Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

AVCHD and premiere pro cs3

Oct 25, 2007 8:06 PM

is this supported??? i think about invest in a sony HDR-SR8E...

Replies 1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 26, 2007 1:43 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    No.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2007 3:22 PM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    Sitting here with my brand new SR7 and CS3, and I can't even get them together with a sledgehammer

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2007 3:42 PM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    Cineform

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2007 8:56 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    Ok. I'm confused. Premiere help says that M2T files ARE supported for import, but you all say they aren't. Also, when I try to import them (they are actually m2ts, but everything I've read says they are the same), it gives me the error saying it's an unsupported file type or a corrupted file. If this is true and I can't import these files, is there a way for me to record right into or playback and record into Premiere? I could with my old camera, but this one (Sony HDR-SR5) doesn't seem to let me play back when it's connected to the computer. Could I do it through the HDMI out with some kind of adaptor? Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2007 8:59 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    When companies say that their stuff is supported, they don't always say how well.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2007 9:55 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    there is a serious difference between M2T and M2TS - that "S" is there for a reason. What you have read is a lie or you did not undewrstand what they were saying.

AT this point in time, AVCHD is not up to par with HDV, but AVC-Intra will be better than HDV. Or, at least, the cameras they use it on will ensure it is better, I believe.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2007 11:08 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    I think AVCHD has the potential to be better quality than HDV. It's just the current crop of cameras aren't full quality as defined by the format.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2007 12:09 PM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    Exactly. The is nothing wrong with the format, per se, just the way it is currently being implemented.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2007 1:00 PM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    >nothing wrong with the format, per se

Well, nothing other than the inherently bad idea of using a GOP.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2007 7:37 PM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    Well, there is that, of course. But that is taken care of with the AVC-Intra now isn't it?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2007 8:00 PM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    It is indeed.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2007 1:26 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    I have an SR7 and I have found the best workflow is to use Sony Vegas to combine all the AVCHD clips and render out as HDV and use that in PP. Found results were far better than the Elecard converter - which was a bit flaky on my setup

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2007 4:09 PM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    Just seen Jim's reply - AVCHD is not supported in CS3.
    The new Main Concept Mpeg Pro HD v3 plugin brings AVCHD support to CS3 but the AVCHD footage is an absolute pig to edit on the timeline. Much easier to go via HDV (as mentioned above)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2007 6:57 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    Will Adobe Premier Pro CS3 support the Sony HDR-SR7 in the near future? I cannot bring any video into PP regardless if in SD (.mpg) or HD (.m2ts) format!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2007 8:33 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    No one knows.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2007 8:38 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    I think I will be looking elsewhere for my "Total Solution"

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2007 11:48 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    Check this out - may be a solution for you

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/product.asp?pid=457

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2007 12:53 PM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    What about this?:

http://www.mainconcept.com/site/consumer-products-4/mpeg-pro-hd-7850/f eatures-7861.html

MPEG PRO HD 3

Plug-in for Adobe® Premiere® Pro

Features

Compatible with Adobe® Premiere® Pro 2.0 and CS3:

* MPEG Pro HD 3 now works with Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 and is still compatible with previous versions of Premiere Pro 2.0.

Real-time capture to MPEG:

* Capture from various analog and digital sources. Eliminate rendering time by capturing directly to the format you'll be editing.

MPEG import:

* Import and edit existing MPEG files.

Native MPEG editing with smart rendering:

* Edit MPEG material without unnecessary rendering - only changed frames are rendered.

IEEE 1394:

* IEEE 1394 output during editing and scrubbing.

Sony MXF Support:

* MXF file support for Sony XDCAM HD and XDCAM EX.

H.264 support:

* Easily import and export H.264 video.

AVC-HD support:

* Easily import and export AVC-HD video.

DV support:

* Edit MPEG and DV material with equal ease.

AAC and Dolby® Digital support:

* Import and export AAC (Advanced Audio Coding), as well as Dolby® Digital audio stereo and 5.1 in high-quality, low bit-rate.

Ultra-fast performance:

* Edit with up to real-time performance at DVD resolution.

Sony PSP and Apple iPod presets:

* Export projects by using default profiles for Sony PlayStation Portable and Apple iPod.

Smart requantizing:

* Convert material from one MPEG format to another (for example from MICROMV to DVD-compliant MPEG-2) without re-encoding - save time and prevent quality loss.

Native support for the latest HDV camcorders:

* Import, capture, edit and export video footage in 720p or 1080i from your Sony, Canon or JVC HD camcorder. Of course, you can also play the videos back to the camera again.

Supports Intel® Core 2 Duo technology

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2007 1:52 PM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    Even Sony Vegas -whilst supporting AVCHD - suggests that you render the clips (using a vfw avi HDV preset = BIG files) BEFORE you use them on the timeline. If you dont the native AVCHD scrubs and plays like a bunch of 2 second stills. AVCHD in PP CS3 (with MC plugin) is exactly the same. I came to the conclusion that the AVCHD must be rendered out to HDV and then edited - and that works pretty well. By the way, the plugin will get you over the SD (mpg) incompatibility with the footage from the Sony SR7.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2007 8:00 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    Mark, I agree with you 100%. Why does Adobe not step up to the plate and offer support for this format. Why should we have to spend $400 + to make this happen.
    I teach a video production class at a local University and have always used Premiere as the editing software of choice.
    It's difficult to continue to endorse this product if they can't offer support for all or most of the popular formats.
    This format was developed way before CS3 was released.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2007 8:36 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    > Why does Adobe not step up to the plate and offer support for this format.

I was given footage today shot with this camera, as well about 7 discs from the straight to DVD cameras... The quality is
    b very poor.

This is why it is not supported, the quality is terrible. My old Sony Mini DV with a single CCD is better than this. I do not understand why people would want to shoot with a camera that yields disgusting pictures.

I am re shooting the video myself with a proper camera, the HVX 200. Now that is quality.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2007 1:11 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    The footage from SR7/8 is not poor. They are consumer cameras and whilst the bit rate is not the best the AVCDH standard can accomodate, I am more than pleased with the HD footage from what is a £700 UK Pounds tiny consumer camera. Are you viewing it's native m2ts files? and what do you mean by 'poor'? Comparison with a HVX 200 is hardly appropriate!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2007 11:19 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    >I teach a video production class at a local University and have always used Premiere as the editing software of choice.

If you want your students to be truly prepared for working in the outside post-production world, do them a favor and move to FCP. That's where the serious work is being done. Premiere "Pro", while it had great promise, is not keeping up (understatement), and there are few indications this course will change. I'd love to be proven wrong, but the secrecy policies in place at Adobe apparently prevent them from communicating openly about current or future product development. Users are left without a clue. This policy would be tolerable if PPro was holding its own against the competition, but under the circumstances, I think we deserve an explanation of their intent.

Oh, and FCP will edit AVCHD.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2007 1:28 PM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    I would have changed that sentiment to say that if he wants his students prepared for working in the outside world he should dump the AVCHD cameras and stick with MiniDV. You're not likely to find many pros or production companies using AVCHD. You will still find a great many using DV, which is far easier to work with.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2007 1:49 PM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    and saves a lot of money since computer requirements are far more affordable. When editing AVCHD get ready to exchange all your computers to the latest quad core technology with double the memory. Seems like a waste of money.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2007 7:23 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    >if he wants his students prepared for working in the outside world he should dump the AVCHD cameras and stick with MiniDV.

Oh, thanks for clearing this up. All this time I thought a quality video education course should concern itself with things like composition, camera angles, lighting, sound, editing technique, story telling skills and so forth.

Seriously, what on earth does the camera have to do with any of that? Shooting VHS would be perfectly adequate at that level.

I'd much rather see a well crafted story shot with a crap camera than garbage shot in 35mm film.

>You will still find a great many using DV, which is far easier to work with.

AVCHD is converted to ProRes in FCP, so ease of editing is not an issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2007 8:32 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    > Oh, thanks for clearing this up. All this time I thought a quality video education course should concern itself with things like composition, camera angles, lighting, sound, editing technique, story telling skills and so forth.

What are you doing on these forums??

Good God man, you just complain about everything and your answer to everything is "go buy Final Cut!". How does that help people????? They need to spend thousands of dollars to do that, instead of suggesting something that stupid why not try help with issues concerning ADOBE PREMIERE...

Can you do that? Or will ProRes handle that!??? Cocky *******

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2007 9:40 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    >Seriously, what on earth does the camera have to do with any of that?

The same thing your software suggestion has to do with it. It's a way to get things working again. But in my opinion, a better way because DV media will work with any NLE, and is still very relevant in the professional world. AVCHD is not likely to ever be as relevant to pros, so working around it seems not the best solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2007 9:57 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    > Seriously, what on earth does the camera have to do with any of that?

That's why they shot Feature Films with cameras like that; AVCHD is the way for Spielbergs next film.....

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2007 10:02 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    Very unlikely Sammy.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2007 10:05 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    My point exactly.

AVCHD is a joke, for little kids.

Why people waste resources on it is a mystery...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2007 10:12 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    Ah, sarcasm. Got it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2007 3:16 PM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    >Good God man, you just complain about everything and your answer to everything is "go buy Final Cut!". How does that help people?????

Well, Sammy, in my own, odd little way, I mistakenly thought that trying to initiate discussion beyond the myvideowontplayinpremierewhatdoido thread was a good idea. Bad me. At some level I must have been under the delusion that a little noise from the gallery might just "inspire" Adobe and improve things for all of us. You may see me as a traitor or specifically a "Cocky *******" (thanks for that), but I'm on your side, too. We all want PPro to be the best it can be.

And to keep this on-topic, if you've done any reading you'll know that AVCHD
    i is
    a promising compression scheme. Most cameras using it throttle the data rate so low that it doesn't hold up well, but that could change.

Thanks, guys. It's been fun.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2007 3:55 PM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    >Most cameras using it throttle the data rate so low that it doesn't hold up well, but that could change.

Yes, that is exactly the issue. Not only is it throttled down, but the glass is not as good as a great camera. There is nothing wrong with the compressions scheme per se, just the current implementation.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2007 4:52 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    How does the low bitrate in AVCHD manifest itself guys - is it typically artifacts in fast moving shots? What should I look for or shoot? (just been experimenting with different 'quality' settings on a sony consumer avchd cam - which I assume just changes the bit rate. Tks

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2007 5:10 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    In general whenever you use a long GOP compression codec, be it MPEG2 or MPEG4, go for the maximum quality and lowest compression possible. Your recording time will decrease, but you will get the best quality possible and the chances of re shooting are negligent or impossible. So go for the best.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2007 7:06 AM   in reply to (Mark_Norway)
    Absolutely Harm - When using the AVCHD I always uses 'best' setting (and 60G gives me 5 hours anyway) No, I was just experimenting ... to try and work out for myself what is gonna get better when higher bit rates (24M) are eventually incorporatd in the AVCHD cams

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)