I just built a new computer and installed Adobe CS3 Production Premium, with all the updates (Premiere Pro 3.2).
I'm editing a project with DVCPRO HD 720p clips.
When I try to open the Adobe Media Encoder, Premiere freezes, and I'm forced to restart the whole computer. (The task manager doesn't help.)
It seems to be random too- sometimes it'll open, sometimes not. But mostly not.
Any ideas? Thank you in advance!
Windows XP Pro SP3
EVGA nForce 750i mobo
Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz
4GB ram (3gb usable, sigh)
GeForce 9800 GT
500GB system drive and two 500GB media drives (all with plenty of free space)
Jeff Bellune, Dec 3, 2008 11:09 AM
>Premiere freezes, and I'm forced to restart the whole computer. (The task manager doesn't help.)
This behavior is typical of a crash with Creative Soundblaster audio hardware installed and in use. The app crashes and you can't kill it in Task Manager because the Creative drivers won't let go of the audio resources.
What type of audio is in the clips? In the project?
Well, I completely uninstalled and physically removed the X-Fi card, turned on the mobo audio, and now everything seems peachy.
Do you know of any work arounds for the X-Fi though? I'd love to use it if I can...
OK, so you've eliminated the X-Fi as the cause of the crash or the no-kill tasks left over in Task Manager.
Can you export to movie without crashing?
For the times that the AME opens, can you export successfully? What format/codec are you using for export?
Is there any other software on your system that either plays or encodes to the formats you want to use for export in the AME? Any other software that accesses your hardware while you are trying to export?
You can see the full txt report from Sherlock here:
Is there a way to repair these? I don't have any extra third party software installed, except for Magic Bullet Looks, but it's only an effects-based plug-in- nothing to do with exporting.
How could I repair these broken codecs?
GSpot, Sherlock and probably a couple of other programs will report them as broken but they're (usually) not broken at all.
The thing you should check for is that the actual .ax files that are listed in the "broken codecs" list are where they should be. Use Windows Explorer to check to see that they exist in the proper location as listed by Sherlock.
If those files don't exist, then it's possible that an overzealous system or AntiVirus cleaning utility removed them. In that case, a reinstall of Pr will be required.
When the AME has opened, I've been using the H.264 codec from the pulldown menu (as opposed to the Quicktime option with h.264).
I don't think there is any other software that would interfere with the codecs, other than Windows Media Explorer, winamp, nero, quicktime (7.55). I have all of these on my old computer without problems.
I don't know about WinAmp, but Nero is notorious for installing various modules that run as background tasks. Do you have any background processes from Nero, or even have Nero and/or WinAmp running while you try to export?
Is the QuickTime tray task running?
If you installed WinAmp, Nero or QuickTime *after* you installed Premiere, then I recommend doing a repair install of Pr.
Hi Jeff, I tried reinstalling Premiere, and it wouldn't open from a Licensing issue. I called tech support and tried several things to no avail. Finally I had to uninstall and reinstall Premiere, and then it opened, but the AME problem remained.
SO, I ran out and bought Vista, and now all seems fine.
I wasn't having any problems until I upgraded my computer and tried working with old projects. Guess there's something to be said about sticking with a stable system (or at least keeping projects on the computers they were created on).
Thank you again for all your help!
I'll let you know if I run into any similar problems with Vista.