• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows XP's /3GB switch messes up Adobe's Open Type Fonts

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2008 Mar 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted an article several minutes ago that I can't find for some reason.
Anyway the problem was Adobes OTF fonts unreadable by windows.

I finally figured out that the problem was due tu /3GB switch.
When I turn it on OTF fonts (link minion....) cannot be read by windows. I remove the switch, restart windows and evething is working fine.

Why is this happening?

Thank you.
TOPICS
Open Type FDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2008 Mar 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dzoge;

Actually, it is not at all surprising. Adding the "/3GB" switch in your boot.ini file does give you more 3Gbytes of addressable user virtual address space instead of 2Gbytes, but it also reduces the address space for the kernel from 2 Gbytes to 1 Gbyte. Fonts are loaded and rasterized in the kernel. Reducing the kernel address space by half makes it much more likely that you will run out of memory for resources needed by the kernel. (Thank you Google - I never heard of the /3GB switch until dzoge's posting.)

I am glad you posted this - I am sure other people will run into this problem, and the cause is not something that would be on most people's list to check.

- Read Roberts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2008 Mar 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. And as I understand I might not have got this problem is I had less fonts installed. I have about 1000 now.

Thanks Read Roberts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 06, 2008 May 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it doesn't work even after removing the switch!
Any other solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2008 Sep 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same problem. I even did not switched 3GB ON but fonts does not work. The problem appeared right after re-installing Windows. Ill be very grateful for help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 04, 2008 Oct 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This is a forum for font developers to discuss using Adobe's font development tools. If you're having problems making regular fonts work, that is best discussed on the forum for type manager & fonts for Windows, or perhaps in the typography forum.

You may also wish to contact Adobe tech support....

Regards,

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines