Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Importing problem

Mar 18, 2007 2:51 AM

I have had a few problems importing directly from the camera.

With my Nikon D70, some photos became corrupted - several previews had brightly coloured streaks across the lower half and then the file would not open in Lightroom, Bridge, RawShooter or Nikon Editor.

I have just bought a D200, and in the download of the first shoot, about 2% of the photos had an exclamation mark in the top right had corner when viewed in the library grid. When I double clicked on the exclamation mark, an error box appeared saying 'Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo. You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo'. The histogram didn't appear and despite it being a RAW file, the 2:1 view showed jpg artefacts. Upon trying to open these photos in develop mode or with Bridge, the error message seemed to indicate that something within the file indicated the end of the picture earlier than expected (though I haven't been able to reproduce this).

This problem is making me afraid of using Lightroom to import. Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, did you find a solution other than to use windows explorer to transfer the files instead of Lightroom?

Thanks very much,

David.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 18, 2007 5:29 AM   in reply to (David_Hill_DEH)
    I was playing around with RAW files a while ago, and found that by randomly changing a few bytes of data I would get brightly colored streaks from that point on in the picture. It turns out the Canon .CR2 files use a special lossless jpeg compression method inside the RAW file. I'm guessing Nikon's NEF does the same thing.

Are you using the same Compact Flash card? Perhaps it has some bad locations and that is what is corrupting your images. Alternatively, it could be that your hard drive is having problems--this would especially make sense if a file that was valid before is now corrupted. It seems unlikely to me that Lightroom is the source of the problem. I'd suggest running chkdsk on your hard drive and trying an alternate Compact Flash card.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2007 7:35 AM   in reply to (David_Hill_DEH)
    Create 1:1 previews on the folder (s) in question when you're doing something else outside of LR. You should be able to whiz through then. A few things you mention are consistent with LR processing in the bg, so that'll slow you down or give incompletions such as the three dots. <br /> <br /> <span style="color: rgb(102, 0, 204);">John "McPhotoman"</span> <font br="" /></font> color="#800000" size="2"&gt;~~ John McWilliams <br /> <br /> <br /> <br />MacBookPro 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo, G-5 Dual 1.8; <br />Canon DSLRs

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2007 7:50 AM   in reply to (David_Hill_DEH)
    This may seem like overkill or a pain, but converting to DNG will probably fail if there is a problem reading the RAW file. You could possibly use this as a way to check file integrity.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2007 7:53 AM   in reply to (David_Hill_DEH)
    It's under Library-> Render Previews, standard or 1:1.

As to corrupt files, I encounterd a rash of them a year ago, before I got involved with LR. There are a lot of variables, from card type and formatting thereof, card reader, OS at time of import, etc. There also are some problems with some card readers which at least one person changed to good effect.

The first thing I'd do is navigate to the folder in which those images live and check on file size- the good ones will be in a small range in size; the corrupt ones may be able to be identified by unusual small size.

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2007 9:00 AM   in reply to (David_Hill_DEH)
    Check those files on another converting app. Did you import with the files kept in their original locations on the HD? My advice is to always do so. Have you made certain that your D200 isn't corrupting them?

If LR is corrupting your files somehow, then I certainly hope you have kept the original RAWs backed up--a must in my opinion no matter what apps you are using!

There are a lot of variables here--isolate them one at a time with a test batch of images. If you have not actually imorted the files into LR, then simply start over, and be sure you do nothing else on your machine during the import--untl the progress bar in the upper left hand corner of Library disappears. Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2007 9:03 AM   in reply to (David_Hill_DEH)
    Don-
    He imported from a CF card.
    Why do you recommend importing by keeping in same place?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2007 4:40 PM   in reply to (David_Hill_DEH)
    The ! in a triangle means the metadata in the database and the metadata in the file or sidecar don't match. Click that badge to pick a resolution.

I never use Lr to download from camera. Canon's Zoombrowser has worked this long and I see no reason to switch that task. I also like having all the maker notes available.

If I've been working for a while in Lr, I'll see the ! in a square on some imports. If I close Lr and restart it they always clear.

Maybe you just need to use something else to download the files from the camera. A card reader should be all you need. Then just restart LR now and then. I keep the task manager (Win2000, XP, Vista?) in the task bar and check the memory usage now and then. On my system w/ 2GB of memory, Lr seems to get flaky as it gets up around 700MB. I'd also recommend keeping the database files defragged. If your doing a lot of work, this might need to be done every day.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2007 9:40 AM   in reply to (David_Hill_DEH)
    I do not believe that the reason for the "unexpected end-of-file" message is a corrupt raw file. I think the error message text does not report the real truth.

I had a folder with nef-images which all displayed properly in LR. Suddenly the problem with one single image occured in develop module. Afterwards I checked the corresponding raw file without LR. It has not been touched and is not currupt! LR has run into a problem, the raw file is ok!

See my detailed descripion in another thread (sorry for starting another thread): Very strange bugs - Unexpected end-of-file - LR database problem

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc3f664/0

> The ! in a triangle means the metadata in the database and the metadata in the file or sidecar don't match. Click that badge to pick a resolution.

Not exactly.

A ! in a RECTANGLE occurs often because of a metadata sync problem.

A ! in a TRIANGLE occurs because of the "unexpected end-of-file" scenario discussed here.

Obviously the TRIANGLE reports a serious problem. No resolution is suggested in the info box for this.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2007 9:23 PM   in reply to (David_Hill_DEH)
    I find the safest way to import files is to transfer them with a card reader to the hard disk, and then from the hard disk into LR. IMO, transferring directly from a camera should only be done as a last resort, as often takes longer and increases the chance of file corruption. Card readers are cheap insurance.

If you import them directly from your camera, any OS interrupt can also cause the import to be interrupted and might corrupt the transfer. It depends on the OS, the hardware, the number of applications running concurrently, and the amount of caching your computer is doing at any one time.

Another benefit to this approach is that you won't add wear and tear to the USB mini-port, not to mention the possibility of bending a pin and shorting it. It's a lot cheaper to replace a card reader than the circuitry in a camera.

Hope this helps ...

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2007 10:30 PM   in reply to (David_Hill_DEH)
    Windows Explorer is much more integrated with your OS than third party applications. In a similar way, iPhoto has hooks into the Mac OS.

With third party software, you'll get a much smoother import experience if you ingest from your HD. At least that's been my experience over the years. Best of luck ...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2007 8:29 PM   in reply to (David_Hill_DEH)
    I once saw this message ('Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo. You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo') after having copied a directory full of files from my laptop to my main desktop machine. Both running Lightroom; the files were .nef (Nikon raw files); I'd imported them into Lightroom on the laptop, applied a bunch of ratings and crop and developing information, saved all the metadata to XMP sidecar files, then copied the whole directory to the desktop machine. Upon importing the directory on the desktop machine, I got that error. I repeated the copy and it worked fine. I then used md5sum to compare the files which had been labelled ok to the ones which had been labelled invalid -- only the .XMP files were different (the .NEF files were the same on the laptop and both copies on the desktop).

I thought it was weird that Lightroom complained so much about bad XMP data that it wouldn't let me edit the underlying photos (I also thought it was weird the copy didn't work in the first place, but I'll attribute that to sunspots).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2007 7:08 PM   in reply to (David_Hill_DEH)
    Is this all right now? Did you run Import xmp info under the Metadata menu?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2007 4:53 AM   in reply to (David_Hill_DEH)
    I apologize if this message comes in at the wrong place but I haven't been able to find how to post a new thread!!

anyway, if anyone is listening

I just tried to import a bunch of NEF files directly from my D40x within Lightroom and well, they have become corrupted. I almost cried for the first time in years.

No other program I have can open them. I did not back them up before import.

CAN CORRUPTED FILES BE FIXED ?!?!?! AT ALL?!?!
    or am I completely out of luck

thank you SOOO much for ANY response
    -Spencer

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2007 6:29 AM   in reply to (David_Hill_DEH)
    >I apologize if this message comes in at the wrong place but I haven't been able to find how to post a new thread!!

Go to the Main Topic listing, then you can "add topic".

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2007 8:12 AM   in reply to (David_Hill_DEH)
    Metamatt-

Pardon the interjection, but do you have an ongoing problem or is it sorted now?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2007 10:37 AM   in reply to (David_Hill_DEH)
    I am having this same problem, the files in my case are NOT corrupted yet I still get the "Lightroom has encountered a problem reading this file" error, If I remove all the files, and then just add back the problem files it will work?! Yet, if I try to add more files chances are those will end up giving me the above error.. I've wiped, and tried to reload my images into Lightroom 4-5 times now.. each time it's the same thing.. As of now I uninstalled it, and I am now going to try to re-install.. It's a good thing that I just downloaded the trial, as if this would be happening with a paid copy I'd be pretty ticked off... Unless I can get some sort of resolution, I won't be purchasing this product as much as I was liking how it worked when I just tried importing 1 folder of files.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)