Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

An error occurred while attempting to change modules

Apr 11, 2008 8:55 AM

I installed Lightroom and when starting the program I get, "An error occurred while attempting to change modules." I get this message within the program when clicking on any of the top right menu items. Also, importing a photo is not listed in the file menu. I deleted the preference file and Lightroom folder in my user preference and reinstalled. I tried many reinstalls, it still has reoccurring error message. Anyone now a fix? I'm running 10.5 on a Core Duo with 2meg of RAM on a 320 gig hard drive with lots of room.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2008 11:59 AM   in reply to (tevlee)
    What version of LR are you installing?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2008 12:47 PM   in reply to (tevlee)
    This was a bug in LR 1.2 on Leopard. It was fixed with LR 1.3. Ensure you're using LR 1.3 or later (1.4.1 was released yesterday).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2008 2:23 PM   in reply to (tevlee)
    Trash the Lightroom .plist file

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2008 4:57 AM   in reply to (tevlee)
    I've encountered the same problem running Mac OSX 10.4.11 and Lightroom 1.4.1. It started when I upgraded from 1.3 to 1.4.1. The error only occurs when I access a certain LR catalog. Unfortunately the catalog in question contains all my photos.

I removed and reinstalled LR. I tried opening the catalog in question from another Mac with LR 1.3 installed and received the same error.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2008 8:08 AM   in reply to (tevlee)
    I am running OSX 10.4.11. I have the identical problem after updating to LR1.4.1. I deleted LR from the Mac Applications folder, and installed LR1.0 on an external HD. It worked OK till I upgraded that to LR1.4.1, and then I got the same error message.

Has the DB been compromised, or is this only a program error?

Associated question: when I first deleted LR from the Mac HD, and tried to re-install it, I received a message something like: "there is nothing to instal". So I installed it on a remote HD. What is keeping some remnant of the program on the HD, even after it is deleted and the Trash is emptied. I assume it is this "remnant" that prevented re-installation of LR on the Mac HD.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2008 9:53 AM   in reply to (tevlee)
    Is there a way to verify and repair the SQLite database? Since Lightroom in my instance is able to open other catalogs on the same disk and I get the same error opening the suspect catalog on a different Mac/LR, I suspect the LR program is OK but maybe the file may be corrupt.

I performed a volume-wide disk verify using the Mac Disk Utility and the disk checked out alright.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2008 6:33 PM   in reply to (tevlee)
    OK, Lightroom mysteriously healed itself. I again accessed the corrupt catalog from a different MAC running Lightroom 1.3. When I accessed the catalog Lightroom didn't do anything. No panels were displayed just the Lightroom bar on the top. I couldn't open another catalog nor create a new one. Lightroom just sat there, unresponsive or so I thought. I finally shut down the Mac and came home.

Much to my surprise when I started Lightroom thinking that I would have to start piecing together my catalog from all the DNG files sprinkled around the drive, Lightroom came to life. What a pleasant surprise. Except it's annoying to wonder what I did to fix it. I did nothing. So if this happens again to anyone I guess my advice is to keep trying to access the catalog. This is not a good testament to the quality of Lightroom.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2008 9:35 AM   in reply to (tevlee)
    I've had the same problem and did the reinstall and update thing you all did. It turned out my permissions were corrupted. On Mac, I had to set up another log in name (for startup) and Lightroom worked like a charm!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2010 10:10 AM   in reply to (tevlee)

For what it is worth, I was unable to change to the Web and Print modules, and I was also unable to record new presets (though I had successfully done it many times before) though I could still use already created ones.  I was baffled, but found a workaround using hints from this and other forums.  Much thanks to those who provided me with a starting point as I never would have figured this out on my own.

My wife is a separate user on the same computer, and I tried switching our catalogues and preference files, ... nada.  Looking at her folder structure under user/library/application support/adobe/lightroom, she had folders for Web Templates, Web Galleries, and Print Templates but I didn't.  So, simply copying her folders (not creating new ones of the same name, which may still have worked) into my own lightroom directory worked. 

Where I screwed up initially was tryiong to use my own presets under her install of lightroom and then creating new ones (which worked) but then trying to import them back into mine.  I had the new presets working under my own install, but still couldn't create new ones under my own setup.  Finally, I realized that it was the "Develop Presets" folder under my own install that was in some way corrupted and copied her Develop Presets folder into my own install and every thing was fixed. I could even copy the subfolders from my own Develop Presets folder directly back in without issue.

Hope this helps someone.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2011 2:48 AM   in reply to (tevlee)

Hi,

Try the following step

-Close lr .

-Go to users>user>library>appsupport>adobe>select lightroom folder and drag it to desktop.

Issue resolved.

Cheers

Shivam 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2011 6:16 AM   in reply to shivam wadhawan

Shivam's solution worked for me, but I was not able to drag the Lightroom to the Desktop (it only copied the files to my Desktop, it did not move them).  OS X Lion seems to be protecting that folder, so every change requred a password.  I renamed the Lightroom folder to xLightroom.  Then I created a new Lightroom folder (this was an essential step).  When I next launched the Lightroom app it worked!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2011 2:32 AM   in reply to (tevlee)

Hey in order to acess library folder in lion osx you need to follow some diff steps

Use “Go To Folder” and Open ~/Library/ Directly

-

Hold Option and Use the “Go” Menu to Show Library

-

Access ~/Library from the Terminal

Try anyone of them.....

Cheers

Shivam

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...