Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot uninstall Adobe Reader 7.0.8...keep getting "Error 1402" message..

Dec 13, 2008 2:19 PM

Hello. I use Windows XP Home Edition. I am trying to uninstall Adobe Reader 7.0.8 so I can then install version 9, but I am not able to uninstall 7.0.8. During the uninstallation process, I get the following error message:

*****Error 1402. Could not open key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{C523F39 F-9C83-11D3-9094-00104BD0D535}\Programmable.

Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.*****

I went to another forum and asked for some help there...the guy there gave me some steps to follow, and I did so. Here they are:

1. Deleted "Adobe Reader Speed Launch" shortcut from Startup folder.

2. Deleted the Adobe folder (which contained 2 other folders: Acrobat 6.0 and Acrobat 7.0) from C:\My Computer\Local Disk\Program Files. I had to use a separate program (provided by my helper who gave me these steps to follow) called "Unlocker" to accomplish this, since, originally, when I tried to delete this Adobe folder, I would get a message saying "Cannot delete pdfshell.dll: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use." Unlocker solved this problem, and was able to delete the Adobe folder.

3. Rebooted machine

4. Ran CCleaner's registry cleaner

5. Rebooted machine again

6. Tried using CCleaner's "Uninstall" utility to uninstall Adobe Reader 7.0.8. When I tried this, I got the same "Error 1402" message as listed above.

7. Backed-up my registry

8. Tried to just delete this particular offending key using RegEdit...but when I tried, I got a message saying this:

*****ERROR DELETING KEY
Cannot delete Programmable: Error while deleting key.*****

I really need some assistance with this...at the moment, Adobe Reader 7.0.8 still seems to be installed on my machine (it's still listed in "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel, and it still shows up in CCleaner's Uninstall Utility)...despite the fact that, as I mentioned above, I used Unlocker to delete the Adobe folder from Program Files. Also, at this moment, no pdf files will open on my machine...so this is quite an urgent situation. Does anyone know what else I should do now? Is there something I need to do regarding the "Permissions" for this particular registry key?

I appreciate anyone's assistance...thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 13, 2008 2:43 PM   in reply to (Neil_Sharma)
    Download, install and run the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2008 12:17 AM   in reply to (Neil_Sharma)
    Can you open Regedit and verify that you actually have that key?

If yes, right-click on the upper key {C523F39F-9C83-11D3-9094-00104BD0D535} and select Permissions. Then make sure that you have 'Full Control' for that key and all subkeys.

I strongly recommend that you make a registry backup before you manually modify the registry; ERUNT ( http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ ) is a good and proven utility for this.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2008 9:28 AM   in reply to (Neil_Sharma)
    Neil...Use the directions in this doc:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=329137

Pat is on the right track! Good Luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2008 2:52 AM   in reply to (Neil_Sharma)
    hi. i run my laptop on winXP SP3 & everything related to Adobe Reader was fine until i have some problems with its macro settings. So i decided to uninstall Reader 7.0 and upgrade it to 9.0. Unfortunately, now i cannot reinstall any version of Adobe Rdr. Every time i try, i get this below error.

Insufficient access/permission to following key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{CA8A9783-280D-11CF-A24D- 444553540000}

i also tried to change the keys permission settings from Regedit but failed again,
    "Unable to save changes to key. Access is denied."

can anyone pls help me out here.!!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2008 2:29 PM   in reply to (mansour)
    Are you installing as an administrator? If so, run the Microsoft
    Installer Cleanup tool to remove any vestiges of previous installs, then
    re-install Reader 9.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2008 1:23 AM   in reply to (Neil_Sharma)
    yes. I am installing from an admin account. i tried to run the Microsoft tool but didnt work. I think that this tool is only for Microsoft applications (Adobe is not included in the list). Thats what it says in the link. I'v pasted it below.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

I tried installing a full version of RegistryFix7. It did found & repaired many registry errors but didnt actually fix this main issue.

A friend of mine suggested to install Adobe Reader 6.0 to be able to use pdf files for time being & i was sucessful in installing it... weird haa! So currently im using Reader6.0 which sum new pdf file arent compatible with.

Any other suggestions? Plsss.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2008 11:25 PM   in reply to (Neil_Sharma)
    > i tried to run the Microsoft tool but didnt work. I think that this tool is only for Microsoft applications

No, it works with all installed applications, and it has helped countless users of this forum to get Adobe Reader installed. Can you be more specific how it "didnt work"?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2008 3:44 AM   in reply to (Neil_Sharma)
    Hi Pat. During AdbRdr9.0/8.0/7.0 installation, when it reaches
    b "Status: Removing system registered values"
    I get the error like this
    i "Error 1402.Could not open key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{CA8A9783-280D-11CF-A 24D-444553540000}\1.3. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."
    And then everything rolls back. I also did remove every application related to Adobe from the Windows Clean Up tool (adobe air, adobe flash player, adobe writer,etc).

The error still the same when i try versions 9.0,8.0 or 7.0, but when i try 6.0, its installs Ok. This is the second time this is happening to me and the only way i fixed it the first time was by formatting my laptop. But i do not want to go thru all this backup/restore process again. Its just not worth it for one key.

Any ideas y this is happening?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2009 5:40 AM   in reply to (Neil_Sharma)
    Hi Guys!
    Any update???

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2009 9:19 PM   in reply to (Neil_Sharma)
    Sorry, I have been ill.

Do you know how to use the registry editor (regedit)? If so, browse to the registry key you have posted earlier, right-click on it, and give it the proper permissions to be removed.

I strongly recommend to make a registry backup before you start; ERUNT ( http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ ) is a proven tool for this.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)