Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

HELP, ALL MY PROJECTS  ARE SHOWING MEDIA OFFLINE

Jul 19, 2008 8:50 AM

Please someone help!!!!!!! First of all, I am new to this video editing so please use basic user friendly terms so I can understand what you're talking about. OK, now my problem. Today, when I opened up my PE4, all my projects are showing as MEDIA OFF-LINE, so I can't view any of them. The Media Off-line is showing on every single clip in all the projects.
I checked with the help guide which said, I need to go to Edit-Media-Project and double click on the offline icon and change it to online. First of all, it didn't work, cause when I double click on it, nothing happened and then I can't imagine that I would have to go to every single picture/movie clip on every single project and have to change it from off line to on line. There has to be some easier way. Does any of you wise people there know how I can fix this issue.

Please help, and Thank you in advance,

Joanna

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 19, 2008 9:23 AM   in reply to (Joanna_Welo)
    Could your media be on an external Drive? Is the drive powered on? Has the drive letter changed from the original?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2008 3:28 PM   in reply to (Joanna_Welo)
    Are you saying you did nothing to move or rename the clips or where they are located? (And that they weren't on a DVD or something.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2008 7:18 AM   in reply to (Joanna_Welo)
    Ouch!

You might want to call Adobe Tech Support. There's something very unusual going on on your system.
    http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbe7d56

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2008 3:43 AM   in reply to (Joanna_Welo)
    I have a similar problem but I'm sure it is related to a drive change but still need to know if there is a simple way to fix it. All my Premiere Elements files were on an external drive. My hard drive had to be replaced and because of the new configuration, I'm not able to assign my external drive the same letter it had before the hard drive crashed. Is there a way to globally change something in Premiere so that it will recognize the files and clips in all my projects and not give me the "media offline" red screen?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2008 5:06 AM   in reply to (Joanna_Welo)
    This isn't really related to the thread, Brian, but all you have to do is start up the project and, when Premiere Elements asks to locate the missing files, browse to where they are. If they're all in the same place, it will relink to all of the media files.

The challenge is that some external drives have a different drive letter each time you plug them in so, depending on how your system reads your drive every time you re-connect it, you may have to repeat this every time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2008 5:56 AM   in reply to (Joanna_Welo)
    BRIAN-I HAD THE IDENTICAL ISSUE WITH MINE. I CALLED ADOBE AND THEY WOULD NOT HELP-SAID MY SOFT WARE WAS TOO OLD. EVERY TIME THEY UPGRADE ADOBE, THEY DO NOT HELP WITH THE PREVIOUS ONE...UNLESS I PAID A HEFTY FEE AND EVEN THEN IT MAY NOT BE RESOLVED.
    MY RED SCREENS LOOKED LIKE SOME KIND OF CHINESE WRITING.
    THE RED SCREEN SHOWED WHEREVER THERE WAS A "MOVIE CLIP" THE STILL PICTURES SHOWED UP OK.
    I HAD TO TRANSFER ALL MY VIDEOS TO AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE BECAUSE MY SYSTEM HAD ISSUES AND DELL MADE ME GO BACK TO FACTORY DEFAULT. I HAVE MONTHSWORTH OF WORK SITTING THERE AND CANNOT RETRIEVE IT. DID YOU FIGURE IT OUT YET?
    THANKS
    PAT

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2008 6:07 AM   in reply to (Joanna_Welo)
    Should work the same way for you as it will for Joanna, as I described above.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2009 3:38 AM   in reply to (Joanna_Welo)
    Same problem here - but it's only .mpg and .wmv files. Sound files and the .avi's I've already uploaded and worked with are fine. I can locate media as before but it fails to recognise saying 'file type is unsupported or required codec has not been installed'.

Seems to have happened since I installed Adobe photoshop and rebooted the PC.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2009 4:29 AM   in reply to (Joanna_Welo)
    What - just fixed it. Reinstalled Premiere Elements - mpg's all recognised now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2009 8:05 AM   in reply to (Joanna_Welo)
    Phantz,

Some program probably overwrote the MPEG CODEC in PE, or changed its priority. This is a common problem, as some programs seem to go rogue and just start overwriting or grabbing installed CODECs. By doing the reinstall of PE, it wrote its CODECs and set their priority back to where it wanted them. I almost always check all of my Adobe programs, after any other software installations, as this is a common occurance.

Glad you got it sorted.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2009 10:00 AM   in reply to (Joanna_Welo)
    Found this forum in a search as I am having similar problems. I had Photoshop Elements 6 and Premiere Elements 4 on my computer. I installed Photoshop Elements and Premiere 7 on my computer. When I went to Elements 4 to makes some extra copies of some slideshows I had made in Premiere 4, some slideshows are fine, others have small red squares that say "media offline." I am a total newbie to video editing, so I don't understand a lot of what is written. I did try the help and went to the Tasks panel, Edit, Media, Project, selected an offline file, chose edit, chose Locate Media, and then I got lost. I have no idea how to locate the media in the pop up box. I don't see a choice in the box that makes any sense to me. Any suggestions for a true amateur?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2009 11:37 AM   in reply to (Joanna_Welo)
    As we said to Joanna a dozen postings back, it helps to know what these media files are and where they are -- particularly if they're on an externally connected hard drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2009 12:11 PM   in reply to (Joanna_Welo)
    The slideshow was made up from my digital camera photos that are in Photoshop Elements. I only have an internal harddrive.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2009 1:02 PM   in reply to (Joanna_Welo)
    So where are your photos located on your hard drive? In what folder?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2009 1:37 PM   in reply to (Joanna_Welo)
    They are in the "my pictures" folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2009 1:51 PM   in reply to (Joanna_Welo)
    Mary,

Carefully check that the file names are exactly the same, as they are in your Project, and that they have not been changed. That would be the first thing to look at, as the Project file (.PREL) is just an XML file, that lists all of the links.

Something else that you can do, is find the latest AutoSave Project, and then Move the stills to a separate folder - just create a new one in your My Pictures folder. Open the latest version of the AutoSave and when it tells you that it cannot find your Assets, point it to the new folder. It *should* then find them all.

If you Opened your Project, and it said that it could not find the Assets, then chose Offline All, and did a Save, your only course (other than the AutoSave) would be to manually relink all of your Assets.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 10:24 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I have a similar problem

I have cut 4 hours of video (mixed avi, mpg, vob from different cameras) and stil pics l(jpeg) into one movie a little over one hour long, added transitions etc and was nearly to the stage of adding a music background

after spending hours on this movie I've just about finished with video editing when for no apparrent reason

Half of my movie shows on the sceneline as  'Media Offline'  (red screen written in various languages)

This happened while i was editing. I haven't changed anything. Movie is stored in C Drive on computer

All my original movie clips seem to still be in the Project & Organizer View panels

I dragged one from the Project View panel, over the corresponding 'Media Offline' panel in the sceneline and 

it inserted it into the movie and brought back the original clip so now it is doubled up ! ???   (the 'Media Offline" clip shows clip title and plays for same length of time)

Bugger !  While I've been typing this question a couple of the 'Media Offline' squares have gone back to showing movie clips in the sceneline

Graham

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 10:37 PM   in reply to 1958surferboy

and

I've just noticed 

the sound plays while 'Media Offline ' clip is playing

some start as 'Media Offline and change to the movie clip part way through playing

some avi, mpeg,vob files are OK some show as 'Media Offline

there doesn't seem to be any consistency with anything thats happening

??????????

Graham

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2013 9:21 AM   in reply to 1958surferboy

Graham,

It sounds like PrE is loosing contact with the HDD, where the media is stored and linked. That can happen with a failing HDD, a failing controller chip, active-scan, real-time anti-virus, anti-malware, or anti-anything, which seizes all files and surveys them (media files are large, so this can take some time) them, before allowing the OS, or the program access to them. I would investigate those possibilities. A failing HDD is a biggie, if happening. A controller chip, if built into the MoBo (most will be), is a biggie too. The anti-whatever programs should be turned OFF, when editing.

Those are the first possibilities that come to my mind, but there could be other causes too. If you were accessing media from an external, then the cable would be suspect, in additon to those possibilities.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 10:13 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Result....

It all got to hard !

Everything I'm using is more than 5 years old

Seems my Panasonic DV camera is to old and I'm using a dinosaur version of Premiere Elements on a computer that can't cope with the workload

Best solution seems to be to chuck the whole lot in the bin and go out and purchase all new stuff !

So I purchased a new computer and had PE 11 installed

Computer shop couldn't figure out the problem but managed to move my video from old computer to the new one so I managed to finish my video

Then

plugged in the "old" camera to work on a new movie

and

It doesn't work

So I'm off now to watch my 1960s super 8 movies instead

I would go watch my 1950s black and white TV but they've just changed everything to digital and i can't enjoy that anymore

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 10:17 PM   in reply to 1958surferboy

Depending on the OS on the new computer, it could be that the driver for the IEEE-1394a (iLink/FireWire-400) is not working, as it should. In your System>Hardware>Device Manager, check the IEEE-1394a driver, and if not set to "Legacy," do so. Reboot, and then test your camera.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)