Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Reader for Windows Mobile 5

Jan 16, 2007 10:02 AM

When trying to install i keep getting a message on my phone that it cannot install because it is not digitally signed. HELP?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 17, 2007 8:38 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    Exactly what device (make/model) are you trying to install on?

The "digitally signed" sounds like it might be a smartphone rather than pocketpc-phoneedition (no stylus) and, if that is the case, there is no adobe reader for that platform.

If it is a ppc-pe, you will have to get the device "unlocked" before you can do anything.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2007 5:08 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    I have an HP IPAQ 6945 which is a Windows Mobile Version 5 smart phone. Are you saying that there is no Adobe product I can download to read PDF files?

Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2007 7:59 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    >>> Are you saying that there is no Adobe product I can download to read PDF files? <<

While there is no adobe reader for "smartphones" your device is a pocketpc-phone_edition and ppc acrobat should load and run on it unless the phone vendor has locked it so that "unsigned" applications will not be allowed to load. It may also have screen format issues due to the non standard screen size of that device.

You might also check your programs folder as well as the companion cd as there might have been another reader bundled with it.

Suggest you repost at news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.pocketpc or news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition ...if you don't do nntp then http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.pocketpc?hl=en

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2007 5:19 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    I have installed rdrppc20 on my iPAQ hw6915 with windows mobile 5 but i don't read the file pdf. HELP

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2007 6:01 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    Hi I have a Dell Axim X51V PDA running Windows Mobile version 5

Having the same problem as above in that every acrobat version I download is not a valid pocket PC application

Is there a version of reader that will work with Windows mobile 5 and how do I get it

Cheers

Philip

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2007 8:16 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    >>> not a valid pocket PC application <<

That message normally means you are attempting to run the installation on the pocketpc itself.

Almost all ppc installations must be run on the sync computer and activesync then installs the ppc application to the device during the next sync connection.

see http://BevHoward.com/bhhpj.htm#Cabs for details

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2007 5:51 PM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    I have an IPAQ 6955 Pocket PC that runds Windows Mobile 5.0. Adobe has a reader for the pocket pc that requires Windows 2003. Will this work with Windows Moble 5.0?
    Thanks,
    MF

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2007 8:37 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    I have a HP iPAQ rx4200 with windows mobile 5 (chinese version). I cannot download the Reader. Which version of the Reader should I get? Help!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2007 7:39 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    Thanks Beverly,

Executing the install from my PC, with my IPAQ 6955 in the cradle, worked perfectly. I just had to answer the prompt on my IPAQ to authorize the install.

Thanks again,
    Kurtis

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2007 8:34 PM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    with the new manuals for CS3, I'd love to have them on my PPC (Cingular 8125; Moblie 2005 on the phone). I have a 2GB SmartCard in the phone, and that's where I'd put at least the manuals. Does anyone know if I can install to the Card and have it work, and will I be able to read books I place on the card even if it turns out I have to install Reader on the phone proper?

Thanks!

Keith

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2007 7:02 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    >>> I'd love to have them on my PPC (Cingular 8125; Moblie 2005 on the phone). I have a 2GB SmartCard in the phone, and that's where I'd put at least the manuals. <<

The pdf content can always be placed on the storage card... not sure about protected ebook contents since I don't do drm.

>> Does anyone know if I can install to the Card and have it work, and will I be able to read books I place on the card even if it turns out I have to install Reader on the phone proper? <<

I have had no problems installing reader on the card... see http://BevHoward.com/bhhpj.htm#Cabs for more information including cabinstal for some tips...

...of course, ppc reader is the exception... it needs to be installed via activesync since a "tagger" is installed on the pc which will _attempt_ to tag untagged pdf files.

However, you can run the pc install with the ppc disconnect, then search and find the cab file on the pc, manually copy it to the ppc and use cabinstal to put it where you want it.

Finally, the tagger only tags the files synced to the ppc (the originals are not modified) so, if you use the tagger, sync, then copy the tagged files to the memory card after the sync.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2007 1:28 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    have an LOOX N560 that runds Windows Mobile 5.0. Adobe has a reader for the pocket pc that requires Windows 2003. Will this work with Windows Moble 5.0?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2007 8:45 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    Apologies to Beverly for such a delayed response:

Thank you! It seems to be working, though...the particular documents (CS3 documentation) just doesn't seem to lend itself to easy reading (type to small when fit to screen, too much scrolling when page viewed at larger size).

Piotr, I THINK you and I are in similar situations with OS for PC and Mobile Device, and if so, the answer is yes. Though, I don't know what Windows 2003 is...XP? I'm using Vista now, so please take this "yes" guardedly. :-)

Keith

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2007 1:22 PM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    >>> (type to small when fit to screen, too much scrolling when page viewed at larger size <<

While there are several reasons for this, the most common is the absence of "accessibility tags" in the pdf. When these are installed in the text portions of a pdf, you can tap/hold and select "reflow" which allows the text to wrap or flow into the available screen.

If you have "full acrobat" on the pc, select advanced/accessibility/makeaccessible to add the tags if the document security settings allow it.

The sync process "trys" to add tags to pdf's when you sync, but there are more reasons for it to fail than succeed.

If the document is "scanned to pdf" or fax to pdf etc, it exists as a picture of text rather than selectable/editable text, so, there is no way to make it reflow.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2007 3:37 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    Thanks, Beverly! I'll try that. In fact, I was looking up something else this weekend and I stumbled on mention of what you say here, so I'll grab the documents and see if I can make accessible. The CS3 documentation is from Adobe, so it might already be tagged, but maybe not? Maybe they never thought anyone would want to do that. I'll give it a whirl!

Have a great week!!

Keith

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2007 3:20 PM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    I have the same problem on my hp ipaq 5700. Just 1 question, where can I see, what version of windows I have on my pocket pc?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2007 4:13 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    For my device, I click on the "Start" dropdown menu, and click on "Settings" near the bottom. In the window that opens, I click on the "About" icon.

Hope that helps.

Keith

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2007 10:10 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    Hi,
    I have a HP2495b iPAQ with Windows Mobile 5.0 (OS 5.1.1702) and have tried to download and install Adobe Reader 2.0. It downloads fine but when I try ti install I get a message.....'SdbeRdr20_ppc_enu' is not a valid Pocket PC application....
    Please help
    Ed

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2007 1:29 PM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    Wow...no idea. I'm sorry I don't even have a suggestion. Good luck, and if you find an answer, please share it here! :-)

Keith

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2007 7:51 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    Pocket PC applications are not installed on the device... the installation process is to run the install on the sync pc, then the activesync process installs the application on the pocketpc.

See http://BevHoward.com/bhhpj.htm#Cabs for more details and options.

Hope this Helps.
    Beverly Howard

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2007 12:04 PM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    Thank you very much for the help...I will try it.
    Ed

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2007 1:37 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    I have Ipaq 2755 installed with window CE 4.21
    I installed Adobe Reader 2. I transferred file to the Ipaq and it can not be opened on the Ipaq. Please help to lustig@bezeqint.net

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2007 1:42 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    I have Ipaq 2755 installed with windows CE 4.21. I installed Abobe reader 2 to the Ipaq. I transferred file but it can not be read; I keep on having error message. Please help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2007 3:28 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    I'm not sure I'll be able to help, but you should include the error message; that might point the way towards a solution.

Keith

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2007 6:36 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    while installing the S/W it said that the S/W might be of an older version of windows, however it works properly when opening the user manual on the Ipaq, when trying to access a file it gives the message that the files either not a supported file or the file is corrupted.
    could U tell me whether the the adobe reader 2 is supported by windows CE 4.21

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2007 8:08 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    Wow. I'm sorry. I'm not sure. If you look back to message 14 from Beverly Howard, that might be part of your problem. Beyond that, I'm clueless. Sorry! Hopefully someone else will know! Please share the fix with us if you get one.

Keith

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2007 8:54 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    >>> on my phone <<

Everyone should know that it's essential that you post, at a minimum, the exact make and model# of the phone and the os version... the first two are on the back of the phone or under the battery and the latter is (for windows mobile) under start/settings/system/about

>>> because it is not digitally signed <<

That sounds like it's a phone that has had software installations restricted by the vendor, plus it increases the possibility that it's a "smartphone" rather than a "pocketpc-phoneedition" and there is no adobe product for the smartphones.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2007 1:27 PM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    Hello Beverly,

I just installed Adobe Reader 2.0 for PPC on my ASUS MyPal A636N.
    Running Windows Mobile 5.0 (Build 14928.2.2.0). But evertime i want to use the reader i just get an error message.

Error message: (Translation, I use the German version)

We are sorry. There was some Problem with AcroRd32.exe.
    Would you like to send the error report ?

Is there an update or patch available ?

Greetings
    Frank

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2007 6:01 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    First, what is the available memory before you start the app start/settings/system/memory (report all values)

Next, turn off error reporting... it doesn't work and causes it's own problems

You might try completely uninstalling including finding and removing the adobe directories, then reinstall

Finally, if that does not work, try uninstalling and installing version 1... think cnet has it... google time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2007 8:57 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    I'm trying to read a pdf user manual for my camera on my Dell Axim X51V, to save having to haul the manual around during a forthcoming expedition, however although it runs fine on the PC, on the Axim it opens with a bold COPY diagonally across the pages so they cannot be read. Why is this anyone?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2007 6:42 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    >>> I'm trying to read a pdf user manual for my camera <<

Probably a Canon...

Canon has _extensive_ document protection in all of it's camera manuals and those pdf's are not readable using adobe's ppc reader... which uses the "print output" to generate the document on the ppc, so, the "copy" watermark is on top and not transparent, so the document is inaccessible.

Many requests have been made to canon to address this problem with not only no results but with zero response from canon... something to consider when thinking about buying their products. (I do)

If a document is not readable on the ppc, normally the only way to address the need is to get the document generator to revise the pdf.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2007 9:42 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    You're right Beverly! Canon it is. Ah well, saves me trying. I'll have to try and print from the PC version (can't seem to get the size right).

Thanks for replying, David

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2007 6:35 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    I installed Reader on my HP 5910 (Mobile 5 device) via my sync computer. The program opens the initialization screen and then closes itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2007 10:59 PM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    Hi

I have 3 PPC HP iPAQ rx 3700, HP iPAQ rx 1950, HP iPAQ rz 1710 [windows mobile 5]. Please let me know if I can install Adobe reader on any of them and from where I will get build for same.

Thanks
    GS-India

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2007 8:27 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    Good Afternoon,

I have a Ipaq HX2795B and a HX2490B both w/windows mobile 5, and would like to know if there's a stable pdf reader out there.

thanks for your help,
    everett-in-tampa

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 27, 2007 11:03 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    I have a MotoQ. It is a windows mobile 5 smartphone. I know Adobe did not create a reader for this platform yet, but I was wondering if there was a suggested application that I can install.

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2008 3:56 PM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    I have O2 XDA Zinc with Windows Mobile 5. I have installed Adobe Reader for Pocket PC 2.0
    When I open it, I can read pdf files stored on main memory and not from the storage card. When I try to open the pdf file directly from File Explorer, it gets open with its ClearVue PDF, the default pdf opener came with OEM.
    I downloaded and installed PocketTweak from http://tillanosoft.com/ce/ptweak.html and changed the file association of pdf file to Adobe Reader for Pocket PC 2.0 which I have installed over storage card. It shows that I has got associated properly, but still when I open it from File Explorer, it gets open with ClearVue PDF. There is no listing of ClearVue PDF in Remove Programs from where I could have uninstall it from mobile. Kindly help.

Regards
    Anil

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2008 7:22 PM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    There could be more entries in the registry that are pointing to ClearVue that PocketTweak does not change. You could try using a different software to change the File Association.

======================================
    Julie, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2008 8:26 AM   in reply to (Charles_Spooner)
    >>> I can read pdf files stored on main memory and not from the storage card. <<

In addition to Julie's suggestion trying another utility to set the file association, go back into pockettweak and confirm the association and that it points to the exe and not the shortcut.

Finally, the exe part of the path should read;

AcroRd32.exe, -2

>>> storage card <<

WM5 and above really screwed up the My Documents rules on the storage card and I am not sure where things stand with the different os versions.

The last time I looked at this, with WM5+, there;

should not be a My Documents folder on the storage card

"compliant" apps (such as reader) will only see their associated files which are located in the storage card root or the folders directly off of the root... files in folders more than one level off of the root will not be visible to any apps which traditionally accessed only My Documents contents... see;

<http://BevHoward.com/bhhpj.htm#Docs>

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)