Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

resize canvas to selection

Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2008 Oct 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,
is there a way to resize the canvas to the current selection (similar to image>>crop which crops the image to the selection) ?
thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can always copy the selection dimensions from the info palette into the image size dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could simply use guides, have them snap to the selection borders (which they do) then use the crop tool with the "Hide cropped regions" option. Gives the same result, just involves a few more steps.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark,

Isn't that exactly what Image>Crop is doing? Not sure I understand what you're asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i think i landed on this question to find this answer ..hahah thanks ! 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.

J Maloney, you mean image>>image size ? As I said, I don't want to resize the image, but the canvas. And I wasn't able to copy anything from the info palette (or did you mean enter the values manually in another dialogue as opposed to copy/paste?)

Mylenium, same thing, as marked bold in my OP, I need to resize the canvas, not crop the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Mylenium, same thing, as marked bold in my OP, I need to resize the
>canvas, not crop the image.

Umm, but that's what you do?! I really don't follow your logic. Technically it doesn't matter which method you employ, as long as the layers retain their pixel data, which is what you seem to require. You can even use the Crop tool to expand the canvas size, btw.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ed (and everyone else), I think you are confusing 3 different things:

1) image resizing: you take the whole image and multiply the amount of x and y pixels by some factor (or simply change dpi in case you don't resample the image)

2) cropping:
a) if your selection is smaller than the current image borders, than you actually delete all the pixelx outside the selection
b) if your selection is bigger than the current image borders, you resize the canvas
c) can be both a) + b)

3) canvas resizing: you just change the size of the active work space for your document.
a) make canvas smaller: like cropping 2a) but your pixels don't get deleted (get them back with image>>reveal all)
b) make canvas bigger: add transparency (or background colour) around the layers
c) can be both a)+b)

So I hope the different concepts are clear now.

Again, my question is:

Can I resize the CANVAS to my selection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Umm, but that's what you do?! I really don't follow your logic. Technically it doesn't matter which method you employ,

OK, Mylenium, then please tell me a method which resizes the canvas to the current selection (rectangle).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make your selection, go to Image-Crop.

Ah, but you want to keep what's outside the crop. Just use the crop tool then. You draw the rectangle with the crop tool, instead of using some other tool to make the selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you absolutely need to use some other tool to draw your selection and crop to it, then make your selection, create a new transparent layer and fill it. This will just be a dummy layer. Turn your snap on and use the crop tool, snapping to the edges of the dummy. Crop with the "hide" option checked in the options bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[ed]
>Crop with the "hide" option checked in the options bar.

Thanks PeterK. Make sure the background layer isn't selected.

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Crop with the "hide" option checked in the options bar.

OK, sorry, I thought you were talking about "shield". I didn't know the "hide" option. Great!

So, if I want to hide-crop to an existing selection, is there no other solution than the workaround with a dummy-layer? It would have been cool if the "resize canvas" dialogue were intelligent and propose the values of the current selection if any such selection exists already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark

Make your selection.

Look at the W and H in the Info Palette.

Go to Image > Crop.

Now, what is the canvas size?

Doh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes of course John. Your point being ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The canvas is now resized to the selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but the pixels outside the selection are deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> 3) canvas resizing: you just change the size of the active work space for your document.

> No. I don't think you can do this in PS. I've always wanted more of this functionality, akin to pasteboards, and would love to hear someone weigh in on plug-ins/tricks to achieve this. I don't think anyone in this thread is confused, yet. "Canvas resize," as far as I understand PS, is a full crop, where none of data outside the crop is retained.
J

J, that's not correct. Didn't you ever try? Canvas resizing does *not* delete pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> "Yes, but the pixels outside the selection are deleted."

> "Crop with the "hide" option checked in the options bar."

I've read and re-read and opened up an experiment image, trying to follow what you want to do, and still don't understand why the italicised reply above (from PeterK) doesn't work for what you're after. I don't even see the need for creating a "dummy" layer.

Maybe you need to explain again, with more specific detail.

Maybe you could detail (using ONLY pixels as your unit of measurement) starting Canvas dimensions, layer dimensions (all data, not just the visible portion), and the dimensions of the selections/crops/final canvas size you want.

In my experiments, the "Hide" option did exactly what I interpreted your needs to be.

BTW, Mark...what version of Photoshop are you using? Might not make a difference, but revealing that info is just a good habit to get into.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and if you want to post screen shots (with annotations!) you can use the services of http://www.pixentral.com to host them and to generate thumbnails and HTML code for you to paste into a reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Didn't you ever try?

I just did (use the crop tool with "hide" selected instead of the default "delete"). That's why I edited my post and thanked PeterK (and Mylenium too 🙂 ).

However, to be clear, I still stand by my comment that "canvas resize" from the image... canvas size menu does nothing but crop/delete. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VERY flipping interesting.

I just tried this with CS3:

Made a canvas 250 x 250 pixels/clear background.

Fill with a gradient (so I can tell if I get everything back)

Image > Canvas Size: 100 x 100 pixels

Image > Canvas Size 250 x 250 pixels

And all the data was still there.

HOWEVER:

Repeating this with a white background or flattened file WILL INDEED permanently crop the data.

Curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Canvas resize will allow you to "reveal all" afterwards, as long as you change your "background" layer to a regular layer. Reveal all only works on the contents of layers, not images consisting of only background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! Thank you. That explains it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Yes, but the pixels outside the selection are deleted."

> "Crop with the "hide" option checked in the options bar."

>I've read and re-read and opened up an experiment image, trying to follow what you want to do, and still don't understand why the italicised reply above (from PeterK) doesn't work for what you're after.

Yes, I already acknowledged that it works. I said "sorry" (because I was mistaken) and "great".

As for your question: I'm using CS3.

> I don't even see the need for creating a "dummy" layer.

Do you see any other way to resize the canvas to a existing selection ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines