Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

'Unsupported color space' nonsense

Feb 15, 2008 1:33 PM

Hi all,

I have Photoshop CS2, 9.0.2 and I'm still getting 'can't open file because it uses an unsupported color space' error when I try to edit a graphic object from Acrobat. Is there any way around this problem?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 15, 2008 2:41 PM   in reply to (Sarah_Bartholomew)
    What problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2008 12:22 PM   in reply to (Sarah_Bartholomew)
    As far as I know, you cannot update a Linked image directly from Photoshop back into Acrobat you should be using InDesign for this sort of thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2008 12:45 PM   in reply to (Sarah_Bartholomew)
    I wonder if whoever made the PDF used their monitor profile as their working space?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2008 1:43 PM   in reply to (Sarah_Bartholomew)
    Ann, if You open a pixel-image in a pdf by alt-doubleclicking it with the Object Touch Up-Tool, then change and save it in Photoshop the image will get updated in the pdf.

But if the image is in an unsupported colorspace that wont work ... its an old problem and I dont know a good solution for it.
    One could convert the image in Acrobat into another colorspace (Advanced  Print Production  Convert Colors) I guess.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2008 2:11 PM   in reply to (Sarah_Bartholomew)
    I saw this with an unusual grey colourspace, cant remember exactly, something like device-grey.... Converting colours to common grey space in Acrobat 'fixed' it as Christoph suggests.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2008 2:36 PM   in reply to (Sarah_Bartholomew)
    > if You open a pixel-image in a pdf by alt-doubleclicking it with the Object Touch Up-Tool, then change and save it in Photoshop the image will get updated in the pdf. >

Thank you Christoph for that info. which could be most useful and which I didn't know.

However, I normally just go back to my InD file; make changes there; and re-create the PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2008 2:41 PM   in reply to (Sarah_Bartholomew)
    This is a way to fix something in an image when you don't have the the original ID file.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2008 11:06 PM   in reply to (Sarah_Bartholomew)
    On second thought it might be better not to convert all the images but only the affected ones by selecting Properties in the PopUp-menu that appears on ctrl-clicking the image with the Object Touch Up-Tool, and converting individually under the Color-rider.
    Edit: Though now that Im trying that myself it seems the Rendering Intents arent honored ... maybe Im doing something wrong there.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2008 3:00 PM   in reply to (Sarah_Bartholomew)
    Any image that contains and unexpected channel name is flagged as an unsupported color space = hence the dialog.

Photoshop is expecting to see for example CMYK, RGB, LAB, Index and Bitmap. If the person who created the PDF placed a Greyscale file or Spot color image, the dialog will come up. Duotones are also affected except Quadtones that have the supported naming convention of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black. Also, CMYK with SPOTS and DCS 2 files are affected with additional channels as well as channels of expected CMYK are missing.

If I had Photoshops source code to change the naming of channels to allow a user to input names with no color values in Quadtones, I could confirm this naming issue on the Photoshop end.

So in conclusion it's most probably a filter problem in Acrobat that is making Photoshop barf.

PS-CS-3 extended and Acrobat 8

...and it gets really fun when a client converts the images upon PDF export and they have placed all kinds of flavors in the doument. yea right.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2008 3:20 PM   in reply to (Sarah_Bartholomew)
    Yes - It's the PDF file format filter = broken. I just confirmed it.

But what the hell do I know. I work in prepress.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2008 3:34 PM   in reply to (Sarah_Bartholomew)
    When I try to edit an object or image in a pdf file I get the "unsupported color space" error using Photoshop Elements 6. If I use Elements 2, I do not get the error. I can open the same pdf file in Elements 6 with no problem. I am using Acrobat 7.0.9. I have tried converting to every possible format to no avail. Anyone here have an idea what is wrong?

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 14, 2008 4:32 PM   in reply to (Sarah_Bartholomew)
    >Anyone here have an idea what is wrong?

The folks at the Photoshop Elements forum might know how to solve that in Elements.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2008 9:05 AM   in reply to (Sarah_Bartholomew)
    Thanks Christof! The "Convert Colors" trick worked for me. :)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)