Skip navigation
This discussion is locked
Currently Being Moderated

How to save ONE single page of pdf document?

Aug 19, 2008 1:13 PM

I have a 115 page pdf document that I can open in Adobe Reader. I want to email just ONE page of this file to someone. How do I save just that one page from the file (as opposed to sending the entire pdf document)?

I know, lame question. Thanks for any help!
Angela

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 19, 2008 1:17 PM   in reply to (thebeljur)
    Adobe Reader isn't an editor, and can't do this.

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2008 1:55 PM   in reply to (Aandi_Inston)
    That's a bit brusque, Aandi. In Reader 9, at least, the marquee tool
    is quite capable of marking and copying a single page ready to be
    sent to someone else. The result of the marquee operation can be
    pasted as is into an email message, or it could be pasted into Paint
    or Notepad or Word or whatever, saved and attached to an email.
    That's what the tool is for.
    --
    Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2008 2:21 PM   in reply to (thebeljur)
    I have tried to do this before and have never found a way to do it. That's not saying you can't but I don't think it's possible.

Although Noel has posted a good response that I will be trying out.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2008 2:43 PM   in reply to (thebeljur)
    Aandi wasn't being "brusque" at all.

>the marquee tool is quite capable of marking and copying a single page ready to be sent to someone else.

Sure. This can be done but, all you will be doing is sending a low grade image of the PDF wrapped inside of a file created by an application they may or may not have to someone. It will not be a PDF and can not be opened in Reader. The OP could easily take a screen shot if they had wanted that.

If you want to single out one page, intact and send as a PDF then, no, Reader can't do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2008 12:53 AM   in reply to ~graffiti
    That's true enough, but Angela didn't say anything about wanting to
    send a pdf of that one page. If someone asked me for some info I
    happened to have in a long PDF, then I would - as you suggest - just
    email a screenshot of the page (as a jpg or png, which anyone should
    be able to handle), or extract the text and send that if images
    weren't essential. Just saying 'Reader can't do this' might have
    caused Angela to send the whole 115-page file, a silly waste of
    resources if it wasn't necessary. I know there are many posters here
    who don't realize the limitations of a free document reader and who
    need to have them explained, but it's not really helpful to ignore a
    solution which has a good chance of meeting the OP's requirements. I
    didn't mean to be rude.
    --
    Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2008 1:47 AM   in reply to Ildhund
    This is a good point, and one I will try to bear in mind. It would be
    inconceivable to me to send a picture of a page of a document, but it
    may well meet many people's needs.

Aandi Inston

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2008 7:37 AM   in reply to (Aandi_Inston)
    The problem with the proposed solution is that there are too many one
    off solutions:

You can print a single page, but it in an envelope and mail it. [The
    first that came to my mind]

You can print a single page, scan it and send it in an email.

You can put the page on screen (hi-res or low res), take a picture with
    a digital camera, connect the camera to the computer take the jpg and
    email. I've actually seen this one done.

You can download cutepdf, print the page to pdf.

You can use ghostscript (which is what cutepdf really does if memory
    serves me correctly), print the page to pdf and email it.

The list goes on. Can you use Reader to save a single page the answer is
    not really in the sense most users mean. You cannot really send the
    solitary page. You can transform the page in many different ways and
    send that, but you are not sending the original pdf page.

Pedantically yours...Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2008 9:28 AM   in reply to (thebeljur)
    Hi Angela,

I don't know what a marquee tool is, but I would just copy and paste the page in Notepad or Word and send that as an attachment or just copy the page and paste it directly into the email.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 12:37 AM   in reply to (Nimsy)

I use LaTeX (pdflatex) to do this. The package pdfpages can do what you want:

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage[final]{pdfpages}

\begin{document}

\includepdf[pages={<page number>}]{<path to pdf document>}

\end{document}

For example:

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage[final]{pdfpages}

\begin{document}

\includepdf[pages={11}]{./mypdfdocument.pdf}

\end{document}

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2011 7:37 PM   in reply to (thebeljur)

Bring up your source PDF in Acrobat.  Click the Thumbnails tab so that you see representations of the individual pages.  On the source document right-mouse click the page you want, choose Extract... and the page(s) you want.  It will create a new PDF document that you may then File -> Save.

I don't know if this would work, but you could try to bring up the source document, choose File -> Print.  Select a print range that only includes the page you want then select the Adobe PDF Writer as the output printer.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2011 8:51 PM   in reply to JustinCase.ftw

The original poster has Reader, not Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2011 8:56 PM   in reply to ~graffiti

So the OP can try the second suggestion.  It may actually work.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2011 6:45 AM   in reply to JustinCase.ftw

JustinCase.ftw wrote:

So the OP can try the second suggestion.  It may actually work.

Yeah, if they have Acrobat and they don't so no, they can't.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2011 8:14 AM   in reply to ~graffiti

Okay, so in having this dialog we've highlighted for the OP and others who are searching for problem resolution that...

* Adobe Reader does not have this feature

* Adobe Acrobat has this feature

I might then suggest that he/she take the document into Google Documents and manage/save it in this manner.

Personally I like Adobe Acrobat and think it's worth the price if you do enough work with it.  When, however, simple tasks are removed from the teaser version I think that it may be worthwhile to do any (free) work-arounds that are available.  Years ago it was difficult to find this functionality unless Adobe was providing the solution.  Now that's not the case.  I would suggest that Adobe start rolling more features into the teaser version as well as fixing what appears to be a variety of problems that affect PDF developers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2011 7:09 AM   in reply to JustinCase.ftw

I have Adobe reader only, in order to send one page of a document I took your second suggestion with a small modification: Install a print to PDF (Mac computers already come with one installed, for Windows I use doPDF), go to the page you want in the PDF, select file print current page and choose the PDF printer setup by the print to PDF software.. this will in effect 'print' that one page to PDF format and there you have it a PDF of just one page of the document.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2011 5:46 PM   in reply to kmboston

> "I have Adobe reader only, in order to send one page of a document I took your second suggestion with a small modification: Install a print to PDF (Mac computers already come with one installed, for Windows I use doPDF), go to the page you want in the PDF, select file print current page and choose the PDF printer setup by the print to PDF software.. this will in effect 'print' that one page to PDF format and there you have it a PDF of just one page of the document."

Good thinking.  I have a Mac, too, and often print to PDF from it as well.  I'd not thought of this as an option (printing a selection or the current page) but that sounds like a great work-around.

--------

I just keep coming up with more and more things that Adobe Acrobat 5 could do (like create/edit forms) that Adobe Acrobat Professional 7 can't do.  I'm working at someone's desk now who has Acrobat Professional 7 and it can't simply add form elements to an existing PDF document.  It forces you to use another program by Adobe like Designer.  And then in Designer when you attempt to import the same PDF it then barfs and destroys the graphic elements that were embedded in the original form.

How can a company get this bad in the span of a few years?  Earlier versions worked simply and well (enough).  The new stuff routinely won't do the most simple tasks.  This is ridiculous.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2011 1:21 AM   in reply to JustinCase.ftw

The second part of your post does not belong here, as it relates to Acrobat, not to Reader.

What you saw is because the form you had was initially created in LiveCycle Designer, and is therefore not editable in Acrobat self.

Acrobat Pro 7 (and later versions) is 100% capable of creating and editing Acrobat Forms.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2011 2:08 AM   in reply to JustinCase.ftw

>> "I have Adobe reader only, in order to send one page of a document I took your second suggestion with a small modification: Install a print to PDF (Mac computers already come with one installed, for Windows I use doPDF), go to the page you want in the PDF, select file print current page and choose the PDF printer setup by the print to PDF software.. this will in effect 'print' that one page to PDF format and there you have it a PDF of just one page of the document."

>"Good thinking.  I have a Mac, too, and often print to PDF from it as well.  I'd not thought of this as an option (printing a selection or the current page) but that sounds like a great work-around."

I just tried this on the Mac and there is one small detail worth mentioning, Adobe Reader somehow intercepts the Save as a PDF command and puts up a dialog box saying that "Saving a PDF file when printing is not supported."   Therefore, one must use the Finder to Get Info (Cmd-I) on the file in question and change the "Open with" property from Adobe Reader.app to Apple's Preview.app.  Then, after closing the Get Info window, double clicking on the file to launch Preview, one can Save as a PDF from the Print Dialog box.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2011 2:40 PM   in reply to rfbrost2

rfbrost,

Excellent! Thanks.

:-)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2011 3:17 PM   in reply to (thebeljur)

If you're on a mac forget about Acrobat on Lion (maybe even Snow Leopard and Leopard too). I ran into this issue on Lion so here I am....

you have to go through the routine of "printing to",, With Acrobat go to the printer preferences panel > select pdf, select save as pdf... only to find you cannot and get some even more riduclous and useless pop up telling you to chose file save as.... which only lets you save the entire document! Utter

waste of time and space...and not what you are after.

Solution... Open the pdf with Preview, then Cmd + P will bring up the same dialog box mentioned above with pdf down bottom left... First enter the page number into the pages option's From dialog... eg From 40 to 40 (= page 40 only) then hit the pdf bitton and dave as,,, Works perfectly with Preview but no chance with Acrobat!!!! I am starting to get the feeling that this product is fast becoming redundant as it seemingly is not up to basic operations such as printing or saving off a single page anymore. Plenty of freeware solutions are now available on the net - some of which I am quite sure would handle this... but since preview is installed on mac by default.... why not?

After all this have a good think abou whether you will or even need to Upgrade Acrobat the next time round. It seems the more 'advanced' Adobe get the more useless certain products are becoming.... Don't know if it's just me...

UPDATED Sept 11

Seems there is a way to print a single page with Acrobat X.. but not at all as straightforward as mentioned above...

You need to go View>Tools> Extract, then select the page you want and save it as a seperate pdf. Then open the new pdf and print that... Wonderfully intuitive on Adobe' s part....

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 8:45 AM   in reply to (thebeljur)

This is so easy!!!

In the left hand of the document are three buttons.

First one is "Pages"

Second one is "Bookmarks"

Third one is "Signatures"

Click on the "Pages", this will bring up the thumbnails of all the pages in the left hand screen

Now lets say you have 150 and you only want to send page 12 via email. You need to save page 12 as it's own document.

Find page 12 in the thumbnail, Right click with your mouse, click on the "Extract Pages"

a screen will pop up and it will ask From _______ To ________ of________Pages

Going with the example here, You would type in From "12" To "12" of "150"Pages

Then a new screen will pop up and it will be that page "12", Save it and now your ready to send.

Very easy

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 8:49 AM   in reply to LinnJamar

It's "very easy" if you have Acrobat. It's impossible if you have Reader, which is what we're talking about here...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 8:54 AM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

O well I’m sure there is something like that with “Reader” all people have to do is play around with the program and they will figure it out. I didn’t know how to do anything with Adobe Acrobat but I learned by just messing around. Of Course you could always down load the trail version on Adobe Acrobat and do it that way

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 8:57 AM   in reply to LinnJamar

You shouldn't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about.

There's no point in "playing around" in Reader looking for this function.

It's simply not there.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 9:00 AM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

I bet it is..And I know what Im talking about I just haven’t had reader on my computer for awhile. But once Im off work , I will download it and mess around with it and figure it out and let you know.

☺ no point of being rude.!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 9:12 AM   in reply to LinnJamar

OK, how much are you willing to bet, then?

I'm willing to put $50 on it that you can't extract any pages in Adobe Reader.

The only thing that is possible is to delete the other pages, but only if the file has a very special right applied to it with the LC Reader Extensions Server.

So, are we on?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 9:15 AM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

Well I have 7 kids and one on the way, don’t have money to bet..I’m a poor girl! But I am well educated and just for the satisfaction I will make a bet but not for money.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 9:16 AM   in reply to LinnJamar

OK, I'll wait for the exact instructions you will surely provide on how to do it...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 9:17 AM   in reply to LinnJamar

LinnJamar wrote:

I will make a bet but not for money.

That's a good decision since you're going to lose the bet.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 9:18 AM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

How about…..

Open a PDF document in Reader.

Click the "Tools" menu. Click "Select & Zoom," then "Snapshot Tool." Use this tool if you want to save individual pages containing text and images.

Click the "View" menu, then "Zoom," then "Fit to Page." This will ensure the Snapshot tool captures the entire page.

Click anywhere on the page you want to save. Click "OK" when prompted to confirm the selection has been copied. The page is automatically copied to the clipboard as an image.

Open a blank document in another application, such as Microsoft<http://www.ehow.com/how_7157308_save-individual-pages-adobe-reader.htm l> Word or WordPad. Click "Ctrl+V" to paste the image of the PDF page. Save the document.

Yeah I’m sure there is something easier. Even if you have to export it to Microsoft, you can still save the page as a PDF

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 9:21 AM   in reply to LinnJamar

You can also take a digital camera, take a picture of the screen, print it out, scan it and make a PDF of it, but that doesn't mean you extracted the page, just that you made a (bad and partial) copy of it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 9:30 AM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

That is true…Im telling you I will figure it out .. just give me a few!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 12:39 PM   in reply to (thebeljur)

C,mon folks! We're here to help each other solve problems.

Follow rfbrost2 solution. It worked for me!

Have a Superb day! :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2011 11:15 AM   in reply to (thebeljur)

If you go to "Document," there is an "Extract Pages..." option that lets you pull out exactly the pages that you want from the rest of the pdf file. Once you extract the specific pages that you need, you may save them seperately and you will be good to go!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2011 12:16 PM   in reply to minkkim2000

Um...no. There isn't. That option requires Adobe Acrobat, not Adobe Reader which the original poster is discussing.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2011 1:41 PM   in reply to ~graffiti

~graffiti wrote:

Um...no. There isn't. That option requires Adobe Acrobat, not Adobe Reader which the original poster is discussing.

If I had any power around here, I would close this thread. The same suggestions have been offered several times since 2008, including the ones involving the use of Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2011 1:58 PM   in reply to Claudio González

I noticd that. Every now and then a random person will come along and make an off the wall suggestion.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2011 2:05 PM   in reply to ~graffiti

What bothers me is to see the same off the wall suggestions posted again and again...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2011 8:11 PM   in reply to (thebeljur)

What worked for me before on August 7, as per rfbrost2 above, doesn't anymore. My printer has been changed and doesn't give me that Print to PDF one page option anymore. I'm using MacOSX10.5.8 and Reader 10.0.1.

What changed?

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)