Skip navigation

Please help me buy a printer and a scanner.

Apr 18, 2008 8:57 AM

Latest reply: Tai Lao, Dec 21, 2011 9:46 PM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2008 9:08 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    James,

You did the right thing by waiting to set up equipment. Do it when you are not tired and have time to concentrate on it without distractions or having to worry about the time. Set up should not be difficult (it's largely plug 'n' play), and there's generally a "quick start" sheet which should get you started.
    >possible black and white HP LaserJet for $100 (also available on the HP site). But, I think that there is a problem with drivers.

Be careful here. Although HP has a bunch of similar looking small laser printers, some of them do not come with drivers for Mac. Make sure that Macintosh and your OS are listed on the box in the specs. And remember that some of the sales clerks in the mass market electronics stores don't know squat about what they're trying to sell you -- they just want the commission checks to keep coming (as far as I'm concerned, "sales associate" and other fluff job titles don't make these guys more knowledgeable). Apologies to the few who really know their stuff.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2008 9:47 AM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    > As far as avoiding non-Epson papers goes, is that strictly in regards to producing the best print quality? Im asking because I have a bunch of old paper around (there are some Epson Photo Quality Glossy paper) that I would like to use up. This includes some HP 26 lbs. Premium Inkjet Paper and lots of Great White 24 lbs. inkjet stuff.

Basic non-gloss off-brand paper will usually work fine for low quality jobs like correspondence. If print on a plain paper looks bad, simply do not use that paper any more. However for anything high quality or anything gloss do not put any non-Epson paper in the printer unless the specific paper has been recommended here. You can (I have) had ink fail to stick and gunk up the printer using Kodak glossy photo paper for instance.

Epson tech support has always been worse than useless, and the Epson person directing you to zip-lock bags is typical useless Epson tech nonsense. Epson inks already come in heavy sealed plastic, so additional benefit of a ziplock is nil. FWIW I live in a tough environment for inkjets and due to long ordering lead times and sporadic high volume rush print jobs, keep enough spare cartridges that some have gone years before use; no problems.

I used to print my own cards. Unless you need to vary cards weekly it is by far best to let a print shop print your biz cards. By the time you get done doing it less well yourself it ends up costing too much DIY.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2008 10:20 AM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    I think Ann mentioned once that Vistaprint is available in the US. They are perfectly adequate for all but the most exotic business cards.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2008 3:32 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    James,

Unless you just need a handful for a meeting, just let a quick-print shop run out your business card files. And you can run standard 3.5"x2" cards 12-up (3x4) on 8.5"x11" sheets. And you can get a good, safe rotary paper trimmer at office supply stores -- always a good idea to keep a moderate size one around.

HP makes marketing decisions on which printers they want to write Mac drivers for. As for HP LaserJet models that should run on the Mac (double-check first to make sure that they're available for your OS), look at:
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/product/product_detail/CB411A%2523ABA ?jumpid=se_r1002_fp_usen_hho (P1006 $99 after instant rebate)
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/18972-18972-3328059-1463 8-3328066-3435674.html (P1005)
    And there are others as well.

Try some of the online "usual suspects" for purchase: amazon.com, buy.com newegg.com, zones.com, macmall.com -- even HP directly -- and I'm sure some of the other folks here can make recommendations, as well. They might be cheaper and even offer free ground shipping and (at least for the time being), no local sales tax.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2008 4:35 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    James - If you want to show off your graphics / photo ability on your cards take a look at the Avery 8386 (double-sided, full bleed matte postcards) and avery 8373 (glossy full bleed cards), and Avery 8865 (two sided matte cards). There are others depending on your needs. You can knock out 100's of postcards or business cards in very little time.

Why do this? While a printer is less expensive this gives you more quality control especially when you are using your cards as a sales and marketing tool. The printing looks great in the R1800.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2008 4:37 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    James,

Sorry about the setbacks. At least HP is being forthright about this, and you can either look into other brands (I have no particular recommendations -- maybe someone else does) or wait.
    >Has anyone every heard of this?

Never. Not that it can't happen. But the exposure is with a fluorescent tube which should never get that hot. If the electronics are getting that hot -- don't use the scanner. It could be more than just hazardous to your photos.
    >I think it was 100 lbs. or maybe 110 lbs. They would use a color laser printer.

100# text or 100# cover? There's a big difference in thickness. Normally, 80# cover or (if coated cover) 12pt is fine for business cards.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2008 7:17 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    James,
    >I always thought that the weight of paper meant the thickness;

No, it means the physical weight, as in a ream of 20x26 sheets (cover) or 25x38 sheets (text); similar for grams per square meter. There are additional weight standards as well for business papers, tag stock, etc.

Paper is also identified in caliper (thickness), when defined in points, such as 10 pt stock, often associated with cast coated sheets and card stock.

For more information, pick up a copy of International Paper's "Pocket Pal". See: http://www.internationalpaper.com/Paper/Paper%20Products/Pocket%20Pal %20Home.html

BTW, EVERY designer who does design for print should understand paper and should have a copy of this invaluable resource. EVERY such designer needs to know that there is a wealth of papers beyond "80# coated" or "24# bond" stock and understand what they can do. Paper mills also provide free swatchbooks of their different lines, printing demonstrators and much more.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2008 7:27 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    James,
    >I wonder if using a higher resolution somehow makes the machine hotterit does not make any sense to me. I was at 600 and the machine can go significantly higher than that.

No reason for the scanner to get more than comfortably warm in use, regardless of resolution or number of scans.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2008 2:40 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    James,

You're welcome. Please let us know how the replacement scanner is after you set it up.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2008 9:51 AM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    James,
    >I did get conflicting opinions from Epson support, one saying that overheating can happen

Nonsense. Not in a properly working scanner. Warm to the touch is normal. Overheating (and risking original art or film) is not.

Check out G Ballard's Website for more info color management.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2008 3:37 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    >the Epson guy suggested putting the ink tanks in zip lock bags if the tanks have already been opened and I am not going to be printing for a while...

James-

IMO advice from Epson is a waste of air. Half the time they make no sense, so we do not know when, if ever, they are actually giving good advice. I certainly would never remove an inkjet cartridge to try to make it last longer by storing in a ziplock bag. IMO better would be to simply print a full-color print every week or so.

I am not an Epson phone dweeb, but I have personally printed many thousands of photo-quality prints on Epson 12xx (good prints but clogged a lot), SP2200 (excellent, very few clogs) and SP3800 (excellent, very few clogs) photo quality inkjet printers. High altitude, super-dry environment.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2008 4:54 AM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    >IMO better would be to simply print a full-color print every week or so.

I agree -- this is probably the least expensive way to maintain the inks. Cleaning the heads uses a lot more than one print's worth.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2008 3:57 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    Please read g ballard thoroughly, you do not have a clue about what you are doing.
    You don't know whether you scanned properly, printed properly, used Photoshop properly, or what the preview (which preview?) showed you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2008 5:37 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    James,
    >It may be hard to believe, but I have never calibrated my displaynever felt a need to.

And it's Step Number One to successful color calibration.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2008 9:26 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    James,

You're just burying your head in the sand if you work with an unprofled monitor.

Calibrate and profile your monitor regularly and often, at least once a month.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2008 6:37 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    Lexmark X2550 is the better one, it has 600x12 Pixel Per Inch which is very good, 36bit depth which is how detailed the image will be the higher bits the more detailed it will be, the other is 1200x2400 Dots Per Inch which is also very good, but 16bit depth so i would go for the lexmark one.

Good day
    [commercial link deleted]

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2008 7:09 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    Ciana.

You cannot post your commercial/advertising links in these forums. They will be deleted.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2008 12:42 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    Do not buy Lexmark anything. Quote from a Staples employee.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2008 12:43 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    Thanks James. I have the exact same questions and am trying to find the right printer to buy. Now, thanks to you, I am getting the Epson R1900...
    do you like it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2008 2:28 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    i cant seem to get adobe to recognize my scan snap s510 scanner.
    can anyone help?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2008 7:27 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    taylormarie,
    >cant seem to get adobe to recognize my scan snap s510 scanner.

First, welcome to these Forums! I hope you'll become a regular. Now, to get the most mileage out of these Forums, please understand that "Adobe" is a software development company; not a product. And Adobe makes literally thousands of products for several platforms. So you're going to have to be specific. We have no idea from your post which software product, version, operating system, hardware and peripheral models, etc., etc., making it impossible to reply with any accuracy.

To get started, please go to: "How To Get Help Quickly" digest the information there, and then post back here in detail.

Also know that if you use a lowercase "i" as the first word in your post, the "i" gets dropped and the rest of your post appears in harder-to-read italics. Please use initial caps.

Thanks.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2008 8:49 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    Neil - you are the nicest guy in the 49 states - sorry Buko

pbc

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2008 2:21 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    Paul,<br />>Neil - you are the nicest guy in the 49 states<br /><br />Which State did I miss?  <g><br /><br />Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2008 2:22 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    James,

Thanks for posting back.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 6, 2008 4:33 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    >Which State did I miss? <g> <br /> <br /> I was wondering about that.  Maybe Paul was not counting the state where he lives.  :D

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2008 5:33 PM   in reply to (James_NYC)
    Confusion?

pbc

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2011 7:25 AM   in reply to (James_NYC)

Hi James,

You can try to buy HP LaserJet-1020, it's very good and cheaper printer. I use it last 1 years. In that time i refill my printer cartridge 4 times and 1 time i change cartridge to refurbished cartridge. All cartridge refill kits and other printer supplies i bought from http://inksalenow.com/hewlett-packard-printer-cartridge.html

All refill kits comes fith 2 full refills and detailed manual, it's help you refill your printer cartridge without any problem. This online store give you exclusive coupon and offer free shipping.

Joan

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2011 9:46 PM   in reply to joan_fox

joan_fox wrote:

Hi James,

You can try to buy …

Joan,

The post to which you replied this morning is from April of 2008.  I sincerely hope James_NYC has bought his scanner and printer by now, three and a half years later. 

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了     

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)