Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Batch export of multiple clips from one video in Premiere CS4

Dec 1, 2008 4:22 PM

Hello,

I'm really in a bind and hope you guys can help me out. I have about 30 hours of video in about 30 mpg files..1 hour in each video. I need to splice out small clips from each video..anywhere from 10 to 20 clips in each and send them to Media Encoder to store as video files I can then re-use. In CS3 I can do this manually one clip at a time ..set In point, Out point and then export. This however takes a very very long time....set the ins/outs, then export, then wait, then repeat..very tedious

In CS4 can i set multiple ins/outs for the entire video and then have premiere go to work and do a batch export? Or is there another way of doing this? I have about a week left to get this done and at a total of about 450 clips to export each 2-5 mins for encoding this will take forever...plase help!

Stan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 1, 2008 4:58 PM   in reply to (staska)
    Are you sure you need to export all these clips as standalone clips.?

You are already in a compressed lossy format (mpg)

You could consider - making sub clips.

Now that CS4 can open different settings for each timeline in a Project. This may be a more viable and quicker workflow for you.

BTW - I do not think that you can Batch Encode from multiple IN /Outs on a timeline.

You could use 'Duplicate" function in the Media Encoder and set IN and Out points on each one there. This will be time consuming but at least it will batch encode.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2008 5:03 PM   in reply to (staska)
    It wont do exazctly what you want but.... But the batch encoding should save you some time since you can continue to work while it encodes/exports.

Do you need to make more than one output type? Like DV, WMV, FLV... for each one? If so, I suggest this workflow:

1. Open source file 1 in Source monitor set in and out, ctrl drag subclip to a folder in the project panel.

2. Repeat step 1 for any other subclips needed from source clip 1

3. When done with first source clip go into bin where you put your subclips click on them one at a time and do export/media to your lowest compressed need (like DV AVI for example); it will be added to AME queue

4. Repeat step 3 for all subclips, then click start queue.

5. While AME is exporting all the subclips for your first source clip, repeat steps 1-3 on source clip 2...

When you are all done; if you need to make multiple output types for each file; Do (IN AME) File>New>Watch Folder

Create a Watch folder for each output type you want. Then simply copy all the exported clips you want inot each of these folders and AME will process them all for you in batch.

It doesnt do exactly what you wished for; but should save you a few buckets of time.

Curt Wrigley

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2008 10:28 AM   in reply to (staska)
    staska,

Load your master clip into the Source Monitor. Use the JKL keys to advance/pause/rewind the master clip. Use the I key to set an in point and the O key (the "oh" key, not the zero key) to set an out point.

I assigned a custom keyboard shortcut, Shift+S, to the Clip>Make Subclip menu command, so that Shift+S pops open a dialog box that lets me name the subclip.

When the subclip is named, focus shifts to the Project panel. Shift+2 returns focus to the Source Monitor, where JKL/IO starts again.

You will fly through your subclipping task.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2008 12:12 PM   in reply to (staska)
    Interesting

I never new you could export to AME from the Project Panel.

That will be handy.

My wish is that in AME one could toggle on or off the fle(s) to be rendered at the time. eg In a batch if one wanted to test one file only before encoding the rest.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2008 1:12 AM   in reply to (staska)
    I have a similar issue and was hoping for a solution if you link the clips. I'm a student filmmaker and am using Premiere Pro CS4 to edit my flick. I shot using a double system and have to link up my Video to my Audio. I found an easy way to do this with subclips, markers, linking, etc...but want each linked clip to be a seperate AVI so I can have easy access to them from the Project panel (with search). Is there a quick way to batch encode multiple linked clips from a timeline without having to place each individual clip onto a seperate sequence?

Is there a way to batch encode at all from Premiere? Is there a way to run scripts in Premiere like AE that will do this for me?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2008 8:39 PM   in reply to (staska)
    > but want each linked clip to be a seperate AVI so I can have easy access to them from the Project panel (with search).

That is what subclips give you. Why do you want to create individual avis?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2009 3:00 PM   in reply to (staska)

If anybody can tell me a way to speed up the process of individually selecting each clip to make it a subclip, or any way to export a GROUP of subclips instead of each one individually, that would be great to know. It stands to reason that batch export means batch, not one by one, but what else is new.

At least AME does the batch processing once you're in it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2009 4:30 PM   in reply to Antinet

At least AME does the batch processing once you're in it.

That's the only "batch" part of the process.  Adding to AME is one at a time.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)