• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader 9.1 Cannot print - No pages were selected

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2009 Mar 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to print a PDF on a new Dell PC using Windows XP, sp3, I get a message in a window that says Document cannot be printed. Click ok and the next message is No pages were selected to print. The All button is selected and the message stays the same.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2009 Mar 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What printer? What driver? Can you try to print as image?

Sometimes if you remove the printer driver and re-install it, you can
then print the pdf.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2009 May 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem - the printer works fine witrh everything else and was fine with Acrobat Reader prior to the upgrade to 9.

Reisntalling the printer driver is all well and good but the upgrade process is poor if this is a requirement! Think about all the corporates with locked down settings for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of sudden I am having the same issues. Not only from Reader 9.1 but from my full version of Acrobat 8 as well. All other programs on my Windows XP box are printing just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2009 May 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem as you described: I get the "error, no pages selected to print" even though pages are clearly selected to print in the Print dialog.

I am using Adobe Reader on XP/SP2. I deleted and reloaded the printer, HP LaserJet 5200, and rebooted... same problem. I checked for updates for Adobe 9, loaded them, and rebooted...and was able to print for about a week. Then the problem came back again.

I noticed that in the Print dialog->Printer Properties button...Printing Shortcuts dialog...re-select all the drop-downs (i.e. Paper source=automatically select, Paper size=Letter, etc.) and press ok. Seems as if this resets the setting the Print dialog is looking for and Adobe prints the document (at least it did for me, your situation may be totally different, but its something to try).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2009 May 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up uninstalling Adobe Reader and my other copy of Adobe Acrobat 8.x and reinstalling them and the problem went away.

Now everything prints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2009 Jul 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just encountered this problem after upgrading to V 9.x.

The solution I stumbled on was to click the page icon on the left hand side under the print icon. Thumbnail images of the document are displayed. I selected the pages I wanted from the thumbnail images and hey presto they printed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2010 Mar 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks LisleR99 that worked for me as well. Must be a new "feature" of the latest update. Hopefully they will fix the problem in the next patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 16, 2010 Mar 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran into this but the page icon trick worked however I had an extra level of weirdness.

I had a three page document that I printed to PDF via cutepdf.  I then went into the cutepdf printer preferences and set it to print two pages per sheet.

I then reprinted the 3 -page PDF to cutePDF again ... creating a second PDF with only two pages (page 1 with the original page 1 & 2 and page 2 had the original page 3).

When opened in Reader, the number of pages in the menu bar showed  # of 2 but when I clicked on the "pages" navigation panel, it showed the first page as page 2 and the second page as page 3.  Weird?  Is this due to the reprinting of two pages per sheet or does Reader/Acrobat have a page numbering bug?

Did anyone else that had the "no pages selected problem" notice this page misnumbering/counting problem?

Thanks,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2010 Mar 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. I

removed and reinstalled Adobe and it did not work.

I went to hel and slected repair Adobe installation.  It Worked!

Best Regards and Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2010 Mar 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, when coming across this problems, you just need to uninstall your adobe reader and then fully install it.So you would not need to repair it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2010 Mar 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A complete uninstallation and reinstallation ought to help.

Reading some othr threads on this forum, this seems to be the solution for some of the upgrade issues for Reader 9.x series!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2010 Mar 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. I did it and it did not work.

It was corrected after I found repair on the help pull down menu.

Repair fixed the problem and I can print with no problems.

Henry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2010 Mar 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easy fix. Go to File, print, advanced button at the bottom, check the "Print as image" check box. OK. OK to print. Or set the shrink to printable area to none and deselect the "auto rotate and center" box. Repair and reinstall fixed nothing when I tried it. The print to image did. What I was trying to print from someone was created in an ancient version of Adobe, if you look at the properties of the doc it says the version it was created in. Might be part of the problem. FYI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2010 Mar 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac (Intel Unibody MacBook OS X 10.5.8) and I am experiencing the identical problem.  However, I've read through all the posts in this thread and none of the solutions offered by other respondents to the thread worked for me.  When I tried the 'Repair' solution I received a message that 'No missing components detected' 'Repairs are not needed'.

I know this is a free programme but does life have to be this hard - all I want to do is print a pdf file!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 01, 2010 Apr 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you check through the thumbnails of the document you may find some pages are blank.

When attempting to view these pages you may receive error "There was an error processing this page, There was a problem reading this document (109)"

I believe the file may have been corrupted in transit or error on the creators side. I am checking with the sender.

In any case my user wanted the document printed...

In the Thumbnail Windows I selected all (CTRL+A) and then deselected the few pages which were errored (CTRL+Click).

Right hand clicked and hit print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 25, 2010 May 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could solve this problem by renaming the folder "Adobe" in

c:\documents and settings\[username]\application data\.

When acrobat started, the folder was created with "new settings". It worked.

ps.: this will affect other adobe programs that have their folders inside the "Adobe" folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2010 Jun 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I doubt that will work for me - I'm on a Mac so the file structure is different I imagine.  Glad that you found a way to make it work though.  Sometimes I've been able to open the file in Preview (an inbuilt Mac application) and then I have no trouble at all printing - the problem is when it seems to be an Adobe created file which will only open with Adobe ... don't know why 😞

Cheers

Tricia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2010 Aug 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same error message but my solution was different to what I read in the above posts - since it frustrated me beyond measures describable here, I decided to try focusing on the printer in stead of selected pages.  It turns out that the error message in my case was very misleading.  I had no hope of printing to the printer I selected because my IP address and default gateway were still setup for the wrong environment (my home, not my work).  I could not log onto the server to which the printer listens.  Fixing that, I logged onto the server, and from there, with no changes to Adobe Reader (install/uninstall) or the printer setup, I could print again.

The root cause of the problem is incorrect error reporting.  Either Microsoft or Adobe is reporting incorrectly that "No pages were selected" when my system tried to print to a printer that it could no longer access because I was not logged in to the server, and the printer driver could not talk to the service it wanted to talk to.  The reported error gives no indication whatsoever to correctly guide anyone to solving the problem.

As Adobe reader is free I'm asking Adobe nicely - guys, could you check out why it would do this and maybe improve future releases of Reader to more accurately report such problems with printing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still getting the same error message - my workaround (because I'm on a Mac) is that  - unless I'm trying to print a doc that was created using Adobe and therefore I can't choose Preview to open the doc - I save the .pdf and then use Preview to open it - it always prints without any problem from Preview.  However, it's really annoying with those docs where this workaround can't be used.

I don't think that the IP address is the cause of the problem for me.  I use my Mac with both a Canon printer (in Australia) and an Epson printer (in Italy) - same problem in both countries.  I have a wireless network in both places and can print from both Word:Mac 2008 and Excel:Mac 2008 over my LAN - I thought I would uninstall and download again to see if that worked but I already did that a few months ago and it didn't change anything.

Thanks for your input ... glad you got it to work for you ...

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scadger

For your problem, I'm assuming other programs already print without problem.  My only recommendation is backup your system, format, install only your OS and  printer, and see if that hits it.  Get a fresh copy of Adobe reader, maybe off a magazine CD - the downloads off internet are usually only download managers that install themselves on your system and then download the actual program.  Stay away - possible errors can creep in.  And maybe stay away from the Adobe Reader install package you have at the moment - mark it suspect.  Download your printer software anew.

Basically start fresh.  If it works then, I'm guessing a software conflict on your old system is the cause, or your install media you used for your old install was corrupt, only 2 of many possibilities.

But the key here is to make a "ghost" backup of your current system so you can go look for the problem afterwards.  Of course, I don't even know if there is backup software like ghost out there for a mac.

Also, I think your mac probably has recovery CDs.  Avoid those - get CDs of your OS only.  Make sure you install only the OS and printer software - possibly even only the printer driver, not the printer software.  The newest latest and greatest versions of all of them.

And easiest probably is to put in a different hard disk for this test - saves you from backing up.

My thoughts are that Adobe Reader should work on your system.  It's a software configuration issue.  So something you've installed is preventing things from working correctly.  Especially since your other programs print to the same printer driver without hassle.  But your first step is to get Adobe Reader to print again on a fresh start and prove it still can work, then add stuff until it stops working and blame the last thing you installed.

The actual error, as we've learnt, might be completely unrelated to "no pages were selected".

If you've done all that and still no joy, try a different printer with different software.  Then try a different printer cable.  Then you've got to move on to changing the machine so you can get away from the ports on your current system, but by this time we're at the point of giving up hope, I hope you don't have to go there.  Maybe you could install a peripheral card in your system to add a new port, but that's also more of a hassle than it's worth.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran a repair option in the Adobe sw and it was corrected

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the issue for me, blank pages.  Entering a page range equal to that of the pages that actually have data on them allowed it to print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2010 Sep 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with Adobe Reader 9 (9.3.4) BUT in my case there is NO error message at all. The whole system freezes. It freezes when I click the Print Icon, it freezes when I click FILE > Print SetUp / Print , it freezes when I open the thumbnail icon, right-click the page and try to print. What else can I do? I did everything this forum suggested, uninstalled, re-installed, repair, etc.

The program doesn't respond at all.

All other programs (Word, Excel) print perfectly. I have Windows XP/SP3.

AdobeError.jpg

PLEASE HELP????!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 30, 2010 Sep 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your printer control panel, select another default printer and see if the error occurs.

If it doesn't try reinstalling printer/updating printer driver.

Else post back here..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines