Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
Currently Being Moderated

There was an error opening this document.  The file is damaged and could not be repaired.

Jan 24, 2008 5:00 AM

Hi I constantly get the following message when trying to read files:
There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired. I am using Windows XP.

I tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling but this didn't work. I also tried repairing the installation - still no joy.

I would be grateful for any help.
Tess

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2008 6:41 AM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)
    I have the same problem. It was strange because I have the same version at work and it opened the very document which was supposedly damaged and couldn't be repaired. I unistalled the program and now having difficulty re-installing. I think it has to do with the windows installer but I don't know how to fix that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2008 6:57 AM   in reply to (amal_ibrahim)
    > I think it has to do with the windows installer but I don't know how to fix that.

Maybe you could tell us the exact error messages.

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2008 5:22 AM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)
    I'm having a similiar issue. I have a user that gets this error when trying to open a .pdf from outlook. I had him save the file to his desktop, then open it, but it still gets the error and doesn't open. So I had him forward the email to me and the pdf opens fine for me, so the file is not damaged. I've already removed and re-installed Adobe, and deleted temps, but that didn't work. To add a twist, he is able to open other pdf files, just not ones that are in Outlook. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2008 5:59 AM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)
    I am having same problem. any idea

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2008 6:57 AM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)
    My twist on this problem is this: I can open pdf's and giffs but not jpgs! (I have Reader 7.0 in Windows)the error message from Adobe Reader is:

"Adobe Reader could not open ('file name.JPG') because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."

It's a JPG! I don't need Adobe Reader starting up to open a JPG.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2008 7:06 AM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)
    Tom.

You simply have a problem with your systems file associations.

You can go to your system help files and do a search for file associations to learn how to change them back.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2008 8:17 AM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)
    Thanks Graffiti I'll try that. In the meantime I followed the security alert from Adobe about a possible breach in 7.0, upgraded.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2008 8:39 AM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)
    I'm a longtimer but I don't know . . . when I go to help, change file associations, it says, "right click on file" and choose open with. If I choose "Windows and fax viewer" the picture opens. It instructs one to drop down and click on "always open with this program." I don't see that. What you're saying, Graffiti, and it is logical, is that I can change file assoc. for all jpgs. How do I do that?

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2008 9:07 AM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)
    Not sure. I'm mostly on a Mac. It varies from OS to OS.

On my laptop (which has XP) under the list of programs in "Open with", there's a check box that says "always use the selected program to open this kind of file".

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2008 9:46 AM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)
    I just right-clicked on a jpg, droped to "open with" then "other programs" chose windows pic and fax viewer, then checked "aways open files like these with" then "okay." And it works for all jpgs. I hope this helps everybody. I don't know why this happened to so many all at once. Weird. Wonder if it has anything to do with that security alert, and 7.0 Thanks Graffiti

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2008 10:24 AM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)
    Hard to say why it did that.

Seems to happen from time to time. Could have been the update I suppose.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2008 12:16 AM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)
    Hi,

Sometimes the pdf file is really damaged, I would like try a utility called Advanced PDF Repair. It works rather well for my corrupt PDF files. Its web address is http://www.datanumen.com/apdfr/ But it is not free, I just used the free demo.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2010 9:53 AM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)

I see that it has been forever since this issue was addressed but I don't see a solution provided. I get the same thing using Adobe Reader 9.3.3 with Windows Vista (UGH!) and I use Mozilla Firefox; not that this should matter but it does require a specific add-on when installing for some reason.

Anyway does anyone have a solution for this error message.  I can open other pdf's on my computer and I can open two recently received emailed pdf's on my wife's computer but I cannot open them on mine.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Steve Scott

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2010 9:16 AM   in reply to AVSmartz

I've been having this problem too. I finally decided it was time to research the problem but obviously nothing's been resolved. I have to keep copies of PDFs in a different locations on the network so I won't have to redo conversions to PDF. The OS association thing doesn't work for me. Yoo hoo Adobe designers . . .

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2010 9:36 AM   in reply to Bedford1447

I just received two pdf's from someone... both were contained within the same email one opens and the other one gives me the error message.

I was told my issue could likely be related to my Anti-virus software so I uninstalled it and re-installed it - it might have helped, but as recently as 10 minutes ago I experienced the problem again.

I'm not sure how best to communicate with adobe but would have guessed Adobe Support is as good of a place as any.

If you figure anything out please share and I'll do the same!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2010 10:25 AM   in reply to AVSmartz

My corruption seems to happen when I check pdf files out of Microsoft's Visual Sourcesafe (VSS). They're fine when I check them in; garbage when I check them back out.  I googled "pdf visual source safe" and discovered some fixes to VSS but none of them have worked so far.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 2:59 PM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)

Hi All,

I get this message too; however, only when receiving a .pdf from one particular sender. Plus, we are the only recipient in his email blast that gets this message. Anyone else have these particular conditions? I skimmed through the posts here and I didn't see any viable solutions. No one has the answer???

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2010 3:48 PM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)

I just wanted to add my problem to this post since I have a very similar issue

Everything was fine untill I downloaded my credit card statement which is in pdf format

I have windows 98 so I am using adobe reader 6.0 to open it. I was able to open it the previous month so I am not sure what the problem is

I can open any other pdf files with no poroblems It's just this particular one that doesn't work

I saved it to my desktop and it still doesn't work. Then just out of curiosity I opened it on another pc that has windows xp and adobe reader 9.0 and it works I also tried it on another pc with windows 98 and adobe reader 5.0 and I got the same error

So it seems like it's looking for a newer version although I have no way to proove it

I tried to use the Advanced pdf repair software that someone mentioned here but I could not get the free version to work (it kept crashing)

Is it possible that this file was created with a newer version of adobe acrobat and can only be read with a newer version of adobe reader ?

If that is the case it would nave been better if it would say newer version required or something like that than to say the file is damaged

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2010 7:42 AM   in reply to status123

To anyone who has this same problem

Aparently this is adobe's poor attempt of telling you to upgrade to a newer version

However I found a different solution

I was reading a different post on this forum where someone said to use Foxit instead of adobe reader

So I looked for an older version that works with windows 98 and it works

The file that is supposedly damaged and could not be repaired can be opened and read with Foxit and if it's saved with Foxit it can than be opened with adobe acrobat without any problems

Problem solved

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2010 11:41 PM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)

I have same problem

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2010 7:11 AM   in reply to bestbuyshopping

I used Foxit Reader 2.0 for my windows 98

You may have to use a newer version if you are using it on windows xp or higher although if you are using xp you can get the newer version of acrobat reader and the problem should go away at least it did for me

Basically you can't read a pdf that was made with a newer version of acrobat reader  and try to read it with an older version except for Foxit which works either way

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 4:46 AM   in reply to bestbuyshopping

My friend sent me a pdf via mail and I got the following screen:

error.JPG

Then I asked him to resend it and when I opened the SAME pdf via SAME Adobe Reader 9.3.4 it opened!!!

Which clearly indicates that the pdf got damaged on the way(in transfer process).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2010 5:33 PM   in reply to vsh07

If you can open it after trying it again that's fine Perhaps the newer version can fix itself

I tried many times opening it in the browser and downloading it with the same results

The only thing that worked for me was the newer version 9.0 on another pc with xp and the Foxit 2.0 on the current pc with windows 98

All I am saying that even if it's damaged you can still open it with Foxit

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2010 5:30 PM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)

I have been having a terrible time with the same problem.

I have narrowed my problem to having installed SP3 on my XP system.

I reverted to SP2 and the problem has gone away.

For the complete story of my problem see the thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/748316

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2010 6:52 AM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)

have you tried cleaning your App Data? go start - run - %appdata% - delete reader folder and install it again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2011 7:31 AM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)

I have the same problem on one my desktop computer. My laptop is able to read the same pdf that gives the error message on the desktop.

I tried to upgrade from Acrobat9.4 to Acrobat 10, but it did not help.....

tm

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2011 9:25 AM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)

My "damaged file" opens in reader 9 fine, but not in Adobde 5.0. Adobe by now you can

see this problem. Please add some REAL help for us.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2011 10:51 AM   in reply to johnbobjim

Early versions of Acrobat do not properly report that pdf files created with later versions that are created to be compatible with more recent file format cannot be read with this old version. They report the file is damaged. The upshot is you still need to have a more modern version of Reader to use the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2011 11:20 AM   in reply to MichaelKazlow

Again - the file opens great in Reader 9 but not in the full Adobe 5.0 progam and I spent how much on?? Yes years back but

Adobe is not cheap software and should adjust the current formats to work with the older programs.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2011 11:37 PM   in reply to MichaelKazlow

So version 10 is to old?????????

I think that this problem is something else!

terjem

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2011 8:30 AM   in reply to terjemi

I have the most current version of Adobe Reader on my Mac and on my PC.  The file will not ope

n on my Mac but does on my PC.  I use Outlook 10 on my PC and I use webmail on my Mac.  I've tried using S

afari and Firefox with the Mac webmail program, but neither will allow me to view the pdf.  When I use webmail on my

PC I can't the file to open either.  So it seems to work with Outlook but not with webmail applications?  This issue has been going on way to long for Adobe to not have addressed it yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2011 2:43 PM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)

I just started having this problem this weekend while trying to open PDF files (tax forms/instructions) from the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue.  I was using Adobe Acrobat 5.0 on our Mac OS X 10.4.11. Downloaded Acrobat Reader 9.0 and replaced 5.0 as the default application. (Not sure that's a correct use of "application".)  Doing so solved my problem immediately.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2011 6:11 PM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)

Hooray hooray for Foxit and for the person who posted that solution. It worked, it worked! Like a charm. Egg on Adobe's face, for sure.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2011 4:01 AM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)

i am facing this error....so plz help me ...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2011 9:25 PM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)

Hi,

Some times this error pops up when you are using old version of iexplorer.6 / older, Just connect to internet and update your system with latest updates from Microsoft windows update wizard this will take care of those kind of errors, I have faced this at my work today and uninstall / reinstall run the cleaner but nothing has resolved my problem, only when I have updated windows then I could be able to overcome my issue.

Regards,

Saradhy

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2011 10:28 AM   in reply to Saradhy_Roy

I have the same error ONLY after the Adobe Updater made a change to my Captivate installation; CS5 had dbeen working fine for months about two months.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2011 10:42 AM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)

I'am seing the same problem at my church. The secretarty prepares the church bulletin in PDF format and sends it to the pastor for his reveiw. If she sends it by his normal email address at AOL and he tries to open it it fails. If she sends it using the ISP and he uses OUTLOOK to open it it works fine. I upgraded his ADOBE RDR from 9.x to 10.1 and it still fails. If I copy the attachment to his hard disk and then try to open it it still fails indicating the damage has already been done. This leaves Microsofts IE browser or AOL as the culprit.

My next plan of attack is to try opening the file using FIREFOX browser. I saw on another post some suggestions for the IE concerning the cache and emptying t files I may try. Will have to wait until the offic eis open next Tues.  

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2011 4:11 PM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)

You would think that an adobe forums topic like this would get more attention from the developers in Fremont. From Jan 2008 when this complaint was posted to Feb 2011 when MichaelKazlow provided the correct analysis, 3 years had elapsed. However, this problem goes back much further and deeper than we can possibly imagine.

The failure of Adobe Systems to honor predecessor products with a graceful compatibility fallback is certainly a tradition that goes back at least to the Acrobat product of the mid-late 20th century (ca 1995). Then it was easy to excuse a promising new company of a careless oversight. Now, the ire runs deeper, and we should probably question this management culture.

As noted by Mr Kazlow, newer versions of adobe pdf creation products may deliberately (or inadvertently) create pdfs that cannot be read by earlier versions. While it is often true that upgrading a product version can overcome such 'file is damaged' error conditions, isn't that really the job of the software engineer? After all, it is an engineering choice, to honor or to dishonor one's predecessors and one's customers. Or rather, it is an engineering decision unless that decision is compromised by the micromanaging beancounter elite (MBE).

In a possibly related issue, some PDF Reader customers who upgraded have found their "file associations" altered during installation. This creates a similar 'file has been damaged' error, even on a new reader because, for example, Adobe Reader does not actually read jpg's unless they have been converted to pdf's. Of course, there are many free pdf converters available nowadays if you want to do that sort of thing. Despite the potential cross-platform utility of a universal document encoder and a companion reader that can provide some encryption security to control modification, copying, or even printing a document, the price of this can be a lot like Microsoft Office products that lock up your data in someone else's "software vault" and require that you use their "software keys" to gain access.

Trouble accessing pdf's as attachments from various webmail services has been reported on this forum also. While it is possible that a file is corrupted in transit, it is highly unlikely. Many webmail providers are scanning attachments for spyware and viruses, and pdf's can now execute javascript, thereby making them vulnerable to infection. If you are having trouble with a pdf that you originate, just zip-it and send a compressed zip file instead of the raw pdf file.

• Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

• Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

• Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 7:29 PM   in reply to (Tess_Beaumont)

I was told once by a tech. who prepared a PDF that I couldn't read (and got this error) that it was because my encryption level was not the same as his and that on his end, he had to lower the encryption level.  Honestly, I'm thinking it just means he saved it to a version of Adobe that just doesn't play nice with Adobe Pro 8.3.1 that I use.  But can anyone corroborate what this tech told me?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)