• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove Razor Cut

Contributor ,
Apr 02, 2009 Apr 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyway to go back into a sequence and remove a razor cut?

Thanks
Phil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try UNDO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you are doing here Harm, hilarious. This question is about doing what Premiere does easily and intuitively which is "join through edits" and Audition doesn't seem to have the same easy option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

mattk52417333  wrote

I see what you are doing here Harm, hilarious.

Sadly, Harm passed away a while back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be after it has been there awhile. I think that most of us understand that if we put one in and decide it is in the wrong spot we know to hit UNDO... Thanks for the help though.

To be more specific I have my main video track on V1 and then the cutaway camera on V2. I just scrubbed through the video and put a bunch of cuts in V2 where I wanted to use the cutaway. After I made about 10 cuts I realized that one of them near the front I did not mean to do. Now I realize that I could just leave it there and the video play just fine over the top of it, but I just want to alleviate any confusion when I go back to remove all the the clips that I do not want in V2. No big deal if there is only a handful of cuts to remember to leave that one there, but I know that i am somewhat forgetful and I will not remember where that cut is until after I have removed a bunch of stuff and realize that something is screwy with my video.

Any suggestions Besides UNDO...

Thanks
Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phil,

Harm's suggestion works if you've immediately or not too long after changed your mind. However, if it was a while back since you add the edit, undo won't fix the problem.

Unfortunately, PPro lacks this direct ability at this time. The workaround is to select the clip immediately before or immediately after the edit, delete it, and then drag the head or tail of the remaining clip to fill in the gap. You'll have to replace any transitions that existed on the clip you deleted.

Adding a "remove edit" command would be a great feature request...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three years later and still no way to "one-click reconnect" an accidental razor edit?!

Oh and yes, this is not when you JUST used the razor tool (for which you can of course just undo) but if the cut was made a while back and I don't want to undo all my other edits. And I know I can just delete one clip and drag...but I still can't IDENTIFY easily where this mistaken razor cut is located. It'd be nice to identify where an accidental razor edit was made like in FCP. If a clip is cut with a razor and no further edit is made then nothing happens but it would be nice (for multicam edits specifically) that if its done accidentally, I could easily identify WHERE a razor cut is that does NOT result in a change of clips/angles.

FCP identifies this by having two small red arrows pointing inward on each clip signaling that the two clips are the same continuous clip and then if I right-click on the razor cut I can re-join the clip and the razor cut disappears. Much easier and more helpful. Feature request submitted today HERE. Just hope this isn't overlooked for another 3 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, actually there IS a way to correct that Razor Cut.

You have a Clip, and then Cut it, so that you have two sub-clips (note: there is an official element, called Sub-Clips, so do not confuse them). You wish to close that Cut (basically healing it). Just Select that second sub-clip, and Delete it. Click on the Tail of the first sub-clips, and drag it to the point, where the Tail of the second sub-clip (the one that we Deleted) was. Done.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - other than maybe some minor inconvenience when, say moving Clips that have been Cut, that Cut is really meaningless, as PrPro will just reference the Source Clip, and do nothing where that Cut exists, when outputting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hunt!

Thanks for the response. As I mentioned before I do know that I can simply delete and drag. I also know that it does nothing when outputting, etc. BUT, deleting and dragging eliminates any transition tied to the END of the clip (if its the 2nd sub clip as you stated). So now I have to delete, drag, then reapply the transition. 3 steps instead of one.  FCP had it right here allowing me to easily identify the "meaningless" cut, and then simply right click and "re-join" the 2 subclips. Done. Faster. More efficient. Better.

The issue with the cut being meaningless is true BUT it helps to have what FCP has (with the 2 little red arrows showing that the clips can be re-joined) in case I made a mistake in my multicam edit and meant to select another clip there or whatever and now I can quickly go back and check when I'm all done. I know there are several steps at getting around this little inconvenience, but why not borrow a good idea when you see one from FCP (who is losing many of its former users right now to CS6 since they went in a different direction with FCPX) so that there is no inconvenience AT ALL.

That's why I submitted this feature request. Here's to hoping Adobe listens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I miss the little red arrows in FCP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, that is about the extent of methods to remove the Cuts.

Sorry, that it was not useful.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 27, 2013 Mar 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously Adobe ought to copy FCP on this one. How long will we have to wait?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2013 Mar 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some FCP users have suggested the "Heal Function."

I am sure that there are some cases, where that would be a worthwhile feature, but if one considers what such a Cut actually is, then some of those desires would possibly fall by the way-side.

Still, I would not be opposed, in any way, to a "Heal." I see no downside, other than the time that Adobe engineers would need to spend of adding it.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2013 Mar 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see no downside, other than the time that Adobe engineers would need to spend of adding it.

Given the current method works just fine, that's not an insignificant downside.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

I see no downside, other than the time that Adobe engineers would need to spend of adding it.

Given the current method works just fine, that's not an insignificant downside.

Disagree. Complacency breeds failure. Fortunately, with all due respect, you're not one of the engineers. Does it work? Well, yeah, sort of in a roundabout way. Can it be better and more efficient...absolutely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Complacency breeds failure.

Leaving that philosophical discussion for another forum, I'm not suggesting complacency.  I'm only arguing in favor or spending limited resources on other things.  If enough folks agree with you, you'll likely get the feature.  If not, we may see something really new show up, instead of just a different way of doing something we can already do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said DMH79!

Complacency breeds failure.

Phil, I just read this thread and I'm astonished at some of the suggestions implied.  Set your number of undo's to 99 (so you can lose 98 edit you wanted just so you can remove an unwanted cut)???  BTW, PP CS6 is limited to 32 undos, so you can't go back 99 steps as suggested.

I suggest you add your voice to the collective scream and send an official Feature Request to Adobe.  I bet they've received hundreds of identical FRs for a 'Join Through-Edit' function from ex-FCP users (that's what it's called in FCP), yet lets keep bugging them until they finally see the light of day that just because frustratingly slow alternatives exist doesn't mean we don't deserve a better tool.  BTW, I suggest you don't nest two pieces of a clip to make it 'whole' again.  That's a very bad suggestion since should you want to trim your nest outwards, you won't be able to do so without the aggravating complication of entering the nest and trimming out your clip there first.  Plus it throws any effects on the clip pieces into the nest, making it a pain to tweak them unless you cut the effects from the clip pieces in the nest and paste them back on the nest itself.  Way too much work to be helpful in many cases. 

Hopefully Apple doesn't have a patent on 'Join Through-Edit' tools that impedes other companies from using the idea.  If that's the case, I guess we'll never see it in Premiere (after all, Apple patents everything, including rounded square icons on a cell phone. )

Now what I really don't understand, is why FCP7 had this fantastic feature, yet Apple seems to have abandoned it in FCPX.  Baffling to say the least!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set your number of undo's to 99

Now THAT would be a worthwhile improvement to PP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.  It would be an improvement indeed.  So would a FCP7-style 'join through-edit'.  Between the two, I'd pick the latter though.  I rarely have the need to undo more than 32 times compared to how often I wish I could remove an unnecessary cut from a clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm kind of curious why former FCP editors make so many mistakes in your cuts that you need to undo them so frequently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not that I make a mistake in the cut, but I may want to try a cut and then change my mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

I'm kind of curious why former FCP editors make so many mistakes in your cuts that you need to undo them so frequently.

In my opionin, there are really only two reasons editors want to remove through edits; to neaten up the Timeline or if they have to export an EDL where through edits are not supported.

A lot of self-trained FCP editors are a bit too happy with the razor blade, using it as their primary way to trim. It's as if the Ripple Trim tool never existed. As a former Apple Certified Trainer, I had to break a lot of bad habits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PierreLouisBeranek wrote:

Agreed.  It would be an improvement indeed.  So would a FCP7-style 'join through-edit'. 

Me too. Create a feature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I already did a while back.  Question: Is posting the same FR more than once helpful?

Jim, implying that former FCP editors 'make so many mistakes' is ridiculous.  As John pointed out, it's more often than not a change of mind with an edit, not a mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PierreLouisBeranek wrote:

Hi Kevin,

I already did a while back.  Question: Is posting the same FR more than once helpful?

Jim, implying that former FCP editors 'make so many mistakes' is ridiculous.  As John pointed out, it's more often than not a change of mind with an edit, not a mistake.

No need to make more than one request. Even though you can do something doesn't mean ya should.

Helping others to jump on the bandwagon is totally fine, though.

There are a million ways to work with FCP. Because it was so popular, a lot of people actually did make a lot of mistakes using it. Without formal training, people had a tendency to stay with what worked for them, taking several steps when only 2 were necessary. Things like that. As a major contributor to that community over the years, this I can attest to. That said, I've seen some pretty killer FCP editors chop edits together like nobody's business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines