Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Feather an Elipse with a Transparent Background

Mar 18, 2007 12:38 PM

I'm still new at this, need a bit of help. I'm using Photoshop Elements 5, (and Windows Vista OS). I'm want to take a photo, put an ellipse around it, loose the remaining background (to transparent I think) and fade (or feather) the edges of the ellipse. I want to put this photo on top of another one, so that their both visible, and kinda "blend" together. To be more specific, the "background" is a full picture of my car, and the photo "on top" will be a blended in ellipse of the engine. Thanks for your help!!! Neil

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 18, 2007 3:27 PM   in reply to (Neil_Pine)
    Neil,
    Is this the effect you are trying to achieve?

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1exE1wxsEZn5nFzNHXSlJZs0L5lQ Q0

1. Open the engine picture and rename the Background layer to anything else. This is necessary for step 4.
    2. Draw an ellipse around the engine using the Elliptical Marquee tool.
    3. Invert the selection, and feather it. In my example I feathered 50 px.
    4. Delete the selection, so that the ellipse is left on transparent background.
    5. Copy this to the car picture, creating a new layer. Use the Move tool to reposition and resize the engine. You might want to lower the opacity of the engine layer so that the car shows through.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2007 5:49 PM   in reply to (Neil_Pine)
    Neil,
    I can't explain the "rectangle". Does it show when you do steps 1-4 or does it show only after the engine layer is placed in the car picture, or both? It would help if you can save your result as a jpg and upload it to pixentral for us to see (include its url in your message).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2007 4:42 AM   in reply to Mark Sand
    Neil,
    The feathering may be too strong and / or the ellipse is too close to the
    edge of the original photo of the engine. In that case the feathering never
    quite reaches full transparency. Try to draw the ellipse further in or
    reduce the feathering or both. If you still have remnants of the rectangle
    showing once the engine is its own layer on top of the car image, use the
    Eraser tool with a soft brush and erase it.

Juergen

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2007 5:48 AM   in reply to (Neil_Pine)
    Juergen,
    Good analysis!

Which suggests another way..
    Take the original engine picture, rename the Background layer, and use the Eraser tool with a large size to paint away the background. Same result.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2007 2:50 PM   in reply to (Neil_Pine)
    Neil,
    Your double-inverse method has the same affect as renaming the Background. Clever!
    Both result in the ellipse on transparent background.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2007 6:12 PM   in reply to (Neil_Pine)
    Neil,
    Looking at it again, I think both our methods were more involved than need be. After you draw the ellipse and feather it, you can simply Edit>Copy and Edit>Paste to the destination photo. No need for a renaming Background or inverting selections. The copy-paste will automatically create the ellipse with the transparent background.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)