• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

not supported on this architecture error

Contributor ,
Mar 30, 2009 Mar 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed PS CS4. It runs fine and I have run the updater. Problem is Bridge. I get an error "You can't open the application "Adobe Bridge CS4" because it is not supported on this architecture. Apps are installed on an 8 core Mac Pro OS x 10.5.6. Any tips for this problem?

PS CS3, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Pro, and Lightroom 2 are also installed on this Mac.

Thanks,

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Can you look at the Bridge CS4 application in Finder and tell me what version is showing up when you Get Info (CMD + I) on it. You shouldn't be seeing that message with the shipping CS4 version.

thx,
steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Steve,

3.0.0.464 (144651)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Steve,

Is this the version you expect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Sorry. That version is the shipping version. I'm not sure why you are getting the error.

Have you tried resetting your prefs. on launch? (Option double click the app)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny thing is the icon for the Bridge is "broken" too. It has a line thought it and is kind of grayed out. I tried running the installer again "re-install" but the results are the same. Do I have to delete Bridge CS3? or should they be OK together?

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you have some disk corruption, or a problem with some anti-virus utility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

No antivirus and I just installed on my laptop and have the same problem. Does it matter that PS CS3 and Bridge CS3 were installed as part of Web Suite? I uninstalled PS CS4 from my laptop and notice that the uninstaller left Bridge CS4 behind.

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS3 and CS4 have nothing to do with each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

OK, you are getting OS level errors not Bridge errors.

Bridge CS3 and CS4 can reside on the same machine without problem, assuming nothing gets whacked by the installers. I don't have enough experience with the installers to offer any sound advice.

So you have Web Premium CS3 and Photoshop CS4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Web Suite Premium CS3, InDesign CS3, and Photoshop Extended CS4.

Same error on two different Macs?

Isn't the "not supported on this architecture" error an Adobe error?

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, that error is from the OS.

I'll forward this thread on to someone that should be able to help troubleshoot this.

Neil and Ramon might have some sage advice as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. I've been looking into it a bit. I can't find anything related to this specific problem everything is related to trying to run a PPC app on an intel mac or vice versa. If it just happened on one mac I could see it being a corrupt file but on two?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you Repair Permissions before and after the installation? See my reply to your duplicate post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,
The error is due to the Mactel OS.
You could repair the Volume in which you are booted. Thereafter you can try reinstalling Photoshop CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 31, 2009 Mar 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramon,

Yes. I repaired before and after. Even repaired after running the updater.

Blue,

Disk utility says the disk is fine. Can you elaborate? Note I'm getting the same problem on two different Macs.

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Can you elaborate?

No. Sorry, when it comes to Leopard, I have no other thoughts.

Repairing Disk and Repairing Permissions are two different things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did both. I'll try again later today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the fact seldom helps, David.

Here's some boilerplate text I use (and which drives some up the wall. :D)

I still advocate Repairing Permissions (with Apple's Disk Utility) before AND after any system update or upgrade, as well as before AND after installing any software that requires an installer that asks for your password.

I have seen software installations go sour because the installer did not find everything as and where it should be.

I have also seen software installations go bad because the installer did not clean up after itself properly and did not leave everything as and where it should be.

This is just my own personal opinion and practice based on my own observations. Others may disagree and that's OK. I can only base my routines and my advice to others on my own experience and conclusion. I don't pretend to know why others believe otherwise. Note that this suggestion begins with " I still advocate", not "Apple recommends" .

Repairing Permissions after the fact (i. e. not immediately before and after an install) may NOT help. Try it anyway, though.

====

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended by Apple, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

Cron Scripts are maintenance routines designed by Apple to run on a daily, weekly and monthly basis in the middle of the night.

If you don't run them, you WILL run into trouble, sooner rather than later.

Here's an excerpt from the Apple tech doc http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388

Mac OS X performs background maintenance tasks at certain times if the computer is not in sleep mode. If your computer is shut down or in sleep at the designated times, the maintenance does not occur. In that case, you may want or need to run these manually.
Mac OS X periodically runs background tasks that, in part, remove system files that are no longer needed. This includes purging older information from log files or deleting certain temporary items. These tasks do not run if the computer is shut down or in sleep mode. If the tasks do not run, it is possible that certain log files (such as system.log) may become very large.
Also, from: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106978

The disk activity generated by find is a normal part of file system maintenance, used for tasks such as removing invisible temporary files that are used by the system. It is scheduled to occur early in the morning at 03:15 everyday, 04:30 on Saturdays, and 05:30 on the first day of each month.

NOTE: There have been comments to the effect that Apple "fixed" this in 10.4.2 and later versions of the OS, but I have not been able to verify this to my satisfaction. The reference in the 10.4.2 release notes are far from explicit on this subject.

Other, more reliable reports indicate that this seems to have been fixed in the current version of Leopard

In any event, Repairing Permissions and/or running the Cron Scripts cannot hurt.

If you have DiskWarrior, run it regularly too. It can't hurt either, and it often improves stability and performance. :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this same issue (which has absolutely nothing to do with permissions), is happening on two machines, I'd suspect faulty install discs or a corrupt downloaded install file.

-phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>...Ramon might have some sage advice as well.

LOL @ Steve.

>After the fact seldom helps, David.

If Ramon had the slightest understanding of what repairing permissions does, he would not be pasting the same silliness in so many threads. How do you repair something if it is not after the fact?

Waste time if it suits you but no intelligent source has ever advised repairing permissions prior to an administrative action like an installation. Permission repair is optionally done after an installation.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1452

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramon, I did repair before and after the install. On both Macs.

Bad disk sounds plausible. Same problem on two macs seems unlikely.

Thanks for the advice.

--David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like the disk is bad.
I went into the payloads/AdobeBridge3All folder and tried to mount AdobeBridge3All.dmg. The disk image cannot be mounted. Error is "Unable to attach "AdobeBridge3All.dmg". (codec overrun)"

I'll look into getting a new disk.

--David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about your HD or a saved Disk Image: "AdobeBridge3All.dmg."

One last-ditch idea:

See if DiskWarrior can mount the Disk and then Repair and replace the Directory.

Another FINAL final last-ditch (if you have valuable non-backed-up data on that Disk is to try "Data Rescue II".

http://www.prosofteng.com/

[ "Jim Jordan's remarks are (as always) unhelpful, discourteous and unnecessary.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann,

I mean on the installer DVD. The AdobeBridge3All.dmg in the payloads folder cannot be opened.

I tried copying the disk image to my local drive and get the same error. Maybe I can repair it and make a new disk?

At least Photoshop itself works fine so I am getting a chance to check it out.

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines