Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cintiq 21UX Lines are not smooth in Photoshop CS

Dec 12, 2007 4:07 PM

Just got my new Cintiq 21ux this week....love it but when using Photoshop CS the lines are not smooth even when I use a ruler etc....have used a tablet for years so it's not practise but the software or something ???.....I do have smooth enabled in the Brush Dialog box so that's not the problem. When I sketch in Alias Sketchbook Pro and Corel Painter IX the lines are perfect and smooth.......Anybody have a similar problem and a solution.....any help would be appreciated...
Cheers Mike

PS
I have already turned off double-click distance and have the latest Wacom Cintiq driver version 6.05 installed
My operating system is Windows XP service pack 2

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 12, 2007 4:36 PM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    I've had a Cintiq for almost a year now and haven't experienced that, ever. The Wacom software doesn't dictate that sort of non anti-alias stuff. Are you sure you don't have a pencil (which gives stepped/hard edges) selected instead of a brush.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2007 9:49 PM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    Does your computer meet the minimum requirements for the Cintiq? I'm not up on PC's (I'm strictly Apple) but there seems to be something amiss in the puzzle.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Dec 13, 2007 12:44 AM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    What are your brush preferences settings? spacing? Shape dynamics settings? Scattering? etc?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2007 1:49 AM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    When you draw a line with a ruler you get a wobbly line. What happens when you draw a second line over it, without having moved the ruler?

Does it trace the same wobbles as before? then it's probably an out of tolerance problem.

When the wobbles are different, I think there is some electromagnetic interference. Can you move it farther from the monitor?

Rob

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Dec 14, 2007 12:55 AM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    Does it happen even if you draw slowly?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2007 1:10 PM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    Creative,

Did you read my post #5?

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2007 2:39 PM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    rob, nobody reads post #5!!! :)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2007 3:10 PM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    >rob, nobody reads post #5!!!

Next time I'll write post # 12. That'll serve 'em right!

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2007 3:10 PM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    This is it!

Post # 12!!!

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2007 1:55 AM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    I also just got a Cintiq a few days ago and have noticed some issues in Photoshop regarding line quality...

Creativeboy have you noticed that if you flip the pen around to the eraser tip that the photoshop quality improves, I've got improved lines when erasing, but as soon as I flip it back over to the other side the poor line quality continues. This leads me to believe there is some kind of issue with the photoshop brushes maybe.. not sure, never had a brush issue before lol

Oh, only difference is I'm on a mac ;)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2007 10:21 AM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    Hey Mike... Yeah I never had a problem with my Intuos either, this is getting a little frustrating now lol.

I've got Painter and the line quality is great in it, Sketchbook currently doesn't work too well on Intel macs, otherwise I'd have it too.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2007 10:48 AM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    Hey CreativeBoy...

I'd definitely file an official bug report with Adobe about this, with a link provided to the DeviantArt page. That composite clearly shows there's a difference in stroke behavior. As long as you're sure you've eliminated stroke attributes as a cause, this is something that really should be fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2007 12:55 PM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    there's something to his suggestion to trying another computer. also maybe a different version of photoshop if you have access to one.

have you played with all the settings in the brushes?

tried to reset the photoshop preferences (sorry, i've been kinda half following, not sure if you mentioned this already.)

dave

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2007 2:09 PM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    I've tried it on three different macs, one G5, two Mac Pro's (a quad and 8-core). As well as CS2 and CS3 varying between the three different macs, throughout all of them, the poor line quality has stayed the same.

I spent a good hour fiddling with brush settings changing everything I could think of to correct the issue, but so far, nothing.

Mike,

Looks like wacom wasn't much help... even more frustrating. I totally hear you about using photoshop the majority of the time. It's all I use essentially. Granted the application wasn't technically designed with tablets in mind compared to Sketchbook or Painter, but I still don't see why we can't come up with a solution either through Wacom or Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2007 2:14 PM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    is ANYONE working correctly with this tablet and photoshop?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2007 2:43 PM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    I've also noticed that when I'm zoomed in (200%) the line quality does improve, it's still not perfect compared to Painter, but it is a definite improvement. However inking at 200% isn't really a viable option.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2007 2:58 PM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    so it seems to be a mapping or tracking problem? it sure sounds like the wacom driver. you have no problems using a standard mouse, i suppose.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2007 1:24 AM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    This question may be redundant but when you "played around with the brush settings" did you actually reset everything* from the drop-down menu in the Brushes Palette?

* this means:

Clear Brush Controls

Rest All Locked Settings

Reset Brushes

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2007 11:09 AM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    Hey John,

Yup, I did a complete reset of all the brush settings/controls.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2007 12:39 PM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    >is ANYONE working correctly with this tablet and photoshop?

Stevie but he is on a Mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2007 3:02 PM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    Well I'm on a mac too!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2008 4:54 PM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    I have come across this as well, just purchase an intous3 9x12 and have the exact same drunken wobbly lines in PS, but smooth in painter etc.

Creativeboy, any further feedback/results? This is mighty annoying as PS is also my main sketching program.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2008 8:08 AM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    I am beginning to wonder if Painter has some kind of smoothing function that isn't present in Photoshop, possibly Photoshop shows exactly what you are drawing.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2008 1:37 PM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    wow this is interesting. I just purchased the new 12" Cintiq. I do a lot of inking in Illustrator (which works great yet of course Illustrator has smoothing options). My lines look bad in Photoshop which worked fine with my old ArtZ.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2008 7:05 AM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    I'm having the same problem when drawing with the brush tool in CS3-- jagged lines. Not as bad as a bitmap file but pretty close. I know that lines look jagged at 33.3% and 66.7% of full size but they do not smooth out at 25%, 50%, etc like they should. Text looks bad too, even at 100%.

I had no problems before when I was running OS 10.4 and CS2...

Any suggestions?

OS 10.5
    Mac Pro dual quad
    2GB ram
    ATI radeon HD 2600

Cintiq 21UX

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2008 7:09 AM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    ted
    http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@@.ee6b362

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2008 7:22 AM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    Yes I'm aware of that. This problem is really plaguing me so I'm looking in all forums for answers.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2008 12:59 PM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    Perhaps you have the "snap to grid" feature enabled. Go to the View menu, click Snap To, and make sure Grid is unchecked. Also go to the View menu, click Show, and make sure "Grid" is turned off there. The snapping behavior should only happen when the grid is visible, but perhaps you've done something to the grid settings that is making it invisible for some reason.

This helped another user with similar complaints: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c06162f/1

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2008 1:26 PM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    Redundant Question, but "Smoothing" is checked right? (Brushes Palette)
    I ask this because the two other applications might have some smoohting algorithm by default.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2008 4:09 PM   in reply to (CREATIVEBOY)
    Snap to Grid is off, snap to everything is off. And smoothing is checked. Neither help.

I do wonder, when i last used my intuos3 9x12 at my last job on CS, it worked fine. My new intuos 3 9x12 on CS or CS3 (mac or pc) gives the wobbly lines. What I have noticed is the tablet looks minutely different in places...in the way it is manufactured. The buttons for example have a large gap at the top which i didn't have last time.

What I am getting at is have wacom moved/changed their manufacturing facilities and for some reason these "newer" or "more recent" tablets have some quality issue/fault in them? I dont know, just the only thing I can think of, as this hasn't happened to anyone until recently, and now its happening to a large number of people.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)