Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Camera Raw update has changed things....

Mar 22, 2009 10:10 AM

I have Canon 40D and I have the DNG converter 4.2, which is recommended for this camera. I also have the Camera Raw plugin version 3.7, which is recommended for CS2. When I would convert an image from to DNG and open it in CS2 as a Camera Raw image, the window would come up and each line under the 'Adjust' tab (starting with exposure) had an individual auto setting that the image was adjusted to. I found this to be very useful because I could just uncheck the bos to see where the original setting was and make much faster adjustments.

Then, a few days ago I get a message that there is an update available and so I run the update and now the settings are different. There is now just the default or auto and when you select auto it changes everything, it is no longer line by line.

Additionally, this update to the Camera Raw is now changed the color of all my photos. When I open the photos in my Canon software they are full of color, but once I convert them to DNG and open them as Camera Raw in CS2 they lose a lot of color. This was not happening prior to this update.

Is this an issue with the DNG converter or an issue with CS2? I have everything Adobe recommends so I don't know why the color would be desaturated so much. The photos look like crap now. This was not an issue before.

I'm wondering if I can go back and take the Camera Raw file I downloaded and replace the updated one. Does anyone recommend this approach? If so, how would I go about this to do it correctly?

Thanks!

Tyler

Replies
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Mar 23, 2009 1:32 AM   in reply to (Tyler_Grundvig)
    >have the DNG converter 4.2, which is recommended for this camera.

Wrong! You should always run the latest version of the DNG Converter, that means 5.3.

All versions support any and all versions supported in earlier versions.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2009 7:03 AM   in reply to (Tyler_Grundvig)
    No, you still don't understand. DNG converter 4.2 might have been the first version that supported your camera. But that doesn't mean that it is the "recommended" version that you should use. The DNG converter is an evolving program, and you should always try to have the latest version. There are constant little changes made to the converter that might be beneficial to you.

I don't understand why you got a message that there was an update. ACR 3.7 was the last version released that was compatible with Photoshop CS2. And there haven't been any updates since, nor will there ever be.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2009 10:36 AM   in reply to (Tyler_Grundvig)
    > this update to the Camera Raw is now changed the color of all my photos

You probably have DNG files converted prior this upgrade. How do they show up in the upgraded ACR?

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Mar 23, 2009 11:38 AM   in reply to (Tyler_Grundvig)
    The Adobe Update Manager (AUM) is like that, it may show you that there is an update available when you already have that same update installed, or it may fail to alert you that there is an update you don't have, or it will fail during the update. I haven't relied on it or used it for years.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)