 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    Also...The email client did in fact recieve the form. They filled in the fields and sent it back. I just never recieved it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2008 11:48 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    The form came back to me by one of recipients just fine. But it's not good if I'm getting some and not all. Still need help.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2008 11:46 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    I have a pdf form and when i email it out to people, when they send it back it comes to me in xml form. How do I get that return pdf into a pdf form when it is returned to me? Can you write step by step instructions please.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2008 7:22 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    I woudl change the original form to email back PDF instead of xdp. There have been many posts on this topic in the forum. There are a couple of different ways discussed on the forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2008 7:01 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    I have created a form which I need to send to all students at the medical school which i work in. They are to click the submit by email button when submitting this form to our supervisor. Our Supervisor however, does not want to be able to edit the form. Is there a way that you can create a form and have one person be able to edit it? that way when this person submits the form, whoever receives it should not be able to make any changes to the data fields.

Can someone guide me through this please? Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2008 7:59 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    You can either script the locking of all fields before sending it or sign the form.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2008 8:16 AM   in reply to (Paul_Urgero)
    OK. If I do that, would this allow the person I send it to, to be able to fill in the data? Because once they have entered the data in the form, they would need to submit the form to my supervisor, who doesnt want to be able to make any edits.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)