Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

After Effects error: AE_Open GL

Jun 30, 2008 12:19 PM

Anytime I click on the composition window or timeline, or change any layer attribute, I get the following error:

After Effects error: crash occurred while invoking rendering plug-in "AE_OpenGL"

...then I'm given one chance to rename my After Effects project and then After Effects crashes and closes.

What do I do to avoid this error and continue working in my project? I thought that the file was corrupted, so I created a new project and got the same error.

Any suggestions?!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 1, 2008 12:53 AM   in reply to (Moira_Ballard)
    Turn off OpenGL in the preferences. Clearly your graphics card is not cut out for using it with AE's acceleration features. You may also remove the AE_OpenGL.AEX file from your plugin directory under

C:\Program Files\Adobe\After Effects CS3\Support Files\Plug-ins\Extensions

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2008 9:25 AM   in reply to (Moira_Ballard)
    Thats not always true Mylenium, and no offense, you should be a little more tasteful in your assumptions, "Clearly your graphics card is not cut out for using it with AE's acceleration features."

If you do have a adequate Card, like my Quadro fx 3500, in which I was receiving the same errors, you need to go into Preferences Previews and Click on the OpenGL info button.

Once there bump up the Texture Memory, mine was set at 200 mb, When dealing in HD or larger composition sizes in my case 4k, I found that I needed to bump that memory up to 2000 mb, check you total ram, I'm sure that number is referring to the Ram in which I am running 3.5 gb. Viola No errors. Now I could be wrong and get more errors but that was my fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2008 7:35 PM   in reply to (Moira_Ballard)
    Hi, R.Jason, according to the AE Help, Adobe doesn't recommend allocating more than 80% of the VIDEO RAM to the Texture Memory. Please note that its referring to the VIDEO RAM not your system ram.

Best Regards
    jusko

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2008 10:05 PM   in reply to (Moira_Ballard)
    >Thats not always true Mylenium, and no offense, you should be a
    >little more tasteful in your assumptions, "Clearly your graphics card
    >is not cut out for using it with AE's acceleration features."

Your point is well taken, but forgive me for saying this, your comment regarding tweaked settings must not necessarily provide any betterment, either. OpenGL compatibility is highly complex and simple things like some application specific profile can royally screw you. That doesn't even take care of different physical memory configs on the cards themselves, driver versions and screen layout to begin with. In general I think it is ill-advised to recommend people to do what you have done for a number of reasons. Anyway, your message is heard and understood and I will attempt to not shoot off with my mouth so quickly in the future and instead look into providing alternate solutions. ;-)

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2008 3:31 AM   in reply to (Moira_Ballard)
    What is a good video card to use while running CS3's AE? I'm on my second one and no luck. First was Nvidia now i'm running an ATI card and constantly getting the AE_Open GL error message while scrubbing the time line.
    Shane

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2008 3:39 AM   in reply to (Moira_Ballard)
    Is there a recommended video card while using CS3's AE? I have a Dell Precision T7400 and I'm on my second video card, the first was a NVidia and now i'm running an ATI card. I continue to have issues. Any recommendations?

I'm getting the AE_Open GL error message alot and i've tried to follow some of your suggestions by boosting the texture memory to first 1500mb then 2000mb still the same issue. Then i disabled it and i'm having the same issues....

Any suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2008 10:49 PM   in reply to (Moira_Ballard)
    NVidia Quadro FX 5500 - runs stable like hell on my end. You may find this card extremely cheap some places as it's obviously an older model. Beyond that I'm not sure whether pursuing this on the hardware side of things would have any meaning. You know, CS4 is on its way and your card could run just fine with it even if it may give trouble in CS3... Anyway, even if it sounds lame: Check the knowledge base and support pages for qualified cards. You can find certified cards for CS3 listed there and I'm reasonably sure that the updated CS4 info is in place as well...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2008 3:20 PM   in reply to (Moira_Ballard)
    I'm having OpenGL issues as well, running CS4. Trust me, not a videocard issue, just built this rig. BFG GTX 260 maxcore OCX edition. Should be more than enough to support OpenGL, but there it is.

Removing the ae_OpenGL.aex from the extensions folder solves the issue, putting it back returns the troubles. Already ran through everything on Adobe's openGL errors page, and nothing. Latest drivers and all.

Maybe a corruption in the .aex file? If I could find a clean one and download it, that'd be cool...

Any ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2008 12:54 AM   in reply to (Moira_Ballard)
    That most likely is still a config issue. The plugin being corrupted is extremely improbable. I've been using CS4 for quite a few months now and never have experienced any such a thing... Can you provide a more detailed description of your screen res and other NVidia settings? also make sure to install the latest 178.xx driver. Apparently it resolves a few matters for Photoshop CS4 and may also have the necessary tweaks for AE worked in...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2008 6:12 AM   in reply to (Moira_Ballard)
    Latest drivers are installed--I follow driver updates like a hawk because it tends to mark the release of extremely graphic (and good for benchmarking) game like FarCry 2.

Screen res is 1280x1024. I had the option of buying a widescreen monitor, but then CS4 sucked my money away.

I set all Global Anti-aliasing and Anistropic Filtering settings to Off--used to be on 8x. No-go.

For now I just have GL disabled. Still need to work, after all. Don't know if it could be a problem with the rest of my rig--

Q6600 @ 3.0GHz
    OCZ SLI-Ready 4GB RAM @ 800MHz, self OC to 1066.
    EVGA nForce 780i

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2008 11:54 AM   in reply to (Moira_Ballard)
    Did you try to disable SLI-support in the BIOS and driver? This is known to cause issues with Adobe's implementation of OpenGL - in particular the Photoshop forum is full with pointless complaints about it. The rest sounds fine and the screen res is actually pretty small, so I wouldn't expect issues on that end.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2008 1:07 PM   in reply to (Moira_Ballard)
    Please help!
    I just upgraded my computer from 512 RAM (DDR1) to 2,5 Gig and I had the same problem with the AE_OpenGL plug-in error. I placed that plugin in an other (unrelated) folder and it worked but now I find I have no tekst in my pop-up menus. Like, when I press CTRL+SHIFT+C to precompose 2 layers, the menu that appears has no tekst in it. Same with other pop-up menus. Does anyone know what is wrong or what I did wrong? I wanted to use the methode suggested by R.Jason Clark but the 'Preview' submenu also had no tekst in it.
    (My computer is a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo-P with NVidia graph-card and AMD 64 CPU bought in Feb. 2006)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2008 11:19 PM   in reply to (Moira_Ballard)
    Eddy, did you reset your Windows system caches and settings? If not properly initialized, some components in Windows will work as if nothing has changed because their memory mapping is locked to static addresses. Please try to launch your system at least once in "Safe mode" to reset that config data and force Windows to rebuild its settings. Also check your services and stop/ restart them when it seems necessary. I also recommend you find a system testing tool like e.g. SiSoft Sandra to check your RAM and be sure.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2008 6:31 AM   in reply to (Moira_Ballard)
    Thanks very much Mylenium for those suggestions.
    In the end it wasn't necessary because when I tried again this morning the problem had solved itself. Everything is working normally again but I have no idea what happened. However I wrote your suggestions in my AE book in case it happens again.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2008 6:49 AM   in reply to (Moira_Ballard)
    BTW, what is the function of this AE_OpenGL plugin? I hope it's nothing vital because I still can't run after effects with that plugin installed. I removed it from it's folder and parked it somewhere else.
    I couldn't find anything 'OpenGL' related in my preferences menu. Will it help if I enable Disk Cache and set the memory size to 2 gigs?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2008 7:06 AM   in reply to (Moira_Ballard)
    Well, AE_OpenGL is OpenGL, so if you rip out the plugin, everything related to it is safely disabled. In proper terms: It's a rendering plugin (for which After Effects had a plugin interface for long as used by the Standard 3D/ Advanced 3D thing in pre-CS3 versions, but no one really bothered to exploit it) and it basically forwards and translates pixel rendering requests to the graphics card, in turn requesting to please provide something AE can display. ;-) If you will, it's a detour in the rendering pipeline, but due to ther performance of the graphics card one that nobody will ever perceive as such (barring the "under the hood stuff", which I won#t bore you with)...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2009 8:54 PM   in reply to Mylenium

Howdy -

Ok so I have read through the info on this subject.I have to say it is a little confusing but what else is new. I am getting the crash error repeatedly on the current AE project I am working on. I have not had this error  before and have used the Open GL render on the Render settings with no problem. I am working in a variety of comp sizes as they are graphic animations. I have a brand new computer (2 weeks old) - 64bit Vista - NVidia GeForce 9600 GT card (1280X1024) with 8 gigs of ram. I have not installed any drivers for the video card yet - do I need to? The prompt in photoshop regarding the Open GL leads to issues with photoshop and I am not having any problems with that program. Any suggestions? I don't really want to unistall the plugin as I was hoping to take advantage of it - do I have the wrong video card?

Any info gratefully received!

Penny

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2009 12:12 AM   in reply to Penny Loafer

Penny: Before anything, I suggest you take a look at the technical support document called Troubleshoot OpenGL problems in After Effects CS4

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2009 1:46 AM   in reply to Penny Loafer

Penny Loafer wrote:

I have a brand new computer (2 weeks old) - 64bit Vista - NVidia GeForce 9600 GT card (1280X1024) with 8 gigs of ram. I have not installed any drivers for the video card yet - do I need to?

The question would be, which driver version do you actually have installed. Everything post 181.34 or so should be safe and 185.xx is in Beta. Unfortunately I cannot provide a more specific answer. Even minor steppings in drivers can mean differences in compatibility and so it's basically up to you to find the most compatible one with trial and error. Also, if it's really the graphics card/ OpenGL, you should see crash reports in your diagnostic center. Perhaps they can provide some insight into what is actually causing the issues.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2009 1:40 PM   in reply to Adolfo Rozenfeld

Hi Adolfo and Mylenium,

Thanks for the info - I read over the documentation. AE has enabled Open GL in the preview preferences - so I was assuming the hardware was compatible. However my errors were ocurring while scrubbing the time line (this has only just started by the way - I did it before with no problem) So I disabled the Open GL in preview pref and it has solved the porblem. I checked the driver for the card and 182.08 had been installed when it was orginally set up. So I am assuming that it will be hit and miss whether I can use the Open GL or not - solving error issues by disabling it in preferences- or should I try the latest driver. If I download the next driver version (182.5 is now available) will the old driver be overwritten or do I run the risk of clogging up my system with unwanted drivers. I checked my diagnostic center and there was no report pertaining to issues with the video card.

Cheers,

Penny

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2009 2:37 PM   in reply to (Moira_Ballard)

hi can any one help. I recently upgraded to cs4 still running my old nvidia gt8600. the open gl was working perfect for awhile, only probl. was my boris opengl plugins worn't supported. i did researched and found it was my nvidia driver so I updated it an cool all was working great. after about a week ae started crashing telling me that a texture was to small to render, I have gone through every forum and cant fix this problem. Yes i need to get a decent video card but money is tight and this 1 was working.

any suggestions please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to finish a project

thanks in advance

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2009 1:46 AM   in reply to blikzim.co.za

Please stick to one thread instead of repeating your question all ovber the place and reviving old threads. We will help in any way we can, it's just not productive haveing to track multiple postings.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2010 10:12 PM   in reply to Mylenium

ok i am having the same problem but i dont know what to do am i supposed to delete the AE_OpenGL or what i dont know am i supposed to have a surtin amount of space on my computer or what

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2010 9:07 AM   in reply to ashblood
    > ok i am having the same problem but i dont know what to do am i supposed to delete the AE_OpenGL or what i dont know

You don't need to delete the OpenGL plug-in. You can just move it. See solution #5 here:

"Troubleshoot OpenGL problems in After Effects CS4"

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)