Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Crash upon opening Adobe Media Encoder

Nov 24, 2008 4:38 PM

Hello,
I just built a new computer and installed Adobe CS3 Production Premium, with all the updates (Premiere Pro 3.2).
I'm editing a project with DVCPRO HD 720p clips.
When I try to open the Adobe Media Encoder, Premiere freezes, and I'm forced to restart the whole computer. (The task manager doesn't help.)
It seems to be random too- sometimes it'll open, sometimes not. But mostly not.
Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

Windows XP Pro SP3
EVGA nForce 750i mobo
Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz
4GB ram (3gb usable, sigh)
GeForce 9800 GT
X-Fi
500GB system drive and two 500GB media drives (all with plenty of free space)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 24, 2008 5:23 PM   in reply to (matty_char)
    >Premiere freezes, and I'm forced to restart the whole computer. (The task manager doesn't help.)

>X-Fi

This behavior is typical of a crash with Creative Soundblaster audio hardware installed and in use. The app crashes and you can't kill it in Task Manager because the Creative drivers won't let go of the audio resources.

What type of audio is in the clips? In the project?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2008 9:36 PM   in reply to (matty_char)
    Does the crash without the X-Fi still prevent killing the task in Task Manager?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2008 5:46 AM   in reply to (matty_char)
    OK, so you've eliminated the X-Fi as the cause of the crash or the no-kill tasks left over in Task Manager.

Can you export to movie without crashing?

For the times that the AME opens, can you export successfully? What format/codec are you using for export?

Is there any other software on your system that either plays or encodes to the formats you want to use for export in the AME? Any other software that accesses your hardware while you are trying to export?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2008 3:22 PM   in reply to (matty_char)
    >How could I repair these broken codecs?

GSpot, Sherlock and probably a couple of other programs will report them as broken but they're (usually) not broken at all.

The thing you should check for is that the actual .ax files that are listed in the "broken codecs" list are where they should be. Use Windows Explorer to check to see that they exist in the proper location as listed by Sherlock.

If those files don't exist, then it's possible that an overzealous system or AntiVirus cleaning utility removed them. In that case, a reinstall of Pr will be required.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2008 4:06 PM   in reply to (matty_char)
    I don't know about WinAmp, but Nero is notorious for installing various modules that run as background tasks. Do you have any background processes from Nero, or even have Nero and/or WinAmp running while you try to export?

Is the QuickTime tray task running?

If you installed WinAmp, Nero or QuickTime *after* you installed Premiere, then I recommend doing a repair install of Pr.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2008 11:09 AM   in reply to (matty_char)
    You're welcome. Glad you found a solution. :)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)