Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do you unlink contents of dup Smart Object layer from it's Orig Layer?

May 23, 2008 12:03 PM

Say you are in camera RAW and you open the image as a Smart Object.
THen duplicate that SO layer.
I want to edit the RAW settings on the duplicate SmartObject layer to be different than the original SO layer.
The problem is that when i do that, BOTH layers are updated with the most recent adjustment in RAW.

I want only one to change and the original to stay the same.

How do you unlink them so they act independent of one another when you edit the contents of the smart Object.

Thanks in advance.

-josh

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2008 12:05 PM   in reply to (josh_withers)
    Duplicate the file? Rasterize the layer?

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2008 2:04 PM   in reply to (josh_withers)
    If an SO is duplicated by dragging it in the layers palette to the new layer icon, or by command-j, the duplicate will be linked to the original: edits in one will appear in the other.

If the SO is duplicated by choosing New Smart Oject via Copy in the context menu (control-click on the SO in the layers palette), the new SO is independent of original: edits in one will not be replicated in the other.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2008 2:14 AM   in reply to (josh_withers)
    Yes, theres two cpmpletely different ways to duplicate Smart Objects. Command J or duplicate layer method which merely creates INSTANCES of the same Smart Object. This has a whole variety of different uses, and means that any edits to the smart object will reflect in all its instances.

To duplicate the CONTENTS of the object, there is only one way to do it and Doug has told you how.

Would be nice if command OPTION J did this as an alternative. And that there was some visual distinction in the layers panel between duplicated objects, objects with linked instances, and seperate objects.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)