Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 4.0 - Lockup (Not Responding) --- Vista

Dec 4, 2007 10:01 PM

Hi,
I recently downloaded the trial version of PE4 to test it out. Every time I run the application I can open a project or create and new on and get to the main menu. From there I click just about any button the program goes not responding. If I try to click the button to import clips it freezes, add a template it freeze, go the edit preferences it freezes. I've reinstalled and repaired a number of time with no luck. Ive even set it to run in compatibility mode as XP sp2. I've got all the latest updates from Microsoft and Nvidia for my graphics card. System specs are below. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Vista
Core 2 Duo 6400
Geforce 6800
2gb ram

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2007 6:48 AM   in reply to (Matt_Griff)
    First, can you confirm you're not using the 64-bit version of Vista? If so, you'll need to run the program in 32-bit compatibility mode.

And be sure turn off some of that bloatware in Vista -- particularly the Aero interface. Otherwise, it's like running on half power.
    http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc448a7

Then uninstall (removing preferences) and reinstall your program. Sometimes, for some reason, it just doesn't take the first time.

Then, update your firmware! Even if you just bought your computer yesterday, the drivers and firmware are likely obsolete (new ones are being released at least once a month), and Windows Update won't update them automatically. This is the chief cause of the issues you're experiencing.
    http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c057647

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2007 9:23 PM   in reply to (Matt_Griff)
    Matt, as Grisetti pointed out above try delecting the preferences and the plug-in cache once...
    Also let us know what other softwares are installed... Possibly they might be running some processes which are causing the PE application to freeze...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2007 6:45 PM   in reply to (Matt_Griff)
    Griff.. stop trying.. I tried for over a month and the bottom line is this.. Vista does not work with Premier 4.o period. Ask anyone of the 48 on Amazon how it works with vista. Dont waste your time. Buy an old copy of 3.0 and download the vista update for it. It works ok. Adobe will refund you for the 4.0 They should just admit it does not work instead of trying to blame quicktime or areo or anything else tech support claims..

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2007 1:31 AM   in reply to (Matt_Griff)
    I have been using Premiere for 10 years. Upgraded everytime.
    4.0 is like 1.0 buggy, slow, freezes up. In general a serious waist of time.
    Adobe should have been able to get this product to work faster. ALL of the alternative video editing apps ARE Aero compatible. Come on Adobe get working and give us 4.0 buyers a worthwhile update.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2007 9:43 AM   in reply to (Matt_Griff)
    While I will admit that PE4 isn't perfect - I do not like some of the changes from version 3, I have had good success so far with it. I had problems early on that in fact turned out to be with my old PC that I have since replaced. In the past month, I have created nine (9) different projects ranging from 30-90 minutes in length.

I'm not a power user like Steve and Robert (my heros), I use most of the common functions of the program such as titles, transitions, audio and video effects and (contrary to some recommendations) I DO use PE both to directly import the video through firewire and burn the DVDs. Not one coaster out of over 200 burned in these nine projects and performance has been just fine. I use a right-out-of-the-box HP Media Center PC. No driver or firmware upgrades needed so far, or at least none that MS Update didn't do for me.

Perhaps my experience isn't typical but wholesale statement such as "Vista doesn't work with PE4" are untrue. I did turn off Aero because I have come to trust Steve's advice. And I don't hate Vista nearly as much as I expected I would :)

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2008 7:01 AM   in reply to (Matt_Griff)
    I just purchased and installed 4.0 on a Vista machine and getting the same result... program just freezes and is basically unusable. I could open an empty project and start adding files but that's all I could do.

I had an older version (2.0) so decided to install and try it out and so far it's working with no problems... so I'm awaiting my response to see when an update will be available to fix 4.0 Vista issues... that response will determine whether I ask for a refund.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2008 7:18 AM   in reply to (Matt_Griff)
    If that's the dealbreaker, you might as well grab your receipt and head back to the store, Joey.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2008 9:54 AM   in reply to (Matt_Griff)
    I just bought Premiere Element 4.o, Install on a computer rumming XP home with SP2 ALL the drivers are uptodate but I have same problem the PRGAM IS NOT RESPONDING after I create anew project, NOTHING WORKS
    I try to delete preferences , Uninstall and Re-install several times always same results
    Is there One person who was able to have Premire element working on XP Home
    Please explain How
    What si the solution, upgrade to an other version?
    Thanks
    Francois

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2008 10:29 AM   in reply to (Matt_Griff)
    You say you gave updated your drivers... but make sure you have updated your audio drivers.
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2008 3:24 PM   in reply to (Matt_Griff)
    You can also contact Adobe Tech Support. If things get too complicated (as they seem to be for you) we just can't solve it on the forum.
    http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbe7d56

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)