I have the same problem, basically. I cannot open PDFs. I cannot install a fresh Adobe Reader because I cannot uninstall the old one, which must be corrupt. I am unable to uninstall because the installation system cannot find an AcroRead.msi file.
If you get the errors described above, you cannot uninstall the usual way because the cached msi/mst/msp in "C:\Windows\Installer" is corrupt or missing. Also, you possibly cannot update if you accidentally deleted the cached install sources from "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Setup Files\...".
You can use brute force methods by using the windows installer cleanup tools (MSIZAP.EXE).
I have the same problem, 'error 1316 a network error 7.70 msi' ongoing for some time ...i can't use PDF, unintstall, reinstall, nothing - I also get 'error 1311 source file not found....' this is so frustrating - and I'm scared to use heavy handed solutions as I dont have computer know how, do I buy a new computer?
Earlier Adobe Readers have been "Corrupted"
1. Open Browser (I use Google)
2. Type in "WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY"
3. When results appear look for "support,microsoft.com DESCRIPTION OF WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY"------CLICK
4. When page opens, SCROLL down to "Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility Cleanup"-----CLICK
5. When "File download-Security Warning" box appears-----CLICK "RUN"
6. After download completes,--Open "PROGRAMS" on your computer
and look for "WINDOWS INSTALL CLEANUP"---CLICK to open
7. When box opens, look for 8.1.1 or any "Adobe Reader" (I don't know which version you have installed)-----CLICK to "HIGHLIGHT"
CAUTION-----DO NOT HIGHLIGHT ANY OTHER PROGRAM---CAUTION
8. At bottom of BOX ----CLICK "REMOVE"
9. Go back to "CONTROL PANEL"-"ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS"---Adobe Reader should have been removed
10. Now download "ADOBE READER 8.1.2" From Adobe
THIS IS NOT USING "BRUTE FORCE" or "HEAVY HANDED" Methods
Thank you sooooo much!!! This worked like a charm for my problem. I was getting a "missing installation source" message., And the 'AdbeRdr812_en_US.msi' was nowhere to be found. I followed your instructions and I was able to remove the Reader 8.1.2 and download 9. Thanks!!!
Hi when I am trying to open pdf file it opens the page showing error & close the application.
When I tried to reinstall it by uninstalling the old one it shows the message that I need to enter an alternate path containing the installation package acroread.msi package installation.
Please advice me how to sort it out.
This should not happen if you removed all Adobe Reader occurrences with the cleanup tool. Please run it again and see if there is anything Adobe left anywhere. (Ignore Adobe Flash Player & Shockwave Player.)