Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom Export dpi problem

Aug 6, 2007 6:26 PM

Since I upgraded from Lightroom 1.0 to 1.1 I have noticed when I export from 300 dpi it opens at 72 dpi in Elements 4. When exporting I have the dpi set to 300 dpi but when I open it in Elements 4 it clearly says its only 72 dpi.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Is this just operator error?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 6, 2007 7:23 PM   in reply to (Drew_Kalocai)
    >when I open it in Elements 4 it clearly says its only 72 dpi.

But what are the other dimensions? 6 inches at 300dpi is the same thing as 25 inches at 72dpi (1800 pixels).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2007 4:49 AM   in reply to (Drew_Kalocai)
    > Dimensions are 36 inches x 54 inches. I realize all computer images are displayed at 72 dpi (i think).

Drew,

Not sure what purpose you are exporting the images for. And I don't think there is any error, just some confusion about what DPI means.

You can ignore the DPI setting if you are exporting images for screen display since it is not relevant at all. DPI is a printing term - for screen display, image size is determined solely by pixel dimensions. So if you want to post images on the web or send them by email set the image dimensions to something that will fit on ordinary screens (ie 800x600 pixels or whatever size you need). Obviously an image that is 36x54" is not going to fit on anybody's monitor and will take forever to upload and download! :)

I don't have Elements but assume that it shows 72dpi by default for an image intended for screen display. I don't know why Adobe even has a DPI setting for images intended for screen display - they should change this since it is confusing.

I don't have a printer but I assume that when you are actually ready to print your images, you can then set the DPI to 300 or whatever you need.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2007 1:17 PM   in reply to (Drew_Kalocai)
    This is a bug since LR1.0. There is a meta data field in a jpeg image that specifies the dpi for use by output devices to best render the image as specified, LR fails to set this meta data field correctly when exporting.

In most instances this is not an problem but it does becomes an issue when you use a print house that has a variable resolution printer as it doesn't know how big you intended the final output to be. So you give them a 3000x2000 pixel image and they will not know what dpi to print it at, well they do as they'll print it at 72dpi which is wrong....

I reported this to Adobe and I hope they fix it when they get round to improving the whole export functionality which is fairly poor in 1.1.

Richard

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2007 4:48 PM   in reply to (Drew_Kalocai)
    >becomes an issue when you use a print house that has a variable resolution printer as it doesn't know how big you intended the final output to be. So you give them a 3000x2000 pixel image and they will not know what dpi to print it at, well they do as they'll print it at 72dpi which is wrong....

Richard,
    Sorry, but that sounds peculiar--even silly. That metadata field is not intended to determine printer output. As said many times, an image file has no dpi (or ppi); it has pixel dimensions (as submitted by you), and then you--I assume-- make a request for some specific print size (don't you?). That's all that's needed. The resolution, ppi , is thusly determined. If some "print house" looks at this metadata and would ignore your requested print size, you need to do business elsewhere.

Phil

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2007 2:51 PM   in reply to (Drew_Kalocai)
    Drew,

I don't have a printer and never had an image printed but from what I read, the DPI setting that you see in LR or Elements is irrelevant. As Phil said above, if you submit an image to a print house that is, lets say, 3500x2500 pixels in size and you ask for a 10x15" print, then the DPI is automatically determined by those factors - image dimensions and desired print size. You don't need to tell the print house what DPI to use, they will compute DPI from image size and requested print size.

So you can submit your images to the camera shop and ask for some 4x6 prints and some 10x15 prints and they will both come out fine. :)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)