Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop Elements 7 and Vista 64

Nov 16, 2008 8:08 AM

I've installed PSE 7 on Vista Ultimate 64, and I can't get the Adobe Downloader to launch when I plug in my camera. Is this a limitation of Vista 64, or do I have it configured incorrectly?

Thanks,

Thane

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 16, 2008 1:50 PM   in reply to (Thane_Sherrington)
    With PSE 7, the Adobe Photo Downloader doesnt launch when you plug in a camera or card. Instead, the downloader should appear as one of several options in the standard Windows Autoplay window that pops up.

When you plug in your camera, does the Autoplay window appear? If not, youll have to struggle with Autoplay settings to get it to show up (go to Start > Control Panel > Autoplay).

If the Autoplay window appears but PSE isnt listed as one of the options, then perhaps the downloader isnt in fact compatible with PSE 7. This Adobe tech article implies that it may not be:

]http://www.adobe.com/go/kb402507

]When you connect a camera, memory card, or other media that contains photos (such as a flash memory drive or CD) to a computer running a 64-bit edition of Windows XP or Windows Vista, the Autoplay dialog does not show options to download the photos with Adobe Bridge CS3 or Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 and earlier.

] Bridge and Photoshop Elements are 32-bit applications. When the 64-bit editions of Windows XP and Windows Vista detect that a new device or media has been connected, they do not recognize 32-bit applications as programs that can be used to download or manage the content.

Note the confusing Photoshop Elements 6.0 and earlier, which sort-of implies that maybe the PSE 7 downloader would be compatible with Vista 64. But the article was written 9/24/2007, when PSE 7 didnt exist, and PSE 7 is 32-bit, so this could just be sloppiness by the tech writer.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2008 4:39 PM   in reply to (Thane_Sherrington)
    I just spent two hours with Adobe help trying to resolve this issue. I have 64 bit vista and installed Photoshop Elements 7. The adobe downloader does not show up in the system tray, auto play window or all programs. Adobe had me do the following: (and nothing resolved the issue):

Turned off UAC in control panel
    Uninstall PS Elements 7 from the 64 bit program File
    Reinstall PS Elements 7 into the 32 bit program file
    I was instructed to also do a number of other things, in the end nothing worked!

Hope someone has some other ideas. Adobe told me to contact Microsoft and ask them how you get autoplay to display adobe downloader. Does someone think this might work?

Thanks, Ron

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2008 4:53 PM   in reply to (Thane_Sherrington)
    I guess the support person you talked with didn't bother to read Aobe's own knowledge-base artice:
    ]http://www.adobe.com/go/kb402507

]Bridge and Photoshop Elements are 32-bit applications. When the 64-bit editions of Windows XP and Windows Vista detect that a new device or media has been connected, they do not recognize 32-bit applications as programs that can be used to download or manage the content.

This makes sense to me -- it's a limitation of Windows. As a workaround, you'll have to do File > Get Photos > From Camera or Card Reader whenever you want to use the downloader.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2008 6:40 AM   in reply to (Thane_Sherrington)
    I am having similar problems. I installed PSE 6.0 on new computer running Vista Home Premium (64-bit). When I start the photo downloader it says "loading device list...please wait" and freezes. I have tried deleting the preferences, uninstalling and reinstalling several times and nothing works. I also uninstalled PSE 6, turned off the UAC and installed the trial version of PSE 7. Same problem. Thanks for any guidance.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2008 11:20 AM   in reply to (Thane_Sherrington)
    A couple more generic troubleshooting steps to try:

- Reinstall in simplified mode with all background services, including anti-virus, disabled. (See http://www.adobe.com/go/kb402603.)

- Run PSE as administrator (different than running in an account with administrator privileges or with UAC turned off).

- Try disconnecting all your USB devices except mouse and keyboard, rebooting, and seeing if you still get the problem. If you dont, then reconnect the devices one by one until the problem occurs. That will at least identify the device causing the problem.

Note that Adobe officially doesnt support PSE 6 on Vista 64:

http://www.adobe.com/go/kb403403

I havent seen any mention yet of support for PSE 7 on Vista 64. Their policy is more than a little deceptive, since the marketing literature and system requirements make no mention of excluding Vista 64. The PSE 6 Readme and a tech note refer to PSE 6 on Vista 64 without mentioning lack of support.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2009 12:26 AM   in reply to (Thane_Sherrington)
    I have PSE 6 running in Vista 64 and the only problem that I have encountered is using Render - Lighting Effects - Spotlight. It creates Horizontal Lines across the picture. Have tried everything to correct the problem and nothing works. Adobe does not have solution. Is this a common problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2009 11:31 AM   in reply to (Thane_Sherrington)
    Has anyone tried this? See the bottom part of this link under "comments".
    http://www.vista4beginners.com/AutoPlay

How do you create a new file?

The options I get are to create a new "Key, String Value, Binary Value, DWORD, QWORD, Multi-string value or Expandable String Value".

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2009 2:27 PM   in reply to (Thane_Sherrington)
    According to the Microsoft Windows Vista Compatibility Center, Photshop Elements 7 (or any other version) and not compatible with the 64 bit version of Windows Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/Details.aspx?type=Softw are&p=Adobe%20Photoshop%20Elements&v=Adobe&uid=7&pf=0&pi=1&c=Graphics% 20%26%20Printing&sc=Image%20Editing&os=64-bit

Hopefully Adobe intends to release a 64 bit version of Photoshop Elements.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2009 3:22 PM   in reply to (Thane_Sherrington)
    > According to the Microsoft Windows Vista Compatibility Center, Photshop Elements 7 (or any other version) and not compatible with the 64 bit version of Windows Vista.

All that means is that Adobe has not stated they support PSE on Vista 64. For versions prior to 7, Adobe has explicitly stated they do not support Vista 64, but they dont have a written statement for PSE 7 (though someone reported that customer support told them it wasnt supported).

Many people have reported here and at Elements Village that versions 5.02, 6, and 7 run well on Vista 64.

See this FAQ for more information:

http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshopelements-6-7-faq.htm#_PSE _and_Vista

> Hopefully Adobe intends to release a 64 bit version of Photoshop Elements.

Just to clarify, Adobe doesnt need to release a 64-bit version of PSE to ensure compatibility with Vista 64. Indeed, most programs that are compatible are 32-bit programs. Given the intended market for PSE and the low level of investment Adobe makes in PSE, I think its very unlikely theyll release a 64-bit version anytime soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2009 5:21 PM   in reply to (Thane_Sherrington)
    Now I find out...I just purchased a new pc with 64-bit Vista and PSE 7 loaded! In Organizer I've encountered the following problems in the last few days and I'm still trying to learn the software:
    1 - The folder location display is scrambled for many BUT NOT ALL my photos. (eg photos taken on 2/6/2009 are appearing under Folder Location for 2/9/2009 and 2/13/2009, but they are in the correct folder on the hard drive and the Properties Panel shows the correct folder.)
    2 - The screen shows -45 Not Shown, but I can't fathom what 45 photos that is - I don't have any version sets or hidden photos, besides the fact that I have Show Hidden photos selected.

Is there any value in continuing to report issues? What the heck am I going to find in Premier???

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2009 5:48 PM   in reply to (Thane_Sherrington)
    Mary,

> I just purchased a new pc with 64-bit Vista and PSE 7 loaded

Which brand and model of PC? If the manufacturer is preloading PSE 7 into Vista 64 under a distribution deal with the manufacturer, that would be pretty weak of Adobe not to support it.

>The folder location display is scrambled for many BUT NOT ALL my photos.

Unfortunately, thats a known bug in PSE 6 and 7 that occurs with Vista 32 and XP as well.

> The screen shows -45 Not Shown, but I can't fathom what 45 photos that is

Make sure PSE is showing all your photos:

1. Click Show All in the Find bar (if its visible).

2. Find > Clear Date Range.

3. In View > Media Types, ensure all types are checked.

4. Ensure View > Hidden Files > Show All Files is checked.

After doing these 4 steps, does it sill say 45 Not Shown?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2009 7:27 AM   in reply to (Thane_Sherrington)
    John,

I have a Dell Studio and I agree it should be supported - perhaps with workarounds, or at a minimum someone should inform the buyer that it is unsupported. As it is, Photoshop Elements 7 + Premier Elements 7 are bundled as an option on the machine with no caveats.

I double checked all settings you suggested but am still getting "-45 items not shown". Note that it says "-" 45 items.

Mary Ann

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2009 9:01 AM   in reply to (Thane_Sherrington)
    >I have a Dell Studio and I agree it should be supported - perhaps with workarounds, or at a minimum someone should inform the buyer that it is unsupported. As it is, Photoshop Elements 7 + Premier Elements 7 are bundled as an option on the machine with no caveats.

Agreed. At the moment, Adobe has not said officially in its marketing literature or support site that PSE 7 is unsupported on Vista 64 (whereas it has said that PSE 6 and earlier are). One person has reported that customer support told him it wasn't supported, but PSE customer support is notoriously unreliable.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2009 9:04 AM   in reply to (Thane_Sherrington)
    > Note that it says "-" 45 items.

Sounds like a bug to me (with a negative number of photos not shown).

If its only appearing in Folder Location view, Id write it off as just one more manifestation of that buggy view, and Id recommend avoiding that view anyway because of the other bugs with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2009 9:55 AM   in reply to (Thane_Sherrington)
    Thanks John. Besides keeping my fingers crossed that Adobe "gets with the program", I guess staying away from Folder Location view is my best bet!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2009 5:59 AM   in reply to (Thane_Sherrington)
    I need to move my slide shows from my old computer to my new computer. Does anyone know how to do this.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2009 4:16 PM   in reply to (Thane_Sherrington)
    I downloaded and used ccleaner and now i cannot use the photo downloader to downloade pictures into my organizer. I get and error that says "this file does not have a program associated with it. Create association in the set associations in control panel". I've been in control panel. I don't know which file they are talking about. The psa, pse, ps7db are all associated with elements organizer and the psd, psf, psp are all associated with elements editor.
    Can someone check their settings and let me know if these are correct and if possible, tell me how to fix this. I miss my downloader.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2009 2:51 AM   in reply to John R. Ellis

Hi

I have 64 bit SP1 and have been running Elements 2 (YES 2) for nearly a year with no problems can anyone explain that ??

However I have been thinking of upgrading to version 7, but after reading all of your comments I think I will stick to the horse and cart version.

Just to let you know I have also asked this question of "customer support" and I am still waiting for an answer - it's enough to make you want to rush out and buy Paint Shop and a mac !!

It's been very interesting reading your comments thanks for your help, looks like you have saved me a lot of trouble.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2009 9:01 AM   in reply to 64 bit hater

That's interesting that you have PSE 2 running.   A few others have reported being able to have very old versions of PSE and PSA run on Vista, but many others have reported problems.

If you want to see if PSE 7 works for you, you could always download the free trial and give it a whirl.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2009 2:18 AM   in reply to John R. Ellis

Thanks, I may try that, pity really though that Adobe are behind with this

don't you think ?

Cheers

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2009 1:57 PM   in reply to 64 bit hater

Yeah, I'm looking forward to them catching up.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2009 8:37 AM   in reply to betataujeff

I have just received my "answer" from Adobe and to assist this forum I have copied it in red below.

Photoshop Elements 7 is not certified to run on Windows Vista 64 bit

systems, so we can not guarantee that this will work.

It may be that the applications works without issues, but it may also be

that this will not run correctly.

We can offer support if you encounter issues, but only to the extend

that we know it is the 64 bit system causing the issue.

Have a nice day.

Considering that Adobe makes the best photo software in the world you would think that accommodating 64 bit Vista would not be too much of a problem.

In any case it looks like Adobe have / will totally ignore 64 bit machines at present, which is just not good enough really.

By the way, if Adobe is reading this (I doubt it) have a nice day to you too !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2009 8:37 AM   in reply to betataujeff

I have just received my "answer" from Adobe and to assist this forum I have copied it in red below.

Photoshop Elements 7 is not certified to run on Windows Vista 64 bit

systems, so we can not guarantee that this will work.

It may be that the applications works without issues, but it may also be

that this will not run correctly.

We can offer support if you encounter issues, but only to the extend

that we know it is the 64 bit system causing the issue.

Have a nice day.

Considering that Adobe makes the best photo software in the world you would think that accommodating 64 bit Vista would not be too much of a problem.

In any case it looks like Adobe have / will totally ignore 64 bit machines at present, which is just not good enough really.

By the way, if Adobe is reading this (I doubt it) have a nice day to you too !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2009 9:57 AM   in reply to 64 bit hater

I think Adobe's marketing practices with respect to Vista 64 are deceptive.

They have a distribution agreement with Dell, selling PSE 7 pre-installed on Vista 64 systems, e.g. the XPS 630.  They don't have an asterisk in the Dell shopping cart telling customers that Adobe won't support PSE 7, and a customer would have a quite reasonable expectation that PSE is supported.  I wonder if Dell knows that Adobe isn't supporting the pre-installed PSE?

Nowhere on Adobe's site do they say that PSE 7 is not supported on Vista 64.  The System Requirements page says:

• Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 or 3 or Windows Vista®
  • Certified for 32-bit version of Windows
  •  

Most typical users aren't going to interpret this as meaning that Vista 32 is required to receive support.  They won't have a clue as to what "Certified for 32-bit version of Windows" means.  If Adobe cared about its customers, it would just state plainly and clearly that Vista 32 is required.  For example, Nikon states clearly that the drivers for its popular Coolscan scanners require Vista 32.

This is typical of marketers trying to have it both ways. If the product had a bigger customer base, it would be fodder for slimy class-action lawyers.

We can offer support if you encounter issues, but only to the extend that we know it is the 64 bit system causing the issue.

If this is precisely what they said in your reply, this makes no sense.  I think what the support person meant was that they would provide support only to the extent that they know it is not the 64-bit system causing the issue.

|
Mark as:
    May 19, 2009 2:24 PM   in reply to John R. Ellis

I totally agree with what you say, although being the cynical type I cant

see much changing which is a shame.

I still may take up your suggestion of the free trial to see how it goes.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2009 10:30 AM   in reply to (Thane_Sherrington)

I envy all of you who have been able to get PSE7 installed on your 64 bit Vista system at all... I can't even get that far.

I am able to run the installation, and after going through the process it says the program installed successfully. But many key program files and folders (including the program .exe files themselves) are not there.  The start menu links and other shortcuts that the install spawns are "missing shortcuts" that cannot find the target.

I've tried all the tricks to try to get this to install: installing in both the 64 and 32 bit program folders, installing from the desktop, running the setup as administrator, installing to the drive root, disabling all anti virus and other running programs, etc. with no success.

Adobe support only gives me the same line about how the product is not supported by the 64 bit version (nice to learn that now-- the box said it is Vista compatible and makes no mention of a 64 bit limitation).

Before I return this brand new (three day old) computer to the manufacturer and exchange it for a 32 bit version (and settling for only 3 gigs of ram), anyone have any advice on how you were able to even get Photoshop Elements 7 to install at all?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2009 3:37 PM   in reply to JPx9

On my Dell Vista 64, it just installed straight from the file I downloaded from the Adobe store, which I had placed on the desktop.

Some suggestions:

1. Download the free trial of PSE 7 and see if that installs correctly.  If it does, that at least tells you how to get an installation to work. But you won't be able to enter your serial number into that trial -- it only accepts serial numbers that you purchased through the Buy It button the in the program.  You may be able to persuade Adobe Customer Service to give you a download through the store.

2. Uninstall PSE and then manually remove all traces left behind by the uninstaller:

http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshopelements-6-7-faq.htm#_Rem oving_all_traces

Then reinstall by copying to the desktop and running as administrator.

Adobe support only gives me the same line about how the product is not supported by the 64 bit version (nice to learn that now-- the box said it is Vista compatible and makes no mention of a 64 bit limitation).

That is particularly sleazy marketing on Adobe's part. They even have a distribution agreement with Dell to sell PSE 7 preinstalled on Dell Vista 64 systems (for which there isn't an option to get Vista 32 preinstalled).  If it were a bigger market, there'd surely be a class-action lawsuit.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2009 5:26 PM   in reply to John R. Ellis

Thanks for the input, John.

I just downloaded the Trial version at your suggestion, and it installs flawlessly and runs beautifully on my system. So I know there's no technical or logical reason why my purchased product shouldn't do the same.  As you mentioned, the download version won't accept my box serial number, so this is at best a temporary fix, but a fix nonethless.  (Is Elements 8.0 is coming out anytime soon... and will it have 64bit support?)

johnrellis wrote:

That is particularly sleazy marketing on Adobe's part. They even have a distribution agreement with Dell to sell PSE 7 preinstalled on Dell Vista 64 systems (for which there isn't an option to get Vista 32 preinstalled).  If it were a bigger market, there'd surely be a class-action lawsuit.

Same with HP, which is where I purchased mine. In fact, they give the option to have Elements preinstalled on this very computer I am having this problem with. So I don't buy for one second their statement that Elements is unable to run on 64 bit computers.

I am wondering, then, if my installation woes may not necessarily be a 64 issue, but a licensing issue; since I had previously had this copy of Elements installed and registered on my previous computer (an XP). That computer suffered a horrible death, so I was not able to uninstall or deauthorize Elements or anything like that.  Could that have anything to do with my problem, and if so is there a workaround?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2009 5:58 PM   in reply to JPx9
    Elements 8.0 is coming out anytime soon... and will it have 64bit support?

Previous Windows versions have come out at the very end of September.  Whether Adobe provides support for PSE 8 on Vista 64 and/or Windows 7 64-bit, who knows.   Microsoft is really pushing hard on 64-bit in Windows 7, and all versions (except Home Basic) allow the user to choose between 32- or 64-bit at installation.  I'll bet we'll see a lot more new computers preconfigured with 64-bit Windows 7.  So if Adobe were still investing in PSE development, you'd expect that they would of course support PSE 8 on Windows 7 64-bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2009 6:03 PM   in reply to JPx9
    I am wondering, then, if my installation woes may not necessarily be a 64 issue, but a licensing issue; since I had previously had this copy of Elements installed and registered on my previous computer (an XP). That computer suffered a horrible death, so I was not able to uninstall or deauthorize Elements or anything like that.  Could that have anything to do with my problem, and if so is there a workaround?

Unlike full Photoshop, PSE doesn't require "activation" of a serial number -- it doesn't phone home to the mothership for permission.  So there's no need for deauthorization either.

Now that you successfully installed the trial, you might try uninstalling and installing the CD version (from the desktop).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2009 7:02 PM   in reply to John R. Ellis

johnrellis wrote:

Now that you successfully installed the trial, you might try uninstalling and installing the CD version (from the desktop).

BINGO. That did it.

After installing and running the Trial download, I decided to try to install my purchased product to see what happens.  It prompted me that I must first uninstall my previous installation (the trial), which I did.  I then ran the setup straight off the disc, it installed, all the necessary files are in place, and the full program launches and runs without a hitch!

Guess I just needed the direct-install from the download version to "prime the system" before it allowed me to successfully use the CD version.  Weird.

Thanks again for all your help.  My headache from the past couple days is finally gone, and I am very happy with my new computer now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2010 8:00 AM   in reply to John R. Ellis

I have been using PSE for years. Running vista Home Premium 64 bit. Started having trouble with ver 6 , bought ver 7 and have a trial of ver 8. I uninstalled ver 6, but having alot of problems with ver 7. It takes forever to perform an editing function. No problems with the trial version of ver 8 however. Is version 8 compatible with windows 64 bit ? Is therre soomething I can do to make ver 7 work properly ?

thanks !

|
    Mark as:
  • More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)