Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

unable to install adobe reader

Apr 3, 2008 7:33 AM

when I try to intall adobe reader I get a message that the internet encountered a problem with a add on. the add on is gp.ocx. it is an adobe add on. how do I get past this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2008 12:56 AM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    I never heard of this. A bit of background would help - Adobe Reader version, operating system? Do you use the full installer, or the download manager?

Also, if you are on Windows, do you install as an Administrator or limited user?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2008 11:39 AM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    I have the same issue. Has there been a solution posted?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2008 11:47 AM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    I am using Windows XP Pro... as Administrator.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2008 10:13 AM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    I get "Error 1606.Could not access network location %USERPROFILE%\FAVORITES\." when the Adobe Download Manager is attempting to install Adobe 7.0 update after the download is complete. Can anyone tell me how to correct this?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2008 4:46 PM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    My Adobe Reader 8 has been working just fine since downloading it las year. This past week it stopped printing PDF documents saying "it can't start print job. Is printer available?" Yes, my printer is available and will print all other documents that are not PDF. When this problem first appeared, I tried to download the reader again bu now says I need a patch. I have not uninstalled the first Adobe Reader 8 download and I still have Acrobat 6 & 7 in my program files. I am 70 years and can't figure this out. I don't even know if I can find my way back to this forum. Please email me direct at kittypause2@aol.com

I really need some help here. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2008 8:09 PM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    I too am experiencing this problem. IE 7 crashed as well. Using Win XP Pro, administrator priviledges, using the full installer, no Adobe downloader.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2008 9:37 PM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    Did you receive a response to your demand? I have the same problem but no solution now. Please if there is someone who can answer to this, help us.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2008 9:39 PM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    HELP! I try to download adobe reader and all is freeeze. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2008 1:00 PM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    Rob
    Older Adobe Reader has been Corrupted. Adobe Reader 8.1.2 remedies this.
    Try to remove them by using "Control Panel"--"Add/ Remove Programs"
    If they cannot be removed O.K.-- the following should "FIX"
    1. I use GOOGLE
    Type in "WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY"
    2. When results appears, look for "support.microsoft.com DESCRIPTION OF WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY"----click
    3. When page opens, scroll down to "Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility Now. (You can read instructions or not)
    4. When "File Download-Security Warning" box appears, Click "RUN"
    5. After download completes,--Open "Programs" look for "WINDOWS INSTALL CLEANUP"---Click to open
    6. When "Box" opens, look for 8.1.1 or any Adobe Reader and Click (HIGHLIGHT)
    CAUTION-CAUTION DO NOT HIGHLIGHT ANY OTHER PROGRAM
    7. At bottom of box Click-"REMOVE"
    8. Go back to "Control Panel", "Add/Remove Programs"---Adobe Reader should not be there.
    8. Now "download" ADOBE READER 8.1.2

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2008 8:21 PM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    I cannot install Adobe 8.1.2 - I keep getting the message "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again or enter alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'AdbeRdr810_en_US.mis' I have searched my PC and this package does not exist. Tried a system restore but cannot go back far enough to correct this due to some problems we had earlier. Can anyone tell me how to re-install this package? I am about to go insane trying to find anything relating to this!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2008 12:16 AM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    Adobe reader would not install--spent hours trying to load/reload. Finally, went to Control Panel, add/remove programs, removed getplus. Within 15 minutes reloaded and had Adobe 8 running.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2008 8:24 AM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    I have a Mac OS 10.3 Panther and need to update the Adobe Reader I have from 2.0.0.44 I cannot find a download in English of 7.0 which I believe is compatible with my current OS. Please help.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2008 8:58 AM   in reply to (Julia_K_Harris)
    Have you tried the regular Adobe page
    http://www.adobe.com/acrobat/readstep2.html ?

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2008 11:36 AM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    I have tried the regular avenues trying to download from the Adobe website. They are supplying versions there that will work on my operating system only in Swedish, not English. Really. I called their tech support. The Indian on the helpline could not help me and referred me as a last resort to the forums page.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2008 11:50 AM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    Julia.

Not sure what is happening but if you followed Aandi's link, you "should" end up at the download site that would only have English versions.

What do you see when you get there?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2008 8:51 PM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    What causes this problem when trying to update or install Adobe Reader?
    Error 1406: Could not write value to key
    /Software\Classes\TypeLib\ {a bunch of stuff}
    Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2008 6:10 AM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    Hello

I send you this e-mail because because I did not find an answer in the forums ADOBE about the problem I encounter

I have a SONY laptop under WINDOW XP2 which was equipped with series of version 7 of ADOBE READER.
    To upgrade this version, I downloaded the new version official ADOBE READER 8.1.2 in french
    I execute the file relating thereto, and I have a message that pops up:
    "Could not write value in the key
    \ Software \ Classes \ AcroIHelper.AcroIEHLprObj.1.1
    Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support. "

There is a user account and it is well stated as administrator of the computer
    I also tried to run this file with right click and run as ... (Administrator) but it is still impossible to install the new version

Could you help me to resolve this problem

I thank uou in advance

Jean Claude FLOUR

jcnflour@orange.fr

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2008 7:39 AM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    I get to the installation page and select my version of my Mac OS. That is Step 1 of 2. When I click "continue", nothing happens. Through another route I can get an installation page which asks for the language. English is the default selection. There is an open box in which to type my operating system info. The box will not take any characters. I have tried both these pages numerous times to no avail. I have never been able to get to "Step 2." Those download sites could just as well be a stone wall with no chisel available. The help line person could not suggest any reason why it would not work.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2008 8:29 AM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    Julia.

Try getting it here http://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/8.x/8.1.2/enu/AdbeRdr812_en _US.exe

This is the full installer so if you have a slow connection, it may take a while.

As for the rest of you, I don't know how you expect to get answers by burying your questions in a large and unrelated thread. Try starting a new thread or search the forum. For instance, Ed, if you simply searched for "1406" you'd find a large thread with your fix in it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2008 9:43 AM   in reply to (Julia_K_Harris)
    > There is an open box in which to type my operating system info. T

This should be a pull-down list, not an open box. What browser are you
    using?

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2008 12:23 PM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    I cannot open pdf documents with Adobe. I have 8.1.1 installed. I cannot un-install it in Add or Remove Programs! I get an error message stating, "This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package". HUH???
    I also cannot install a newer version because I can't un-install the other one!
    What can I do?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2008 12:33 PM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    To Carl who posted on April 7 - Thank you a thousand times!! :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2008 12:56 AM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    I am having the same problem when trying to download Adobe Reader 8 and it's driving me nuts. The message just says" problem running gp.ocx" In the depths of Southern England I can't get Broadband and have taken 12 hours trying various downloads but no use. Pls can someone help?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2008 10:25 AM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    I can't un-install Adobe Reader in Add or Remove Programs! I get an error message stating, "This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package".
    I also cannot install a newer version because I can't un-install the other one!
    What can I do?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2008 11:21 AM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    Doris.

Have you tried Carls Lamberts advice in post #9?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2008 8:22 PM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    when i try to install reader 8.1.2 the installation freezes at 10.5%. i've tried many times, and i've uninstalled the previous version (7.x) and even other Adobe products. any ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2008 12:00 PM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    if you have the older version of adobe reader & you get this error you could try to remove the pervious version, if you are not able to remove the previous version, open this website http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301, then download the unsitaller software, then remove the reader, restart the computer, then install the software,

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2008 7:27 AM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    Thank you so much Carl. Problem solved in a couple of minutes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2008 7:21 AM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    unable to install the adobe reader 7.

when i trying to install, i got following error message.
    "
    Access is denied.

File: instmsiw.exe
    Errorcode: 5.361.03.2.2312
    Please send the error code to http://www.adobe.com/misc/bugreport.html
    "

Kindly help me to solve this issue.

Thanks
    Mohan

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2008 6:50 AM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)
    I cant install adobe reader 8.1.1. It says to remove other programs. So then I tried to remove 7.0.8 from my computer and a message appears. "This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exist and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."
    Please help me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2009 6:57 PM   in reply to (Donna_Riedlinger)

This may well go down as my most frustrating time since finally getting a divorce..Yes it is that muxh pain folks..Like the appx 12 million others effected by your quaint but not working for  beans Reader 9.01..I cannot get rid of the turd so another one that will pobably be as annoying as this thing is..here is the love note I receivewhen trying to do spmething very difficult I presume- goof yjing I have not hiven up muy sddiction to whiskey amd cig,,otherwise I'd be a real mess by now-

ERROR 2203 DATEBASE

C\WINDOWS\INSTALLER

2707B4.ipi

CANNOT OPEN DATEBASE FILE

SYSTEM ERROR

2147280735......THERE YOU HAVE IT...PLEASE MAKE  THIS THING WORK GUYS..OR...ISSUE PREPARATION H TO ALL CUSTOMERS

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2009 8:34 PM   in reply to longryder

You can remove traces of Reader by using the Microsoft Installer Cleanup tool. Then you can decide if you are better off without it (remove the directory) or re-install.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)