Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can you use CMYK in Elements 4.0?

Aug 4, 2006 3:59 PM

I have artwork in Illustrator created in CMYK, that I need to manipulate in Photoshop Elements.

In Elements, under "mode" you only have an RGB option. Does anyone know if you CAN work in Elements in CMYK? Or do I have to buy CS?

Alison
Lodi, CA

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 4, 2006 5:38 PM   in reply to (Alison_Wong)
    Alison,

The implication of using the CMYK color space is that you will getting it printed professionally by four-color process at some point. PSE is designed for home use. You can do some things with RGB images and then convert to CMYK using Richard Lynch's tools, but you won't be able to work natively in PSE in the CMYK color space.

You need PS CS2 and your editing abilities will be limited there. Unless you have Illustrator or another vector-based editor that will open Illustrator files. Out of curiosity, what are you trying to do to the file?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2006 3:42 AM   in reply to (Alison_Wong)
    > Looks like I'll have to buy CS2 now, bummer..... pricey.

Alison,
    At least it is "on Sale". Look at this thread in the Elementsuserforum,
    especially post #24:
    http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12149&high light=photoshop+upgrade

Juergen

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2006 5:00 AM   in reply to (Alison_Wong)
    .. or if you are a student try the ' Academic Superstore ' for better prices.

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/quick_search.html?qks=1&qks=1&qk_src h=Photoshop+CS2&x=13&y=0

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2006 9:41 PM   in reply to (Alison_Wong)
    "you won't be able to work natively in PSE in the CMYK color space."

James, thanks for the mention. What you say is true, but also as a professional I really almost never work in CMYK. I work in RGB and then convert, which is the same way you would work toward CMYK in Elements. Elements CAN create CMYK files with the right methodology, and that may be all that is required here.

Alison, what are you trying to accomplish exactly? is there a reason you don't want to work in Illustrator to edit the file?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2006 6:25 PM   in reply to (Alison_Wong)
    Richard,

When you convert to CMYK, how do you correct for any color shift in PSE? We usually advise customers that work in PS to convert and then adjust for any color shift that occurs post-conversion...

Jay B.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)