Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Moving multiple slides in slideshow editor

Dec 5, 2007 9:55 AM

I am creating a slideshow with Photoshop Elements and I have hundreds of slides imported into the slideshow.

My question is how can I move more than one slide at a time. I have tried Ctrl, cut, paste and it will only move one slide at a time. I have whole groups of pictures that I need to reorder. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2007 11:39 AM   in reply to (Isidore_Gould)
    Hmm, Shift and Ctrl works for me with PSE 6 on Windows XP. Which version
    and platform are you on? To make sure we're talking about the same thing,
    here's what I did:

- Selected 500 photos in the Organizer Thumbnail View.
    - On the Task Pane, selected Create and then Slide show...
    - Accepted the default preferences for slide shows.
    - In the Slide Show Editor, in the storyboard of thumbnails along the
    bottom, I can select multiple photos by clicking on the first one and then
    Shift-click on the second one to select all the photos in between.
    Similarly, Ctrl-click adds individual photos to the selection. Then I can
    click and drag the photos to another position on the storyboard.

The Quick Reorder button on the lower left of the Slide Show Editor allows
    you to more easily reorder a larger number of thumbnails.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2007 11:49 AM   in reply to (Isidore_Gould)
    You did not say which version of Photoshop Elements you are running.

What I have done in PSE 5 is to make a Photoshop Elements
    b Collection
    of photo files inorder to establish the basic sequence
    b before
    I start the slide show Creation process.

When displaying the Collection, I am able to use Ctrl to select multiple not contiguous photo files (or shift to select multiple contiguous photos files) and move them to a new place in the sequence of the Collection.

The sequence of the Collection then becomes the starting point for my sequence in the Slide show.

Note: Sometimes people have already established the sequence they want in a single Windows Folder. If that is the case, the process is somewhat different so if that is your objective, please tell us.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2007 12:38 PM   in reply to (Isidore_Gould)
    First, I am curious

- what is the total number of slides in this slide show?
    - what is the megapixel resolution (not the file size) of these photo file?

Second,
    In PSE 5 on XP Home SP2, I just did a Quick Reorder first using the Shift for contiguous multiple and then using the Ctrl for 2 not continguous. Both times it moved the multiple slides that were selected.

Now I did need to make that Selection within the Quick Reorder window itself: if I made the selection using the thumbnails along the bottom or the Slide Show Editor screen, it did not work.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2007 12:54 PM   in reply to (Isidore_Gould)
    Great that you figured it out. PSE 6 follows the Windows convention more
    closely and allows you to release Shift.

I don't have much experience delivering slide shows, so perhaps others can
    weigh in with advice on timing.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2007 2:29 PM   in reply to (Isidore_Gould)
    My concern is whether your PC will have the capacity be able to process this slide show of 400-500 slides.

Do you intend to play your slide show on a PC or on a TV?

Timing is such a subjective question, I hesitate to answer. The slide shows I have done have been much shorter in total duration: but they were often only covering one event so they are really not comparable.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2007 4:18 PM   in reply to (Isidore_Gould)
    > It seems to play ok when I do a test run .... although I have not let it go all the way thru yet

- By a test run, do you mean using the Preview area of the slide show editor or do you mean using the Output command to write a wmv file?

- I do suggest that you let it run and see if your images are ok all the way to the end, even if you are not finished tweaking all of the photos, transitions and text. If there will be a problem it does not always show nearer the beginning of the slide show. It runs ok for awhile and then all that is seen is a black screen.

>Any suggestions for a back up plan

Suggestions to try to avoid the problem are usually to run the Windows Disk Cleanup function to delete unnecessary files and specifically to clean out Temporary Files that are no longer needed. A Defrag of the hard drive after the Cleanup can also help performance

The most usual action after the problem happens is to go back and decrease the resolution of the photo files - not fun. That is why I asked now instead of waiting to see if you have a problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2007 10:36 AM   in reply to (Isidore_Gould)
    My first conclusion is that making a WMV file is better choice now because you seem to be short on time and short on hard drive space. In the Output command parameters to save as a WMV file, I would choose the largest dimension choice (on your system it may be 800x600).

However be aware that making a WMV file will still take a long time for that many slides from high resolution photos. And we will not know if you have sufficient disk space until you try.

--What is the total size of this hard drive that has only 11% free?
    Yes, do work on freeing up more space.

Making a video DVD would take more time, additional software and probably more disk space during the process of making the DVD. That is why I do not recommend it for you now. It could be done later when you are under less time pressure.

PDF slide shows have the following limitations
    -- can not use pan and zoom on the slides
    -- can not effectively time the music or other audio to specific slides
    -- not all transitions are available
    So unless you can not successfully make a WMV file, I doubt that a PDF file is your best choice.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)