Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

adobe reader printing: A4 vs US letter

Oct 16, 2007 4:45 AM

Hi, I'm using Adobe Reader 8.1.1 on Linux (Red Hat enterprise Linux 4). Printers are defined on a remote CUPS-server.

As I'm not in US/Canada, I have printers which use sensible paper: A4 ;-)
The CUPS server has ppd files which define the default paper size as A4,
and that size is confirmed if I use the "kprinter" command to look at the properties of each CUPS-defined printer.

If in Adobe Reader 8, I view an A4-size PDF document, I can confirm it's A4 by looking at File -> Properties. If I then go to File -> Print, then there are several oddities:

1) with the "Choose paper source by PDF page size" unchecked, the page size shown by the Preview box on the right-hand-side shows US-letter size dimensions;

2) if I then continue to actually print, the printer LCD screen confirms that the Adobe Reader is trying to use US Letter size paper, and in the case of one make of printer, refuses to print it.

3) If I try to get more information about what Adobe Reader thinks about the printer by clicking on Properties next to the printer selection, nothing happens.

4) If I check the "Choose paper source by PDF page size" box, then all is well and the print does come out as A4. However, that ticked box is not remembered for next time, so the user is perpetually having to remember to check that box.

This problem appeared in later versions of Adobe Reader 7, but was not present in version 7.0.1, which was probably not CUPS-aware.

I suspect a problem with dealing with the information retrieved via CUPS. Does anyone know of a circumvention, or a fix?? Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 18, 2007 6:20 AM   in reply to (Lawrence_Lowe)
    Hello Lawrence,<br /><br />We haven't been able to reproduce the problem mentioned by you, namely that the default printer properties (for Page Size) are not being picked up by the Reader.<br /><br />Could you please let us know your email address? We'll contact you when we have more details about this issue.<br /><br />The other issue you faced, that of the "Printer properties" dialog not being launched at all on clicking the "properties" button, is not expected either. Could you please confirm that the cups library is being loaded by acroread?<br /><br />For this, run "strace -f -o <log_filename> acroread". Open a pdf, launch the print dialog and click on the properties button. Then check the contents of the log-file and search for "libcups". If there is a successful "open" call to it, the library was loaded, otherwise it wasn't.<br /><br />Could you also let us know the cups version you have? It can be checked by running "cups-config --api-version".<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />Sincerely,<br />Neha

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2007 5:14 AM   in reply to (Lawrence_Lowe)
    Hello,

If you would like to be a part of the pre-release program for the next release of Adobe Reader on Unix, please contact Anupam Garg (agarg at adobe dot com), the Program Manager for this project.

Thanks!

Neha

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2007 5:33 PM   in reply to (Lawrence_Lowe)
    hello,

i have converted drawing files to pdf. when i open reader 7, i cannot find an option to display on something other than 8x11. i wish to save the drawings as 24x36.

michael

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2007 5:33 PM   in reply to (Lawrence_Lowe)
    hello,

i have converted drawing files to pdf. when i open reader 7, i cannot find an option to display on something other than 8x11. i wish to save the drawings as 24x36.

michael brusse

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2007 2:50 AM   in reply to (Lawrence_Lowe)
    Hello Michael,

You wouldn't be able to save the PDF with a different page size using Adobe Reader. You could modify the page size in the application you used to create the PDFs.
    You could usse Adobe Reader to print the document with a different page size to a physical medium (change page size using the printer properties button), by using the "fit to printer margins" scaling option.
    Or you could print to a file (in which case a PostScript would be created) and create a PDF out of it using Acrobat Distiller.

Sincerely,
    Neha

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2007 5:59 PM   in reply to (Lawrence_Lowe)
    Hi,

I have the same problem as Lawrence, regarding printing A4 documents. I have cups 1.2.11 and adobe reader 8.1.1 on linux. when launching the print dialog, the default will be set to Letter. if I then change printer or open the properties (which has the paper size set to a4 without me changing anything) and press OK, the size will set itself to a4. But it always needs one of these intervention.

Has this been solved outside the thread?

From what I can see, it seems to be dependent on the printer driver. I have different systems with the same setup, one at work and two at home, where the differences between them is only the printers. the bug does not appear on my work system (3 canon laser and 1 hp1018) but always appears on my home system (laserjet 4+ postscript driver)

Hope this helps
    GregT

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2007 10:12 PM   in reply to (Lawrence_Lowe)
    Hi Greg,

Please check on your home system(where the bug is reproducible) whether it has a default printer specified on the machine or not.

Can you please tell what distributions are you using for home and work?

Regards,
    Rishi

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2008 2:50 AM   in reply to (Lawrence_Lowe)
    Hi! I'm having the same problem as mentioned above by "Lawrence Lowe" though I also get the problem in Windows.

Is it possible that Reader fetches the configuration of the remotely shared server printer rather than the clients config? Or could it be that it fetches the settings from the current default printer on the client? This problem seems to have arrived with later versions of the application.

This does not only concern a specific printer. It is the same for all of them. The brands differ from HP to Océ to Ricoh.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2008 8:20 AM   in reply to (Lawrence_Lowe)
    I'm having a similar issue. Is there a way to have the option "Choose Paper Source by PDF page size" default to enabled?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2008 7:45 AM   in reply to (Lawrence_Lowe)
    Create print presets
    A PDF can contain a set of print presets, a group of document-specific values that is used to set basic print options. By creating a print preset for a document, you can avoid manually setting certain options in the Print dialog box each time you print the document. Its best to define print settings for a PDF at the time that you create it, but print presets provide a means to add basic print settings to a PDF at any time.

Choose File > Properties, and click the Advanced tab.
    In the Print Dialog Presets section, set options and click OK.
    The next time you open the Print dialog box, the values will be set to the print preset values. These settings are also used when you print individual documents in a PDF package.

Note: To retain a print preset for a PDF, you must save the PDF after creating the print preset.
    Print Dialog Presets
    Page Scaling Prepopulates the Page Scaling option in the Print dialog box with the option you choose:
    Default Uses the application default setting, which is Shrink To Printable Area.

None Prevents automatic scaling to fit the printable area. This setting is useful for preserving the scale of page content in engineering documents, or for ensuring that documents print at a particular point size to be legal.

DuplexMode For best results, the selected printer should support duplex printing if you select a duplex option.
    Simplex Prints on one side of the paper.

Duplex Flip Long Edge Prints on both sides of the paper; the paper flips along the long edge.

Duplex Flip Short Edge Prints on both sides of the paper; the paper flips along the short edge.

Paper Source By Page Size Selects the option by the same name in the Print dialog box. Uses the PDF page size to determine the output tray rather than the page setup option. This option is useful for printing PDFs that contain multiple page sizes on printers that have different-sized output trays.

Print Page Range Prepopulates the Pages box in the Print Range section of the Print dialog box with the page ranges you enter here. This setting is useful in a workflow where documents include both instruction pages and legal pages. For example, if pages 12 represent instructions for filling out a form, and pages 35 represent the form, you can set up your print job to print multiple copies of only the form.

Number Of Copies Prepopulates the Copies box in the Print dialog box. Choose a number from 2 to 5, or choose Default to use the application default, which is one copy. This limitation prevents multiple unwanted copies from being printed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)