Skip navigation
Roy Shopland
Currently Being Moderated

PSE 6  - Camera Raw 4.3.1 update.

Feb 1, 2008 2:52 AM

Each time I run the update checker it downloads Camera Raw 4.3.1 plug in but each time I try to instal the update I get a message "Photoshop Elements File Agent.exe needs closing". I am not aware that any Photoshop programme is open when this message appears. It seems that I have the latest plugin (13.11.07) installed in Elements. Can anyone explain this.
Many thanks.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 1, 2008 4:58 AM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    ACR 4.3.1 has to be installed manually. Turn the Updater off (Editor / Help)
    and download the file from the Adobe site. Follow all instructions and you
    should not have any problems.
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3830

Juergen

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2008 9:08 AM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    Yesterday by coincidence I downloaded the 4.3.1 update and followed the "read me first" instructions on the Adobe site re the RAW "plug in" and followed them to the letter and it worked the first time for me (a novice). Cheers.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2008 9:20 AM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    How Do I add a new topic to this PSE6 forum? when I click on List in the PSE6 forum there is no button to Add New Topic as there is in other forums??? Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2008 9:23 AM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    Thanks that helps me also. I have PSE 6 (will be installing today or tomorrow, just received). I also have LR 1.3.1, and was wondering how the camera raw interacts with both programs. Do I install it once? I remember previous installs before I got LR, and it was always in a PSE folder. Does LR see that? I don't know what Adobe has going on in the background (folders) now.

Thanks, MichaelM

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2008 12:20 PM   in reply to (Gordon_Johnson)
    Gordon,
    Click on top of the page on Photoshop Elements Technical Issues
    http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbb4ab0/ and then on that page click on
    Add Topic.

Juergen

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2008 8:37 PM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    Good day,
    Unfortunately I've not had the same success with Camera Raw 4.3.1 for Windows and I'm wondering if there may be another detail that needs attention. As instructed by both the website and the PDF file I relocated the existing camera raw file from the path indicated, downloaded the zipped release, unzipped the contents, and placed the new camera raw file as indicated. C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi
    Unzipped it is 10202KB.
    All this was accomplished with PSE6.0 closed down. Upon startup I attempted to load a set of RAW files from my Canon 40D. Unfortunately I get a message indicating "No Valid Files Found". The CF on the Camera contains about 120 RAW images. Just to be sure, these are RAW not sRAW. No JPEG was captured, so I just shot two more images with both RAW and JPEG but only the JPEG's were then accepted for loading into PSE 6.0.
    The Firmware version is 1.0.4 and I'm using Windows Vista.
    Ideas? Are there permissions issues possibly? Well I became administrator, opened up the permissions for the users and administrator, and 'UNBLOCKED' the file. Restarted PSE6.0.
    Still no luck.
    If you have a suggestion I'm all ears. Thanks,
    Marty

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2008 10:32 PM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    If I remember correct;y there was an issue with Canon 40D raw files and Adobe Camera Raw. I think it was resolved with ACR 4.3.1 so that the firmware version was not supposed to matter. Nontheless, firmware v1.0.4 was short-lived and was succeeded by 1.0.5 which is current to my knowledge. I use a 40D and PSE6 on a desktop XP machine and a laptop Vista machine. No problems with either. I load the .cr2 files from the CF card to the machine hard drive with a card reader. The "get files" function in PSE Organizer can find and load them and ACR opens them in Editor. You should rename the old CameraRaw.8bi file to something like CameraRaw.old just to be sure that it isn't fouling up the works. Your path for the ACR 4.3.1 sounds correct. Consider updating the camera firmware as it is a good idea in any case and try renaming the old ACR .8bi file.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2008 12:23 AM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    Michael.....

LR doesn't use the Photoshop ACR Plug-in, it has it's own in built processor.

Colin

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2008 9:49 AM   in reply to William Baer
    There was a problem with the 40D 1.0.4 firmware not being compatible with
    ACR 4.3 or 4.3.1. Version 1.0.5 is even newer and probably also not
    compatible. I think the consensus was that there is no other choice than to
    wait for ACR 4.4.

Juergen

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2008 10:56 AM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    I have a problem just reinstalled entire system applied the raw plugin just as it says but some of my raw files will not open i use a nikon d50 if i go into editor and select each file individually it will open and show a thumbnail otherwise its just blank any ideas please

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2008 10:30 PM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    Response for intial Post :

ACR Update : Photoshop Elements does not check for ACR update. We need to download the plugin from Adobe site & copy it at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 7.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats

FileAgent.exe : FileAgent.exe always run on your systems whether PSE is running or not. I case you get any message, you need to stop the process from Task Manager. FileAgent generally run everytime to track changes in watched folders.

+ Ripple

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2008 11:54 AM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    Regarding Camera Raw 4.3.1 for the Macintosh version of PSE 6, I am having a somewhat similar problem. The updater keeps trying to install the 4.3.1 update, but I always get an error message saying that it cannot find Camera Raw on my computer.

Where should I place the folder Camera Raw 4 so that the updater can find it?? It is currently where the installer put it originally: Top Level->Library->Application Support->Adobe->Camera Raw 4

The manual download/installation mentioned above is only for the Windows platform.
    Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2008 12:56 PM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    The updater cannot do anything with ACR. I presume you mean you want to install 4.4.1, since 4.3.1 comes with PSE 6/mac. Download it here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=40&platform =Macintosh

then follow the directions on that page, which say to place it in:

Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS3/File Formats

The updater has never successfully updated ACR in any version of PSE and I suggest you turn it off entirely. It's nothing but a nuisance, really, since there have hardly ever been any updates for PSE.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 12:03 PM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    From Ken R

Re: Camera Raw 4.3.1 removal

I have similar problem trying to install 4.4.1 on a PSE 6/mac setup. I read that I have to manually remove the old Camera Raw from the plug-in folders before replacing it with the new 4.4.1. I cannot find a Camera Raw 4.3.1 plug-in listed in either the PSE or the Bridge folders. Yet when I check the About Plug-in profile for Camera Raw, it shows the 4.3.1 as being there. Please advise just where and what am I looking for to be removed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 12:41 PM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    I have Elements 6 and Lightroom. I did update ok by just renaming and moving out the old .8bi ? file and inserting the new one in the Elements folder structure as instructed.

But, the quirk comes with when I upgraded Lightroom FIRST to 1.4.1 ? the LR About dialog said the new version AND the new version of ACR, even though I had not installed it yet.

But, the ACR install did work ok.

Now, my issue is whether ACR is accurately rendering and presenting my raw files as well as Capture NX would. I have NX also which came with my Nikon D300 camera. Rumor is that NX does a better job on Nikon RAW (.NEF) files than LR and Elements does.

Any knowledge of any of the above?

MichaelM
    West Hartford, CT USA

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 1:23 PM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    Ken, you are looking in the wrong place. In PSE 6 it's hard drive>library>application support>adobe>photoshop elements>6.0>plug-ins>CS3>File Formats.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 2:01 PM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    Barbara,

I don't understand that.
    Mine is in \Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats, Camera Raw.8bi.

Or, does he have CS3 and PSE 6?
    I only have PSE6.

Is LR picking that up also for me?

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 2:23 PM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    No, the proper place to put the plug-in for PSE 6 is the file path I gave. If you put it where you say, Elements will not recognize it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 2:23 PM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    Oops, Ken has a Mac. You gave the windows file path, which, of course, is different.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2008 6:07 PM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    Aah. I was just about to write that I don't have any pieces of the path you gave.

So. For mine, I did put it where PSE 6 told me to and does LR see it there?

\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats, Camera Raw.8bi.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2008 9:22 AM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    Hi Colin (sorry for the delay but I thought I would be notified of responses and must not have checked the box for this one),

If LR has it's own ACR then that also explains why their installation dialog did say LR 1.4.1 version, Camera Raw 4.4.1 version, when I had not installed ACR at all at that point.

Do we know if ACR, either PSE or LR, can read the 14 bit RAW files from the D300, and is 4.4.1 considered accurate with .NEF's now?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 4, 2008 4:42 PM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    >f ACR, either PSE or LR, can read the 14 bit RAW files from the D300,

Yes, ACR 4.4.1 and LR 1.4.1 can.

>and is 4.4.1 considered accurate with .NEF's now?

That's a subjective call.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2008 6:17 PM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    Thanks Ramon,

MichaelM

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2008 8:30 AM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    MANY Thanks Barbara - it was found and works. On my computer set up, it was found under the HD/applications/library/applications support/plug-ins/cs3/file format location. Slightly different than your location. Under the applications support, there was Photoshop Elements but no plug in sub-folder nor a Camera Raw listed. I opened PSE6 to check and the plug in profile now reads 4.4.1.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2008 3:50 PM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    When I try to use the editor function on any Olympus Raw photo file (ORF), I get a message that says Elements can not write the format and asks what format I would like the photo converted to.

I have downloaded the latest version of the conversion file and have Camera Raw.8bi in the correct location (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats). Why is the Elements Raw format not an option.

Did I need the file loaded when I downlaod the photos from the camera? Should I run the Converter program on all ORF photo files - a lot of files as my camera stores all photos as JPG and ORF.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2008 4:39 PM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    I don't understand what you are doing, Robert. Elements cannot write to the .orf format. It can't write to any raw format--only your camera can do that, but I don't get when you are seeing such a message. If you open a file in ACR, make your conversion, then save it in the editor, you should see a list of standard image formats (tiff, jpeg, etc.) in which to save.

Can you explain your workflow?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2008 4:44 AM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    I am a computer luddite.........i have installed elements 6 but the RAW photos in my camera dont want to transfer to the computer.....can someone provide a computer for dummies answer for me.......thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2008 5:57 AM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    Elements does not transfer your photos. You have to do that. What happens when you plug in your camera or card reader?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2008 3:43 PM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    PSE 6 for Mac - Adobe Camera Raw 4.6 Update failed to install
    Installer message: The Updater is unable to locate the product to be updated.

Hello - I've tried to research this error message with previous updates, as I've gotten it with every Camera Raw update I've been notified of since I purchased PSE 6 for Mac. But I've been unable to track anything down on the knowledge bases and earlier searches of the forum. I'm hoping someone here can direct me.
    I love "enhancing" my photos with PSE6 - great product. Now, I'm getting my nerve up to try shooting in RAW, so I thought I'd better get this issue resolved.
    Please let me know if you need more info re my problem.
    Thanks - JW

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2008 5:22 PM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    The updater can NEVER install the ACR plug-in. Go here and download it, unzip it and put the plug-in into Hard drive>application support>adobe>Plug-ins>CS 3>File Formats. Remove the old version first.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2008 5:23 PM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    Oops, forgot download link:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=40&platform =Macintosh

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2008 10:38 AM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    Hi Barbara-thank you for solving my problem getting the update for my Mac so that I can now open NEF files with my Nikon D90! P.S. love your PSE6 for Mac book. Regards, Charles Becker (Toronto). :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2008 6:13 AM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    Can someone help a newbie how to find: hard drive/application support/adobe/plug-ins/cs3/fileformat as advised for OSX. All I can do is go to HardDrive/appliciations/adboe/plug-ins and then File Formats No where an I find CS3 or what I should remove before updating Raw Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2008 6:45 AM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    You are missing a step. It's not hard drive/application support. It's hard drive/library/application support.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2008 7:17 AM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    Barbara, how nice of you to respond. Still need a little more assistance please.
    Here is want I can find so far with your advice and some guessing:
    Hard Drive - Library - Application Support - Adobe - Adobe Asset Service CS3- Plug-Ins -and then a list that does not include File Format or any Camera Raw.
    {I'm OSX 10.5.5 w/ Elements 6 & just trying to keep everything updated - I get the pop-up to update camera raw? 4.6} Thanks for you time Barbara, I've no idea where else to turn.
    Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2008 8:10 AM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    No. Open a finder window. Click on your hard drive. Open the library folder in the list that appears. Open the Application Support folder. Open the Adobe Folder. Open Plug-ins. Open CS3. Open File Formats. Here is a screenshot:

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1N3xL5HszJUKEQWOiva7d5IkhtfG SE1

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2008 8:27 AM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    WOW, Barbara, what you can do--way Cool!! Ok, I'm almost there. Now I drag the whole "Camera Raw.plugin" into a temp folder on my desk top to be trashed later if all goes well, right? Then I download the Camera Raw 5.2 update onto my desk top and then drag open it and drag That into "File Format", sound right? Again, sorry to be naive - I'm learning :)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2008 9:22 AM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    Just move Camera Raw.plugin out of that folder anywhere that's convenient. Follow the instructions in the Readme file (in the download after you double click the .dmg file to mount it on the desktop) for installing the new one.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2008 9:58 AM   in reply to Roy Shopland
    Ok dokay :) thanks for being there

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)