Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom WONT delete photos from disk

Nov 23, 2007 9:38 AM

I understand the diffrencce between deleting a photo from LR verses completely deleting from the disk.

However when I try to "delete a photo from disk" through light room it remains on my disk no matter what i do.

I do click the option "delete from disk" verses "remove" from LR

any ideas on what is happening here?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 23, 2007 11:17 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    Are you in grid view, loupe, and which module. What sort of image? Platform, OS.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2007 11:48 PM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    That would be correct behavior, I believe the manual states that Lightroom moves the file to the recycle bin, so technically it is still on your disk. Is the file being moved at all or are you saying it remains in its original location despite your choosing remove from disk?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2007 7:42 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    Discovered the same problem this AM, Lightroom v.3 no longer deletes the rejected photo from the disk when asked to do so following ctrl+backspace
    Problem began after downloading v.3
    I'm on a PC and it doesn't matter what view I am in.
    Richard

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2007 11:32 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    Richard,

Works fine here (Win XP Home). What OS? Any other details that might help explain why it doesn't work for you, but does for me?

--John

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2008 8:44 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    I'm having the same problem. I have LR 1.3.1 on a Windows Vista Ultimate OS. When I try and delete rejected pictures it only offers to remove the photo. The delete option is no longer there. So is this a bug or a feature? Personally I would like the option back.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2008 8:51 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    David, are you deleting from a collection?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2008 8:56 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    Yes, I was tagging photos and had selected a collection with a specific tag. When I go back to folders all is well. Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2008 9:21 PM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    Where are your photos stored? My understanding is that LR will not delete photos that are stored on a network location/NAS.

regards
    Raf

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2008 4:50 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    Rafael, different problem. this one was solved.

Wrong area of Library.

Don
    Don Ricklin, MacBook 2Ghz Duo 2 Core running 10.5.1 & Win XP, Pentax *ist D
    See LR Links list at my Blog for related sites.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2008 8:53 PM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    This problem is still occurring with version 3.1 on Windows Vista. There is no longer an option to delete the photo in the menus (top or context) and when you press backspace or delete the file disappears from the catalog view but no prompt shows up to confirm disk delete and the item remains in the same location on the hard disk. Please post a solution if one is found.

Lightroom version: 1.3.1 [403270]
    Operating system: Windows Vista Professional (Build 6000)
    Version: 6.0 [6000]
    Application architecture: x86
    System architecture: x86
    Physical processor count: 2
    Built-in memory: 1021.5 MB
    Processor speed: 1.9 Ghz
    Real memory available to Lightroom: 612.9 MB
    Real memory used by Lightroom: 120.1 MB (19.5%)
    Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 112.5 MB
    Memory cache size: 113.3 MB
    Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.3
    Library Path: D:\photos\Lightroom\Lightroom Database.lrcat

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2008 11:12 PM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    Rafael -
    LR deletes fine from a NAS, but the NAS does not have a recycle bin that the local computer can recognize, so it is a permanent delete instead of a recoverable delete.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2008 7:45 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    Hi,
    I do have the same problem on a MacBook with a network drive. When I delete a photo I want it to be gone! Does anybody know how to solve this? Can't we switch the trash-can off?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 1:12 PM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    I am having the same issue with version 1.4 of LR (vista biz edition) -- no option to physically delete the photo.

any answers for this one yet ?
    thx
    Travis

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 2:07 PM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    Travis,
    LR Version 1.4 was withdrawn by Adobe a few days after its release due to several serious bugs.
    Its replacement update version 1.4.1 should be installed if you have not already done so.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 2:33 PM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    .. version 1.4.1 has been installed -- same issue

thx
    Travis

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 3:42 PM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    Folder is read only/locked?

You're not in a folder view?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2008 7:42 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    looked like the folder was "read only" .. anyways, hitting the delete key does the trick .. thanks for the tips

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2008 10:26 PM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    To delete a picture, I believe that you have to be in Library mode and have the folder that the picture resides in hilighted in the left pane. Oops - it seems that isn't the issue here, as you are given the "delete from disk" option. Nevertheless, I stumbled early on, on why I would not sometimes get the "delete from disk" option.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2008 3:56 PM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    I'm also having the same problem. I use Vista Home and Lightroom 2.1. My Lightroom Catalog is located in my "My Pictures" folder. Like the others, I can delete the file from the catalog but cannot delete the file from the disk even though the file is marked as rejected. In the Library Module, Grid View, when I click "Photo" from the drop-down menu, the "Delete Rejected Photo" is grayed out. Today is the first day I noticed it. I've never had this problem before.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2008 9:19 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    Hi everybody... I've found the solution for this issue on Vista. You need to run Lightroom under the administrator to be able to perform delete from disk. To do so go in Start/programs and right click on adobe Lightroom and then select: run as administrator. Then select the all files in the left pane of the library. Under the Photo menu just select: delete rejected photos. Tadan!

Worked for me... hope this can help all of you.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2008 8:25 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    >... I've found the solution for this issue on Vista. You need to run Lightroom under the administrator to be able to perform delete from disk.

Although I do not use Vista I find this very difficult to believe.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2008 3:18 PM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    Wolf depending on where you have your catalog Vista may require higher permissions to delete certain files and or folders. This happens more often then not when someone has folders and files in their "User" folder.

You can also right click the icon and select properties have the icon "default" load " run as administrator" each time.

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2008 11:11 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    I am having the same issue of files being deleted from LR but not the hard drive. I tried running under administrator mode and deleting.

The file was still there and appeared again when I synchronized the folder.

HELP!

Win Vista Home Premium
    4 drives under RAID 5 totaling 1 TB
    4GB RAM
    Quad Core

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2008 3:49 PM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    Find the folder where the inages are.

Right click on the folder.

Check properties\ security and make sure you have permision to change things in the folder.

You may have have a permission setting that does not allow you full control over the folder, even if you are running under adminstraive mode.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2008 3:46 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    Hi,

To permanently delete a file in Lightroom 2.x I've found it's necessary to first select "Delete photos" with a right-click of the mouse. Simply hitting the delete key will bring up the exact same menu which gives you the option of (supposedly) permanently deleting from disk or simply removing from the catalog. Unfortunately, the files are only ever really removed from the disk if you access this dialog box via the right mouse button - hitting delete on the keyboard will not permanently delete anything. They'll come back from the dead like zombies if you synch the folder, and if you look at the actual file in the OS they were never really gone in the first place. :(

What a stupid bug.

-Matt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2008 8:11 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    There's no bug on this: Most of us are perfectly able to delete images from disk without any trouble.

There is a concurrent thread with various pointers; please see it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2008 8:52 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    Umm, thanks for the link err I mean tip, John. I'll go search now.

-Matt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2008 8:57 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    Good on ya, Matt.

Most folk here answering questions are unpaid, overworked, underloved, over hassled, under.... well, only the first is true for all of us. I had confidence that you would and could do your own search after the, um, tip.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2008 9:39 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    OK, I just spent a half hour searching for whatever John may have been talking about and by chance actually found something on page 6 within the countless threads regarding deleting photos on this forum that actually helped me. I have no idea if it is what John was referring to, and I can't stress enough how much I don't care.

Thankfully for anyone else out there with this problem who might stumble across this, I am going to directly post the solution, right here, right now, in this very thread, in the hopes that I will at some point save someone (or even several people! wouldn't that be cool?) a half hour of their lives.

Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Delete does the trick for me with LR 2.1. The photos are truly gone, out of the catalog, and out of the file on the disk for good, even after a synch.

I repeat: a program that tells you it will delete photos from disk and does not do so has a bug. A stupid one.

-Matt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2008 8:38 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    THANKS MATT!!

I didn't have to search all morning for a solution to delete photos from my disk. The solution you so conveniently posted worked like a charm!

Bug or no, not being able to readily delete photos from my disk and not just the catalog is definitly a flaw...

Thanks again Matt for doing the legwork for me.

- Darlene

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2008 9:43 PM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    THANK YOU MATT!!

FINALLY a solution to my problem...no more transfering rejected photos to a special "to be deleted" folder!!!

Merry Christmas

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2008 8:24 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Delete; well I'm sorry to say this nor any of the other solutions or recommendations are working for me. This problem has been giving me a fit for a week. Running LR 2.1, Vista Ultimate and everything else I need with negative results. Does anyone have a solution or a recommendation for a better program that might work? I'm having the same problems with Elements 7 where I can only delete from the catalog but not from the drive or disk. All I can say is this is so frustrating. And yes everything runs as Administrator.

TIA
    G Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2008 10:08 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    You've checked to make sure there are no restrictions on any of the folders that contain images? Can you manually delete in Explorer? (Not that that is an acceptable solution, but to test.)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2008 1:41 PM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Del does the trick for me too... Thanks a TON Matt and you indeed did save 1/2 hour of my life...

The keyboard delete button brings up a button which says files will be deleted from the disk but they are not... I don't think OS should determine the behavior of end user software, the software should be tested for it and made for it... Certainly this is a big usability issue (stupid bug as Matt puts it), this thread started in Nov 2007 and is still being discussed in Dec 2008, why doesn't Lightroom team care...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2008 5:18 PM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    > ... this thread started in Nov 2007 and is still being discussed in Dec 2008, why doesn't Lightroom team care...

I have no idea what the Lr team thinks or cares about but when I delete from Lr and it asks to delete from disk that is what happens. (Actually the file goes to the Windows Recycle Bin).

Why deletes apparently fail to work on other systems is a mystery to me.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2009 9:24 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    Wow I can't believe Adobe hasn't posted an answer to this problem. Ok I found the answer/problem. You have to make sure that when you are importing your pics that you are only adding the photos without moving. By doing this you are leaving the pics in the original location and lightroom will then go to that location to delete them.

By default lightroom is set up to Copy the photos to a new location inside lightroom so that would be where lightroom thinks the pics are located. When you click delete from disk, lightroom deletes them from the new location.
    So when you click import, find your pics, and a import photo box will appear. In the file handling drop down menu, click add photos to catalog without moving. Then try the deleting process again and you should be fine!

♥Melissa

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2009 10:42 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    There's no "inside lightroom" for your image files. They are copied to the location of your choice.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2009 9:28 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    Hmmm. I guess this is one of those magic "magnet" threads..........

Melissa-

It could be important for you to know exactly where your images are located- this in case of a crash, a disk failure, backup procedures, etc. It's not you I am singling out, but anyone who is uncertain how images are handled, and what gets backed up by LR: Only the catalog, which itself contains no images nor Previews.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2009 10:37 AM   in reply to (MIchael_J_Howard)
    Um, very interesting. I have my images located on an EHD and backed up to another EHD (thank heavens) because something very strange happened today which I believe now explains previously lost images. With LR open but no editing taking place I happened to look inside the Recycle Bin (Windows). Low and behold within the Bin were six images that were previously contained within the catalogue and somehow mysteriously relocated to the Recycle Bin. Reducing LR's on-screen window size I then expanded the Recycle Bin window so now I had both open on screen. Upon exiting LR the icons for the missing images disappeared from the Recycle Bin so the question is, were they never there really, were the icons in the Bin simply ghosts or did LR simply delete images of it's own free will? Either way, I never now leave LR open whilst doing other work, and most certainly when empyting the Recycle Bin.

And yes, briefly back OT - I too have noticed on many an occasion LR not deleting images from disk when requested, only from the catalogue. In this instance what I do is a fresh import which of course shows these images as being the latest import at the top of the tree and with only these images shown in the main library window. When selecting all and opting for Delete from Disk they are in fact completely deleted and end up in the Recycle Bin.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)