Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't print: "Before you can perform print-related tasks such as page setup or printing a document,

Jan 15, 2008 7:47 AM

Hello,

I have searched these forums but have not found a solution to my problem.

I recently purchased an IOGear USB Print Server (print server only, not USB device server). I was having issues installing and followed a Microsoft support document to try and resolve the issue. It had me remove some entries from the registry.

Hours later, I was able to get the printer installed and working, but I do not know if it was a result of the registry tweak. But now that it has been installed, I cannot get anything to print from Acrobat Reader (I have tried 7.0 and 8.1.1). I get the following error message:

"Before you can perform print-related tasks such as page setup or printing a document, you need to install a printer."

Is there something I should check in the registry to make sure that it will work? I do know for sure that it was working when it was just the printer and drivers installed, it only happened after running the print server setup. I have already tried removing the printers and drivers from the system.

Thanks,

Braden

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 15, 2008 8:24 AM   in reply to (Braden_Bartlett)
    I recently downloaded Adobe 8.1. When I try to print a PDF, after I select print, I get an "Output File" window pop up with a blank space to type file name. I have never had this before. I try to type a file name and it still does not print.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2008 9:14 AM   in reply to (Braden_Bartlett)
    Chris.

Deselect "Print to File" in the print menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2008 7:56 AM   in reply to (Braden_Bartlett)
    Make a different printer the default Windows printer and try again.
    Something to do with either driver or a registry error when installing and default printer is set.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2008 4:08 PM   in reply to (Braden_Bartlett)
    I had a similar problem on my home premium vista desk top - system restore did the trick
    Cyprien

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2008 12:03 PM   in reply to (Braden_Bartlett)
    We were having the same problem.
    Opened up My Computer.
    Tools - Folder Options.
    Click on File Types Tab.
    Make sure PDF is set to open with Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2008 8:25 PM   in reply to (Braden_Bartlett)
    I had the same message--"Before you perform print-related tasks such as page setup or printing a document, you need to install a printer" --with Adobe Professional 7. Occurred after i had unistalled some long-unused programs, such as Zinio reader. Every other program printed very well. I thought the uninstall was the problem.
    But after trolling around on the Internet, I got the idea of checking to see how my printer driver was installed.
    I went to "start" then "printers and faxes." There was my HP 2300, wiht a check mark next to it, but when I clicked on "prperties," it said "printer not installed."
    So I reinstalled it.
    End of problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2008 7:44 AM   in reply to (Braden_Bartlett)
    I started getting the same print error message after I upgraded my Windows XP OS to service pack 3. The only way to print from adobe was to uninstall the service pack.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2008 7:28 PM   in reply to (Braden_Bartlett)
    I had the same problem. It turns out that my default printer doesn't exist on the network I happened to be on. Changing the default printer to one that does exist on that network solved the problem.

None of the other applications I have is as finicky regarding this issue. None of them care what the default printer is as long as I select a legitimate one in the print dialog box. Acrobat won't even let me get to the dialog box unless I make the change described above.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2008 10:28 AM   in reply to (Braden_Bartlett)
    I received the message after uninstalling a Bluebeam PDF printer, used by an old application, from my printer list. After finding this forum thread I reinstalled my default HP laser jet printer and all was good... Until I set another printer to default and I received the message again. I reinstalled that other printer also and all is well again...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2008 6:12 PM   in reply to (Braden_Bartlett)
    I was having the same problem. I did have several windows / tabs open in IE as well as a couple of other programs open. After closing some windows, printing worked with no problem. I am guessing that Acrobat didn't have enough memory. Print setup showed the printer. Only Print wouldn't work. Windows Vista SP1.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2008 9:24 PM   in reply to (Braden_Bartlett)
    BEFORE YOU CAN PERFORM PRINT-RELATED TASK SUCH AS PAGE DETUP OR PRINTING A DOCUMENT, YOU NEED TO INSTALL A PRINTER

this is my complaint

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2008 7:10 AM   in reply to (Braden_Bartlett)
    Same problem. This has apparently solved it for me: I made another printer the default (in this case, Adobe PDF) and then the regular Print dialog box came up in Acrobat, from which I was able to select my printer with no problem.

Now I have reselected my printer as the default and everything seems to be OK.

This is with Acrobat 6.0 and XP SP3.

Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2009 12:31 PM   in reply to (Braden_Bartlett)
    Changing/adding a default printer also fixed the "Before you can perform print-related tasks" problem for me, too. (Interestingly, an Acrobat update de-selected my default printer to begin with. Possible that Acrobat throws this error if no default printer isn't selected?)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2009 11:54 AM   in reply to (Braden_Bartlett)
    I did not find any of the above solutions worked
    I deleted and recreated the printer and it was able to print.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2009 8:13 AM   in reply to (Braden_Bartlett)
    I have a problem similar to those posted here, with one difference. With my printers newly installed, regardless of which one is selected as the default, when I try to print from Adobe Reader I receive the error message we're talking about : "Before you can perform a print related task...."

Here's the fun part.

If I click OK on the message, ALL MY PRINTERS GET DELETED and, I get the windows message that "Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs to close"! If instead of clicking OK I switch to Task Manager and end Adobe, I'm fine and can print from other programs.

I can "reset" the problem by deleting the files in C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers and C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86, restarting the machine, and deleting then reinstalling the printers (which show up again after the restart).

BUT, if I try to print from Adobe Reader again, I get the same cycle of problems.

I am running Windows Vista and Adobe Reader 8.1

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2009 10:01 AM   in reply to (Braden_Bartlett)
    Here's how I "fixed" the problem:

I uninstalled Adobe 8.1, uninstalled/deleted all the printers, then deleted the files in the two directories mentioned above.

Restarted the computer.

Then, I did a clean install of the most updated printer driver from the manufacturer website.

Finally I installed Adobe 7.0 because I noticed that my other Vista machine was running 7.0.

After taking these steps I am able to print .pdf files

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2009 10:38 AM   in reply to (Braden_Bartlett)
    Select>Select all>Edit Copy
    File>New (just click OK and it will make same size document)
    Edit>Paste

This will create a new file that will print without the error message.
    If you have many layers in the file you can:
    Shift>Ctrl>Alt>E
    All the above keys hold down at once, ant it will create a new top layer that you can go through the same steps listed at start of this post.
    This fixed my problem thanks to Dave at Adobe support.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2009 6:24 AM   in reply to (Braden_Bartlett)
    Every time there is an Adobe update it deletes my printer and I keep having to reinstall it. This is highly irritating. What does Adobe have against printers? For those with issues already posted here, did you have an HP printer or is this problem common to all printers? In this day and age interoperability should be the goal, this is ridiculous.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2009 9:32 AM   in reply to (Braden_Bartlett)
    I think there may a double-bug. With Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (the now publicly accessible RTM escrow version that is expected to be released shortly), Adobe Reader 9.1 breaks the Windows printing subsystem especially when there is an on-the-fly form change in a .PDF document. It looks like Reader is generating a corrupted print file that blows up the Windows print spooler. Adobe Reader should not do this but perhaps more seriously Windows should be smart enough to avoid what looks like a memory overflow that certainly could portend a security vulnerability.

There appears to be no solution other than the very temporary one (i.e., until the next time an Adobe Reader-generated print job requests a form change) where a Windows administrator accesses the C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers folder, deletes the contents and restarts the Windows print spooler service.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2010 9:20 AM   in reply to (Braden_Bartlett)

You have to delete all printers records in regedti, HKey Current User, Printers ... reboot computer and in control panel add again printers. And all will work again.

Regards.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2011 8:33 AM   in reply to (Braden_Bartlett)

If you are running Adobe Acrobat 9.4.2, try the following Adobe solution, it works!

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/891/cpsid_89178.html

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 3:48 PM   in reply to (Captain_Cook)

Captain_Cook's answer worked for me!  It's so easy!  Before I discovered that, I had been re-booting the computer to solve this.

(Captain_Cook) wrote:

Make a different printer the default Windows printer and try again.
    Something to do with either driver or a registry error when installing and default printer is set.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 3:52 PM   in reply to imimin

I am still experiencing this problem with Acrobat 9.5.5.  I am afraid to apply any patches designed for 9.4.2 for fear something else would break.

imimin wrote:

If you are running Adobe Acrobat 9.4.2, try the following Adobe solution, it works!

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/891/cpsid_89178.html

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 3:53 PM   in reply to soporteAFB

While I imagine this would fix it, it sounds like a lot of work.  Did you try Captain_Cook's solution (above)?

soporteAFB wrote:

You have to delete all printers records in regedti, HKey Current User, Printers ... reboot computer and in control panel add again printers. And all will work again.

Regards.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)