Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Editing in LR en Photoshop

Aug 18, 2007 7:13 AM

I wonder whether it is possible, without unwanted consequences, after opening a photo in LR, to edit same in PS, subsequently edit in LR and thereafter if necessary edit again in PS, eventually going back in LR.

For instance being in LR I prefer first to go to PS for applying Noise Ninja noise reduction which is best done before any other editing, and then edit in LR and if necessary thereafter in PS.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 18, 2007 12:32 PM   in reply to Harry Briels
    Harry,

Sending a raw image to Photoshop and using NoiseNinja will create a copy (PSD, TIFF, JPEG, depending on your preferences) and send that to Photoshop. This image will be part of your library. After editing and saving the images in PS, these changes are visible in Lightroom. If you will do further image correction in Lightroom on this file (now not the raw file) and you want to do some further editing in Photoshop with the recent adjustments in Lightroom applied you need again create a copy with Lightroom adjustments.

It is probably the best to make Lightroom Adjustment only to the raw files at the beginning of the workflow.

Kind regards

Thomas
    Munich, Germany

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2007 11:51 AM   in reply to Harry Briels
    From the LR Help File
    Edit in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements

You can do additional editing to your photo using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements from within Lightroom. You must have either Photoshop or Photoshop Elements installed on your computer for this feature to be available.

1. In the Library module or Develop module, select the photos you want to edit, and choose Photo > Edit In Adobe Photoshop or Edit in Adobe Photoshop Elements.
    2. In the Edit Photo dialog box, select one of the following:
    Edit Original

Edits the original file without Lightroom adjustments. (JPEG, TIFF, and PSD only)
    Edit A Copy

Edits a copy of the original file without Lightroom adjustments. (JPEG, TIFF, and PSD only)
    Edit A Copy With Lightroom Adjustments

Edits a copy of the original file with Lightroom adjustments visible.

When sending a copy to the external editor, the newly created file is automatically added to the library.
    3. Click Edit.

After making edits in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, you will be prompted to save any changes to the photo sent from Lightroom. Be sure not to do a Save As and rename the photo because the newly-created photo will not be automatically added to the library.

Important: When saving from Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, be sure to turn on the Maximize Compatibility option so that images can be read by Lightroom. Photoshop CS2 automatically saves PSD files from Lightroom with maximum compatibility.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2007 12:16 PM   in reply to Harry Briels
    Harry

Yes you are right, noise reduction should be done at the beginning and 3rd party tools often do a better job than LR.

I was referring to the fact that once you send an image to Photoshop for further editing you leave the raw realm. If you do further editing in LR on the non-Raw image file (JPG, TIF or PSD), you will need to create an additional image file, if you want to do further editing in PS with the second round of LR adjustments incorporated.

So once you have left the raw realm, to my understanding back and forth editing in between LR and PS isn't that seamless as it sounds, as you need to create a new file each time (option edit a copy with Lightroom adjustments). Thus my recommendation to keep Lightroom adjustments to the beginning of the workflow.

Correct me, if you think my view is wrong.

Kind regards

Thomas
    Munich, Germany

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2007 12:49 PM   in reply to Harry Briels
    IMHO I believe LR's strength is in the conversion of raw files in its develop module. I would do the following.
    1.) Process in LR develop module, with the raw data, using all the tools you need there.
    2.) Send this file to PS as a tiff or psd.
    3.)The tiff/psd will be a true first generation image file with no prior pixel editing. You can then use NN to reduce noise as your first pixel editing and do further editing, sharpening etc in PS.
    4.) Return the tiff/psd to LR.

You can try both processes and see which gives the best final result.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2007 8:55 AM   in reply to Harry Briels
    My point is that the raw file is not and image file and only becomes one when the raw converter produces the image file. LR has not "edited" the file hence the psd sent to Photoshop is the first original image file. If the original file in LR was a tiff or Jpg then I could understand your concern.
    Even if you sent the file from LR without making any additional adjustments LR would have applied its default settings in rending the raw file.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)