Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to sort photos by date taken?

Mar 19, 2009 2:43 PM

I used Picasa to modify certain aspects of some photos (contrast, etc.). I did this at different times, however, so when I load the photos into Premiere Elements, the photos are sorted in order of their date/time of modification, rather than date/time that the photos were taken.

The date/time that the photos were taken is still saved in the EXIF data, but surprisingly, you can't sort the photos that way with Premiere Elements.

I have tried looking for a third-party utility to re-date the photos according to when they were taken, but I have found nothing.

Can anyone please help?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 19, 2009 5:16 PM   in reply to (m_j_r)
    In Windows Explorer, right click the file and in Properties-Customize Tab, make sure the file type is either Pictures, or Picture Album, click View, Arrange Icons By, Date Picture Taken.

http://www.freewebs.com/pe3help

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2009 5:19 PM   in reply to (m_j_r)
    what version of Premiere Elements are you running?
    what version of Picasa are you running?

Are you intending to use the Create a Slideshow in Premiere Elements whee you want the photos placed in the date/time sequence?

There may be multiple ways to do what you want. Potentially the Organize function (PE 7) may be able to do this if in fact there is no way to sort the Project Media entities in the photo date/taken sequence.

Do you also have Photoshop Elements? Since you use Picasa I realize that you may not have Photoshop Elements: however if you do that will make a difference in discussing potential workflows.

However we may need to do some experimentation together once you answer the questions above.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2009 5:36 PM   in reply to (m_j_r)
    mjr

Understand that you do not have Photoshop Elements.

more questions -
    is it your intent to use the Create Slideshow function where Premiere Elements places the photos in to the slideshow in date taken sequence?

Are these photos from a digital camera or are they scanned photo files or some other source?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2009 5:50 PM   in reply to (m_j_r)
    note _ I am editing this post because our posts crossed

FYI - The Organizer panel does allow you to display Oldest First, which should give you chronological order according to Date/Time Photo taken.

Therefore,
    -- under the Organize Tab, selecting the first in chron seqeunce holding down Shift and selecting the last in chron sequence l (presuming that what you want is contiguous) and
    -- then doing the "Create Slideshow" function from the Edit tab (choosing Selection Order) seems like potentially it will give you what you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2009 6:26 PM   in reply to (m_j_r)
    m j r

I hope that you are still reading this thread - since you mentioned that you are using photos, I want to ask if you are aware that photo files should be downrezed (have their pixel resolution decreased) BEFORE they are used in Premiere Elements?

For example, approximately 1000 x 750 pixels is considered a good resolution if your output from Premiere Elements will be a Standard Definition Full Screen DVD and you will be applying limited pan and zoom to your photos.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2009 5:27 PM   in reply to (m_j_r)
    >I didn't downrez the photos, but they look pretty good in the slideshow.

Whether you have problems when you do not downrez the photos can be dependent on what their resolution is, how many photos and what the resources are on your machine at that time. Available disk space is one factor, but I doubt that it is the only consideration.

It is good news that your current result is OK - just be aware that in the future you could experience problems with many high resolution photo files.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)