Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

VST Plug-ins loading and not wanted! help?

Feb 10, 2009 6:21 PM

I have Steinberg Cubase installed for Audio editing and installed a lot of VST plugins for it. The problem is when I launch PremPro CS4 it tries to load all these audio plugs, most of which are not designed for Premiere and thus giving me errors on startup and making it crash.

Can anybody tell me why this is and how to stop them loading, I only want the plugs that came with CS4?

Thanks you to anyone that can help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2009 6:09 AM   in reply to (Mark_Selleck)

Open a command prompt and type the following:
    cd c:\program files\steinberg\vstplugins
    dir /b > blacklist.txt

This will create a file called "blacklist.txt" with all files (one per line) that CS4 should ignore.

I might have remembered the folder name incorrectly, but you get the idea.

Cheers
    Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
    - Over 300 frequently answered questions
    - Over 250 free tutorials
    - Maintained by editors like you
    Forum FAQ

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2009 8:25 AM   in reply to (Mark_Selleck)
    Mark,

Many Adobe programs, that use VST's, will search for installed .dll's. Usually, even if they cannot use a particular one, they will still load it, and most do not cause problems. With one, SampleTank.dll, I got an initial message that Premiere could not use it, but it still loads at startup. No more message, but I did see it the very first time.

Some VST's do cause problems. Native Instruments' VST's are known issues with Premiere and Audition. I would guess that your particular Steinberg VST's are the same.

I had not seen Eddie's suggestion before, and hope that the folk, who use NI will find it and allow them to use both Adobe and NI, without having to uninstall NI.

To some, this loading of VST's is a "feature," but to others, when things do not work, it is a "problem."

Thanks to Eddie for pointing out the "cure." Think I'll apply it to SampleTank.dll, though it is not causing any problem, but it will not work in Premiere.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2009 8:31 AM   in reply to (Mark_Selleck)

Bill, I have been meaning to create a wiki page about this issue, but time is not on my side lately.

If PPro fails to load a VST plug-in the first time, it will make a note of it in the Windows Registry and it will not try to load it again.

Cheers
    Eddie

Forum FAQ

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2009 6:17 AM   in reply to (Mark_Selleck)
    >I have been meaning to create a wiki page about this issue

Well blow me down, another post reminded me that I had already documented this.

See "PlayerMediaCore Taking Several Minutes to Load" reply #8.

I'm getting old. :)

Cheers
    Eddie

Forum FAQ

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2009 6:24 AM   in reply to (Mark_Selleck)
    But not senile, since you remembered...

Keep Smiling

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2009 6:28 AM   in reply to (Mark_Selleck)
    Not yet, at least. ;)

Cheers
    Eddie

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2010 3:40 AM   in reply to Eddie Lotter

I also have Adobe Audition installed on the same computer as Premiere Elements 7.0. Will the blacklist text file not also stop Audition loading the VST plugins? I still want Audition to load the VST plugins but not Premiere.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2010 10:59 AM   in reply to (Mark_Selleck)

I have this exact same issue except on Mac OSX 10.5.8! If I remove my VST folder from Library->Audio->Plugins Premiere Pro opens up fine, but when it when I have that VST folder in there Premiere freezes on the startup splashscreeen usually after going through all the VST's and hitting mpeg Blu-ray... What do I do????

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2010 8:57 AM   in reply to SkylineStudios205

With PrPro CS4 (do not know about earlier versions), each time that PrPro hits a VST, that it can't load, it writes to the blacklist file, and does not try to load that one again. If one has many VST's that cannot be loaded, it might take many failures to launch, before the list is completed. Once it is, PrPro will not try to load those VST's, and all will be fine. Just takes several launches, to compile the full list. I assume that this is X-platform.

This ARTICLE will give a little more background on VST's, and Premiere.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2010 9:04 AM   in reply to BXPulse

You might want to post to the PrElements forum. As for the VST's in Audition, they should not be an issue. I have PrE 4 and Audition 3 on my laptop and each opens just fine. Usually, the offending VST's are "instruments," for programs like Native Instruments, and other audio-creation programs.

Also, PrPro CS4 will create a blacklist file, with each VST hang upon launch. It keeps adding offending VST's to that list, until it has eliminated all offending VST's, and will NOT try to load those. This can take many launches and time. Also, if one adds VST's, that cannot be loaded, the process will have to be repeated, with multiple launches/failures, until the new VST's are added and the blacklist is updated.

Through PrE 8, I do not believe that such a blacklist is created, but cannot say for sure. It might be a case of having to "hide" the offending VST's from the program. Many have located them into a Desktop folder, and then pointed their audio program to that location.

This ARTICLE will give you some background on VST's and Premiere.

Good luck, and I'll see you in the PrE forum.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 4:38 PM   in reply to (Mark_Selleck)

Solution: The blacklist.txt file containing the VST plug-in filenames cannot interpret spaces in the .DLL filenames.

Rename your VST .DLL's with underscore (_) characters instead, and place those in the blacklist.txt files (one in each subdirectory containing .DLL's to be ignored during startup) and Adobe's products (PP/AE/etc.) should launch correctly.

For example:  I renamed "Kontakt 5 16out.dll" to "Kontakt_5_16out.dll" and inserted that into blacklist.txt and Adobe finally ignored loading it.  Reaper still loads all the NI instruments for me correctly, as does Cakewalk Sonar X10 with the renamed DLL's.

I've detailed more at my blog entry: http://wp.me/p19fnS-9f

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 9:16 AM   in reply to jhlui12

Anyone knows the solution in MAC? Becasue I think the backlist only goes well in Windows

Regards

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 11:40 PM   in reply to trompetistasolitario

Different folder and filename?

Go to /Users/<youraccount>/Library/Preferences/Cubase <n>, and trash the file "Vst2xBlacklist.xml, then relaunch Cubase.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 5:42 AM   in reply to jhlui12

Hi jhlui12, thanks for answering.

I'm not using Cubase, I'm using Logic Pro, and in Preferences there's no folder about Logic Pro.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)