• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"You need to install a printer" error messages?

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2008 Dec 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vista 64bit / CS4 / LR2 / Epson 2200 & HP 970Cse Printers

Every other week or so, I get the error message "Before you can perform printer-related . . . . you need to install a printer". In this case, I made a good number of prints yesterday without a problem, now this morning, the error message?

Un-installing and reinstalling my printers on a regular basis is a real efficiency killer, but seems to work. By the way, while I am having this problem with CS4, I can print with LR2 and all other programs.

Help with a cause, and coming up a solution will be greatly appreciated - Happy Holidays, Bob

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2008 Dec 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: I've discovered that if I make a printer other than the Epson 2200 the default printer, CS4 doesn't give the error message, and will print with the Epson 2200. Doesn't make any sense to me, but it works :-)- IM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2009 Jan 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same error message - I am using XP Pro with two printers, an epson 2200 and a Brother laser. I am in CS4. The epson printed fine from photoshop this morning, then when I tried to print a tiff file just now I received the error message. I closed photoshop, checked the cable, reopened the document, and it printed HALF WAY, then stopped & now when I try to print any file in PS I get this error message. It cannot be a driver, hardware issue or the printers, as 1) I got it to start printing a few minutes ago, then it suddenly stopped seeing the printer, and 2) I can print from any other program to either printer.

Help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2009 Mar 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After spending several months preparing a few documents, I received this error message for the first time on the morning of the 'Big Presentation'.

>Before you can perform priter-related tasks such as page setup or printing a document, you need to intsll a printer.

There was no time to troubleshoot the problem; I simply had to give the presentation without the documents. The clients who had flown in to see them were not very sympathetic.

I was using
b Photoshop CS4
in
b XP64
with a variety of network printers and even a local printer. In the little time I had, I noticed that PSCS4 was the ONLY program that had a problem printing. I tried deleting all the printers and reinstalling them. I changed the default printer. I deleted the preference files, using the automatic way and the manual way. I tried printing one of the documents from two other computers that had PSCS4. One had
b Vista 64
and one had
b Beta 7
. Every OS and every computer gave the same error message, even though they had worked fine on the previous day.

Later, I had more time to troubleshoot. Plenty of time, in fact. I reinstalled PSCS4. Still my documents would not print. However, I noticed that
b if I created a NEW document, I did NOT get the error.
So the problem seemed to be document specific. Eventually, I tried printing the documents from
b Photoshop CS3
. They printed! So I saved the documents while still in CS3. Now when I opened them in CS4,
b they could once again be printed successfully!

I experimented more with one of the documents that would not print. I tried making changes and even deleted every layer. Still, it would not print.
b Nothing I did in CS4 would fix the file.
I archived the file for posterity so that if someone wants to see the problem first hand, I can send them the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2009 Mar 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem several times, and the open and save in CS3
trick is the only thing I've found that would fix the problem. It has
been some months since it has happened and I'm hoping that one of the
upgrades fixed the problem

John Passaneau

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2009 Sep 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I have the same problem.  Sorry my vocabulary, but this is a stupid problem with a stupid solution. The only solution I found was this:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/409/kb409119.html

Solution 6:

1. If your image contains a Background layer, double click the Background layer in the Layers panel, and click OK in the New Layer dialog box.
  2. Choose Select > All Layers.
  3. Choose Layer > Duplicate Layers.
  4. Select New in the Document field.
  5. (Optional) Type in a name for the new document.
  6. Click OK.

I don't know exactly what caused this problem, but I think that is related with the ICC profiles. When I found the real cause, I will tell you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 09, 2009 Sep 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sams2 wrote:

I don't know exactly what caused this problem, but I think that is related with the ICC profiles. When I found the real cause, I will tell you.

That solution simply created a new vesion of the document but without the data that was causing the printer error.

It may just have been one bad file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using old versions and change setting in my system then it is not working because of old that is not compatible with my system. Ricoh printer has approached  to install a new version to fix the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was getting this message periodically.  I ran the troubleshooter on my printer and for some reason the print spooler was not starting automatically.  Troubleshooter "fixed" the problem and I was able to print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QUICK SOLUTION. Had this same problem of needing to install the printer even though my printer printed fine for other docs. But I noticed that some CS4 files were able to print while others not.  So I simply opened another few file, split screened the two docs, and simply copied the old layers to the new doc. During the process, I confirmed that the new doc showed printer properties window when promted to print. So wala! Problem solved!  This will save you some serious time. : )  Just got an urge to share that Jesus loves you very much. Me too.  : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is old, but it actually works! hanks BOB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines