Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"There was an error opening this document..."

Jun 19, 2007 12:43 AM

...file could not be found"
This is the message that I get every time I try and convert a range of different word documents to pdf using the button on the taskbar. Reader runs through the process of converting the document, saves it in the right place, but the message comes every time it tries to display the document it has just coverted. It has only started to happen since I downloaded the 8.1 update. I have tried repairing and reinstalling Adobe Reader but still the same problem.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2007 6:50 AM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    I get the same error message when I download a pdf document from an e-mail and hit the open file dialog box. If I end task from Adobe and go into Adobe Reader, I can open the file from there but it is a nuisance to have to do this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2007 9:13 AM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    I am also getting this error when my program tries to open a pdf in reader off the hard drive. It does not happen when I revert to 8.0 or any earlier versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2007 12:53 PM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    For what it is worth I also get this message when I try and open a pdf file in Visual Basic using the Shell command. Worked fine with Reader 7.0.

Anyone know how to go back to version 7?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2007 12:59 PM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    I am getting this same error message. Downloading files attached to e-mails received on AOL and this seems to "freeze" AOL. The open file dialogue box opens indicating the file has been downloaded but I get an hourglass symbol that won't go away. Have to close AOL, restart AOL and when I try to open again I get the "There was an error opening the document. The file could not be found" message. However, if I go to My Documents, I can open the file from where I downloaded it. Tried to uninstall Reader 8.0 and reinstall Reader 7.0, but problem is persisting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2007 8:27 AM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    Today I did not get this message and my pdf file opened without the error. I was wondering if this might be an error that occurs if the person sending the file created it in an older version of Adobe. I guess Adobe will some day find a fix for this problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2007 8:29 AM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    To go back to version 7 you have to remove version 8.1, go to adobe.com and pick install previous version. I tried it but I didn't get the latest version of 7 that I previously had. I don't mind the error message coming up. I end task out of the error message and then open adobe and my file is there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2007 4:53 AM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    Any Ideas on how to fix this?

H

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2007 8:17 AM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    Sounds like a problem in the new software. Until Adobe finds a fix we will have to deal with it. Like I said I end task (control, alt, delete) and end task out of Adobe and then open Adobe from my desktop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2007 12:41 PM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    I am having the same problem with adobe reader 6 thus that si not a new problem.
    when opening file off any site I get a message "There was an error opening this docment. This file cannot be found". On the same note if the file is saved to the PC and opened it can be viewed.

If any one has a clue on how to fix this do write back thanks

Piyush Patel

Piuspatel@yahoo.com

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2007 2:40 PM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    I also get this error. Yet, after clicking OK a few times it will open the file if I use File Open.

Seeing the number of people getting this error (and other threads here), it seems that 8.1 is pretty Buggy and Adobe isn't bothering to fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2007 4:59 PM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    I'm getting this too, when using the Acrobat Elements 7 button in Word and trying to open the file in Reader 8.1.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2007 5:37 PM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    I tested this with various versions. We're using Acrobat Elements 7.0.5 to create PDFs. The setting, by default, is to open them in Reader by default after conversion ("view Adobe PDF results"). 7.0.x and 8.0 both open the PDF automatically after conversion, but 8.1 doesn't.

We downgraded our test system to 8.0 and it started working again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2007 5:50 PM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    I logged a support call with Adobe and they have now submitted this as a bug report and they will look at fixing this in a future release (but can't guarantee any fixes).

8.1 was a release to provide compatibility with Office 2007 and Vista, and their recommendation to me was to just use 8.0.

My advice is that you use your support contracts to get a case logged for this. Feel free to ask them to reference my Case ID 145839222 when looking at this. Not sure if this is just an asian/pacific case ID referencable outside this region.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2007 3:09 PM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    The same message comes up when Reader is called with a command line argument - we call Reader (from within our program) to open an existing pdf file, and it worked fine with Reader 5.0, but not with 8.0 or 8.1 (don't know about 6 & 7 - we have only just discovered the problem, so 6 & 7 may have been OK).

A similar problem is referenced by Adobe for opening pdf files inside a browser and they advise that different versions of the Acrobat family are incompatible (e.g Acrobat 5.0 and Reader 8.0), which is really useful.

What I have found is that the inclusion of " (double-inverted commas/quotes) at the start and end of the file name allows pdf files to be opened - it works much the same as some commands in the Start|Run option in Windows, and I would guess Adobe may have set this requirement in stone for Vista.

This works for our program (now tested) and may work for other cases where it is possible to include the quotes. Where the quotes cannot be included I would suggest the software developer (for any third-party program) may need to modify their calling routine to include the quotes.

The quotes work for Reader 5.0, and may well work for 6 & 7.

I have not seen reference to this by Adobe, yet!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2007 3:42 AM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    On a similar note, and this may be of use to you - I use a vb script to call on a menu pdf and all worked well until version 8 of adobe reader was installed. On running the vbs with 8 or 8.1 installed I get an error message '... This file cannot be found'. On investigation it appears that the same problem occurs if you use any type of remote call to open a pdf file rather than double clicking on its icon e.g via run command or vb script. I found the only way around it is to use the short naming convention as used in DOS e.g. C:\Program Files becomes C:\Progra~1 and then everything seems to work fine. I assume this is because some versions of XP use Microsoft (r) Windows Based Script Host and others use Microsoft (r)Console Based Script host (cscript.exe in the System32 folder). The problem does not seem to occur on machines using the Console version.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2007 1:52 PM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    This is probably not an Adobe problem.
    I have been experiencing the same error using Adobe 7.0
    However the problem only exists when I use Internet Explorer. If I use Firefox the file just opens like it should.
    I have tested this with IE6.0 and Firefox 2.0
    I did not yet test it with IE7.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2007 2:26 PM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    This doesn't only happen with I.E. It also happens when you just attempt to open the pdf directly from adobe program. I've been researching this problem for the past couple of weeks, and it seems to happen with all the version of Adobe reader and Acrobat 6.0, 7.0, and 8.0. No reports of this happening with Adobe 5 tho.

Still I haven't found a fix for the problem. I think there is a problem with the script and a code maybe need to added to a adobe config file. I'm looking for that scrip now I'll let you know of my findings.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2007 9:28 AM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    Since installing Adobe 8.0 every time I try to open a document it freezes up. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2007 8:24 AM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    I'm getting the error message "There was an error opening this document. The file was damaged and could not be repaired." The site that I'm trying to download the form from says it is on my end and that I need to turn off all of my pop-up blockers and firewalls. I have done this and yet, I still get the same message and am unable to open the document. The only firewall I'm running is Windows XP. Any help that anyone is able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2007 1:00 PM   in reply to (Judi_Judge)
    Judi,

What OS? First step would be to try upgrading to 8.1

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2007 1:01 PM   in reply to (Toni_Singer)
    Toni,

Try to empty your cache and redownload the document.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2007 11:09 PM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    There was an error opening this document. The file is damage and could not be repaired.... i got this message to my file is there any solutions to this... asap

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2007 10:29 AM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    My client has a laptop running XP multimedia edition, with most recent windows updates and using AOL version 9.0.

Ive been searching multiple forums; including this one for a viable solution and to date I havent found one.

I was able to, however, find a workaround that might have been pointed out by someone in this forum. What Ive done was I removed current version and Adobe Reader and installed version 6.0.

Although, its not most elegant fix, it works for my client so far.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2007 6:53 AM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    If 8.1 version of the Adobe Reader is flawed, why do we have to pay for an incident assistance to make a correction? I too, when trying to download from AOL to My Document, receive a "There is an error opeing this document or cannot find." I do not have the problem when download to My Desktop.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2007 12:23 PM   in reply to (Shannon_Sommeling)
    >If 8.1 version of the Adobe Reader is flawed, why do we have to pay for an incident assistance to make a correction?

You're not paying for a correction (and you may not get one). You're
    paying the salary of a human. Since you didn't pay it when you got the
    free software, that's part of the deal.

In fact, you have to pay for support for a lot of software that costs
    hundreds of dollars too. If you can find free software with free
    support - use it!

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2007 2:37 PM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    Here's where I disagree with you, Aandi. We DO pay for Acrobat Elements. Acrobat Reader is a required co-requisite, and the new version breaks functionality that we expect to work (and worked in the past with 8.0), such as Reader being able to find and open a document that Elements 7.x just created.

If Adobe had continued the Acrobat Elements line, then we would have upgraded to Elements 8, but they haven't. People who pay maintenance are forced to upgrade to Standard, which is "bloaty" to say the least.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2007 6:13 PM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    Andi,

Adobe's business model all along was to make money from the sale of the software to create PDFs, by distributing the reader for free.

If their user community is impacted, it may impact the sales of the software that one pays for.

The fact that it is distributed does not mean it shouldn't be supported.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2007 11:20 PM   in reply to (Rick_Grossman)
    >The fact that it is distributed does not mean it shouldn't be supported.

It IS supported. It just isn't supported for free.

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2007 8:16 PM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    I allowed the automatic 8.1 update, expecting no problems. I've spent two days messing with this program as it disabled other programs, behaved as a virus, and disabled my ability to create pdf's (I paid for that ability). I've had to uninstall the programs, uninstall my 6.0 standard reinstall all. I can again make pdf files, but they are EXTREMELY SLOW. I still can't open a file after downloading from an email attachment. I have to control alt delete as the reader freezes.

I use pdf files many times daily in my work. This is totally unacceptable. I can't understand why Adobe would allow such ongoing problems without sending out a fix. UNBELIEVEABLE

Janice

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2007 5:47 AM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    Sherry LeBlanc
    I am having difficulty reading a document that I normally download and print monthly. I receive a error message that reads,"i cannot extract the embedded font 'FO'. some characters may not display or print correctly." Which is the case in both, can read or print report. Is anyone else receiving these messages?
    thanks,
    Sherry

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2007 3:16 PM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    I have received this message:
    Security Warning
    This document has accessed more than one site and might be trying to share data among different locations. This could be a privacy concern. Are you sure you want to continue?
    When click on Details:
    Acrobat Privacy
    List of the sites accessed by the document:
    http://servername.

We are using terminal services and Citrix.
    How can we disable this message?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2007 5:53 AM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    Embedded font 'FO' error message, I posted a message on 9-10-07 and someone responded to it in regards to opening and printing an Adobe Reader pdf file. Someone responded but it went to my spam file and I never was able to read it. Could you please resend your message I would appreciate it. Thanks.
    Message send 9-10-07

Sherry LeBlanc
    I am having difficulty reading a document that I normally download and print monthly. I receive a error message that reads,"i cannot extract the embedded font 'FO'. some characters may not display or print correctly." Which is the case in both, can read or print report. Is anyone else receiving these messages?
    thanks,
    Sherry

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2007 8:49 AM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    The users of one of my websites reported this problem ie. unsupported format etc. and after redoing the pdf dozens of times using the Word PDF maker I finally converted the original Word doc to .rtf format. Ran that through the PDF Maker up loaded it, et voila! all is well they (and I) can open the file in Adobe Reader 8.1.

I am on XP Sp2 and have Adobe Acrobat 6 Pro on board and pretty peeved that I have had to waste so much time on all this.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2007 8:58 AM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    After converting a long Word 07 document to pdf, I mistakenly deleted the original. Is there a way to reconvert a pdf document into Word? Thanks.

Mal

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2007 5:19 PM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    Would anyone in Adobe care to provide an update to this issue. Look up case #145839222. I'd expect this issue to at least be searchable from the knowledge base, but it doesn't appear to be.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2007 2:57 AM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    Mal, if you have Adobe Acrobat - I have Acrobat 6 Pro - you can do it in that by opening the document> Save as> then select your file format. Some formatting information may be lost doing this. If you don't have Acrobat then I haven't a clue what you can do - unless one of the free pdf generators could help.

An off the wall suggestion - go back to Windows 2000Pro, it seems that is not affected!

It's about time Adobe released a fix for this don't you think?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2007 10:06 AM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    I have two clients with this same problem using AOL . . what's the deal?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2007 1:48 PM   in reply to (Mark_Bramall)
    If you are opening from the browser, not saving, try deleting the temporary internet files. This worked for me.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)