Skip navigation
(j23clark)
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS4 APPCRASH @ Startup Vista 32bit

Feb 25, 2009 5:07 PM

Hi,
I've currently trying to fix photoshop on my company computer and I can't seem to get it to work. I've tried the following:
1. uninstall/delete files/reinstall
2. clear prefetch files
3. scan for viruses and registry errors
4. run as admin, run on different account, run in compatibility mode

My Computer is a Dell XPS1530 with 8600m GT. Photoshop worked fine for quite sometime and now it crashes with the following error after reaching "Building color conversion Tables"

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Photoshop.exe
Application Version: 11.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 48d3882e
Fault Module Name: kernel32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a76d
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000254d8
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 48a4
Additional Information 2: 25d86d7052aea144c126756ba05fe7f4
Additional Information 3: 33ef
Additional Information 4: cb36b8e1128214d6ae58aa905338119c

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
John

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2009 5:27 PM   in reply to (j23clark)
    see the FAQ. reset the preferences... i think it's the 2nd topic in the FAQ list (top of this forum list).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2009 5:14 AM   in reply to (j23clark)
    This any good to you? http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs4clean.html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2009 9:36 AM   in reply to (j23clark)
    As soon as you have attempted an install there is a chance that residues of an aborted attempt will remain on the hard drive, hence the recommendation of the clean script.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2009 10:19 AM   in reply to (j23clark)
    :-) Thanks John - perhaps I should have mentioned that in my post.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2009 10:30 AM   in reply to (j23clark)
    :)

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2009 8:45 AM   in reply to (j23clark)

Did you ever figure this problem out?  I now have the same issue...

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2009 8:55 AM   in reply to rcharting

Nobody in the thread actually confirmed that they had succesfully reset the PS preferences.

It should be done as described in the FAQ.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776?tstart=0

You either have to physically delete (or rename) the preference files or, if using the Alt, Ctrl, and Shift method, be sure that you get a confirmation dialog.

This resets all settings in Photoshop to factory defaults.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2009 9:39 AM   in reply to John Joslin

I've reset the prefences file (both using the keystrokes and manually deleting the files), reinstalled, and updated with no sucess.  I've also tried, and failed, to run in Window's Safe mode.  I'm actually using the CS3 version of Photoshop, but this was the only discussion thread that I found w/ my same problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2010 11:23 AM   in reply to (j23clark)

My wife's Win XP SP3 machine just started having the same crash when photoshop CS4 gets to the color table loading. Haven't touched the Adobe software on her machine for months, so this is very strange.

I wonder if a recent Microsoft patch might be causing this.

Anyone?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2010 1:55 PM   in reply to tarafrost

The easy fix to try when photoshop starts to act up is to trash the prefs either by keyboard or the manual way. Read this:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2010 2:46 PM   in reply to rcharting

If trashing the Prefs does not work, and it usually will, you might want to do a bit of detective work. When a program hangs, or crashes, there is usually a breadcrumb trail, leading up to it. Event Viewer will often have error and warning messages at the time of the hang, or crash. This ARTICLE will give you some tips on gathering clues as to what is happening.

Also, it might pay to update your video drivers, especially if there have been any recent OS updates, or hot-fixes. PS does not interface as closely with these, as say Premiere does, but there can still be issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2010 5:50 PM   in reply to dec9

> The easy fix to try when photoshop starts to act up is to trash the prefs either by keyboard or the manual way.

Been there, done that...didn't help unfortunately.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2010 5:53 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill:

Thanks....I'll check out that article and see if I can figure out what's causing the crash on startup, since blowing away the prefs didn nothing.

I reverted windows patches to a point where PS was still working, but that didn't help either.

Only other change was me installing an extra USB card (needed more ports) in that box, which would have likely moved allocations/port numbers for the printer and scanner. I'm wondering if that change has caused PS to barf?

I'll have to try removing the printer and scanner, plus removing the drivers to see if that restores PS to a working state. I've noticed in the past that twain drivers on Windoze can be a nightmare.

Thanks for the tips....

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2010 6:05 PM   in reply to tarafrost

I just scan using the scan software, make adjustments, then save to a folder on my hard drive. Twain is suppose to work with 32 bit but you know how that goes. There is no 64 bit support for Twain so scanning with my software is the only choice for me.

You might be on to something with the ports. I would just remove the printer and scanner then boot the computer up and remove the software. Then shut the computer down again. Restart the computer and then start photoshop and my thinking is that it will be reset as not to see the scanner and printer. Then shut down PS and your computer. Then do your install process of the printer and scanner on the newer USB ports. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)