Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't type in form field

Oct 21, 2008 7:53 AM

When I move the "I" to an unsecured field I can't get my keyboard to type.
I'm using Reader 9 on XP machine

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 21, 2008 8:00 AM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    Do you absolutely know that the form contains fillable fields that were added by the creator of the form?

Keep in mind that just because it looks like a form, that doesn't mean it's fillable.

Also the security just lets you know that "if" there are fillable fields, you'd be allowed to fill them. It isn't telling you that those fields exist.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2008 10:04 AM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    >The document is an application

Maybe explaining that a little further would help. An application?

Are these PDF files?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2008 12:27 PM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    Ok. I'm not sure where the application part comes in but my first answer stands. They may "look" like fillable forms but that doesn't mean they are.

They are probably intended to print out and fill by hand. If you can send me one (click on my user name for my email address) I can confirm that but I'm 99% positive that this is the case.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2008 3:07 PM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    Hi Glenn.

Got the PDF. There are no form fields that you can fill out.

You see the "I" because you have the select text tool selected.

To see if form fields exist, use the hand tool, mouse over what you think is a field, THEN if it turns to an "I", it may be fillable.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2008 4:43 PM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    Not a problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 1, 2008 1:57 PM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    Graffiti - I have been having the exact same problem and this was helpful (finally figured out using the hand tool that what appeared to be fields actually were not).

So, the next question is: is there any solution to this? I have been told by the person who sent it to me that I should be able to fill it in using the "typewriter" tool. However, I cannot seem to find that tool, and in the "toolbars" list, Typewriter has an asterisk next to it so when I check the box, typewriter still doesn't show up.

Is there any way I can fill it in some other way?? (Not by hand - must be "typed" and I haven't seen a typewriter in about 9 years!)

Thanks in advance - this has been frustrating me for a week!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2008 7:35 AM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    In order for Reader users to use the typewriter tool, the creator of the file has to specifically enable that.

It could be that they "think" they have enabled the tool but really haven't.

If you could post the PDF somewhere we could look at it, I could tell you more but for now, that's all I can think of.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2008 3:31 AM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    You can save the form as a bmp file; insert it into a word document page; insert a text box that you type in filling in the blanks on the form. I just accomplished this with a form that has little text boxes and it came out just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2008 11:13 AM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    I can't seem to fill out the form. The properties section reads filling of the forms is allowed.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2008 11:41 AM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    > I can't seem to fill out the form. The properties section reads filling of the forms is allowed.

Did you read my very first post in this thread?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2008 1:26 PM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    Graffiti, first off thanks for the help. Secondly I am experiencing the same problem as all the other people here. I have been filling out applications for employment for years and have never experienced this issue of not being able to temporarily fill in the text boxes. I recently printed an application and filled it out by hand, in hind sight I think I wasn't selected for an interveiw because of this.

These are the pdf properties I've seen multiple times...

Printing: Allowed
    Document Assembly: Not Allowed
    Content Copying: Allowed
    Content Copying for Accessibility: Allowed
    Page Extraction: Allowed
    Commenting: Not Allowed
    Filling of form fields: Allowed
    Signing: Not Allowed
    Creation of Template Pages: Not Allowed

Like I said before these are employment application forms and they are ment to be filled out using reader. It would seem that something has either changed with the newer versions of Adobe or my computer is corrupt... and I really hope it's not the second.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2008 1:38 PM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    >These are the pdf properties I've seen multiple times...

You can basically ignore what those properties say. They're just telling you that "if" there were fillable form fields, you would be allowed to fill them out. It's not saying that those form fields exist.

>and they are ment to be filled out using reader

How do you know? Did they specifically tell you that you could use Reader to fill them out?

Do you have a link to one that we can look at?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2009 8:58 AM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    The form fields in this PDF work with Foxit reader, but not with Adobe Reader 9 (Windows XP sp3):

http://dsnet.co.clark.nv.us/dsweb/permit_application/forms/signpermita pp.pdf

Any ideas what is wrong with Adobe Reader?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2009 9:10 AM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    Not sure. They work fine in 9 for me.

What happens when you try and fill it out? As many details as you can give would be helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2009 10:27 AM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    My Adobe Reader says it is fully updated.

When I open the doc is tells me at the top "You are viewing this document in PDF/A mode"

If I select the "Hand", it does not turn to a text entry cursor or allow me to click into the fields. The arrow/I tool just stays as a "I" when over the text or the fields, but does not allow me to enter the field or add text.

Thanks for the help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2009 11:01 AM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    I found the problem.

The pdf was opening in PDF/A mode and that mode does not support fields. In Edit|Preferences|Documents there is a setting to shut off PDF/A view mode. It then works as expected.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2009 11:17 AM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    Correct. PDF/A doesn't support fields. Glad you got it figured out.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2009 6:04 PM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    Adobe Reader 9 Scanned form using HP all in one and saved in pdf format Form opens up ok and I know there is other things I have to do in order to make the fields printable. One help told me to Choose Forums>Start Form Wizard. I cannot find the forms or wizard. What do I do?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2009 6:28 PM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    >One help told me to Choose Forums>Start Form Wizard. I cannot find the forms or wizard.

That's because it's not available in Reader. You need Acrobat to create forms.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2009 8:15 PM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    Can't type in form field

OK but my version is old Acrobat 4 The help told me to choose tools>forms>auto calculate field values. The auto calculate field values is checked but is grayed out

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2009 6:49 AM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    It's been a long time since I've seen 4 but, I don't think it works on scanned documents.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2009 8:18 AM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    graffiti, I tried to save the document as a bmp file as you suggested but it is not giving me that option. Any suggestions

thanx

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2009 9:07 AM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    >I tried to save the document as a bmp file as you suggested

I never suggested that. In fact, this is your first post to this thread. What seems to be the problem (there are a couple of issues in this thread)? Why are you trying to save to .bmp?

Also, you're right. You don't have that option from Adobe Acrobat. .bmp is more of a Microsoft thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2009 11:12 AM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    Im sorry. I read one of the old thread were a guy was looking for the same answers that I am. I am trying to insert a text box into a pdf file that is an application. Any suggestions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2009 11:29 AM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    >I am trying to insert a text box into a pdf file that is an application.

I'm not sure what that means. Do you have a PDF that you want to insert a fillable field in to? If so, do you have Acrobat Pro? That is required for this type of work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2009 12:34 PM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    I downloaded an adobe reader pdf document from the internet. It is an application for school so I would like to type the information in instead of writing it in. So I am hoping there is a way to insert a text box and type my answers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2009 12:45 PM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    >So I am hoping there is a way to insert a text box and type my answers.

Unless the creator of the file added fillable form fields, you can't fill it out with the free Reader application.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2009 12:50 PM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    okay. Is there a reader version that I can pay for that will do it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2009 12:53 PM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    Buy Adobe Acrobat and you can add form fields.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2009 12:56 PM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    where do i get it and how much?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2009 1:00 PM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    The new version (9) has form field ability in the Standard version (you don't have to buy Pro anymore).

I think it's around $300.

More info: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatstd/

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2009 1:35 PM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    Im a poor college student. Any other ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2009 2:25 PM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    You can Google free pdf tools for some other options. I don't use any of them so I'm hesitant to recommend a particular one.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2009 4:34 PM   in reply to ~graffiti
    College students qualify for a reduced price academic version and
    perhaps even a student version. Acrobat Pro Academic is $159. I don't
    see an academic version of Acrobat Standard.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2009 5:33 AM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    We created our form with professional 8, with 9, no one could type in the form fields. Here it the solution we found and there have been no further issues:

If after opening the form you are unable to type in it, Please take the following steps to adjust your Adobe Acrobat settings.

1. Right click on the opened RFF form and choose page display preferences. It is the very last option on the list.

2. Select Documents on the list that opens. It will be your first option.

3. Toward the bottom of the document window find PDF/A VIEW mode.

4. Use the down arrow on the PDF/A VIEW box and select Never.

5. Click ok.

Now that your setting has been made, you will not need to follow this step again.

Don't know if that will help your issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2009 4:30 PM   in reply to (Glenn_Searles)
    There's a way for Reader users to add form fields without purchasing the full Acrobat product. You can download a free 30-day trial version of Acrobat Pro (Windows) from Adobe.com at:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/?promoid=BPDDU

You can then use the product to add form fields. See additional forms troubleshooting tips in Acrobat Help at:
    http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Acrobat/9.0/Standard/WS58a04a822e3e50102bd 615109794195ff-7dd2.w.html

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)