Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can Adobe premiere rip DVD films and convert them to AVI or MOV format?

May 11, 2008 6:27 AM

Can Adobe premiere CS3 rip DVD films and convert them to AVI or MOV format? If yes, how do you do it using the program please, if not, can anybody suggest a good DVD ripper that I can purchase? Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2008 6:34 AM   in reply to (Kim_Jay)
    1. No.
    2. Google for ripping programs. If I were to use such a program, I would have to be Sly in choosing my Software. I would want my program to be able to rip AnyDVD, like DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW and DVD-RW.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2008 10:13 PM   in reply to (Kim_Jay)
    No, Premiere is not capable of that. Neither is Encore, which, by the way, is the forum you posted this thread in.

If you google "DVD ripping software", you get many hits.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2008 1:31 AM   in reply to (Kim_Jay)
    They should make it in prmiere or encore...
    It will make life more easy and all the files will we compatible with premiere.
    and they will be nr. 1 software for editing (they are already but this way much further away then the rest)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2008 6:52 AM   in reply to (Kim_Jay)
    > They should make it in prmiere or encore...

Absolutely not. Premiere Pro is an editor, suited for editable material. DVD's have already been edited, should not be edited again and are utterly unsuitable for editing. If you want to rip a DVD, use consumer applications.

Use the right tool for the job. If you want to make a call, use a phone, if you want a video, use a video camera, if you want a photograph, use a digital still camera. Don't confuse them or you will end up with crappy material.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2008 8:06 AM   in reply to (Kim_Jay)
    >Use the right tool for the job. If you want to make a call, use a phone, if you want a video, use a video camera, if you want a photograph, use a digital still camera. Don't confuse them or you will end up with crappy material.

:)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2010 1:18 PM   in reply to (Kim_Jay)

As of CS4.2, PrPro can now Import 100% DVD-compliant VOB's. When this was first posted, PrPro did not have that capability, hence Jeff's suggestion. Now, not all DVD-Videos are 100% DVD-compliant. A good example will be DVD's produced by many DVR-DVD machines. Their implementation of Menus and navigation usually mess things up. To date, I've not seen anyone having issues with any DVD created in Encore, though with some other authoring apps, all bets are off.

With the non-compliant DVD's, then ripping is about the only choice, or capturing through a player hooked to an A-D device (maybe even your video camera if it has pass-through) to capture software.

Thanks for the reference to Handbrake. I have not used it, but hear of it often.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2010 3:09 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I looked at Handbrake and, unless I am mistaken, you must pay every 2 years or it expires... not something I would ever buy, if I had to buy it again every 2 years

Also... verify that whatever you use will work with CSS (is that the name?) protection... Digital Media Converter will NOT

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2010 8:32 PM   in reply to John T Smith

John T.,

All of my VOB's are not copy protected in any way - fortunately. If I have to work with them, they are provided by clients, who "lost" the original material, and DVD-Videos are all that are available. There are programs, that will help by-pass Copy Protection, but I never need them.

I've never looked at Handbrake, but I agree with you. If I buy something, I want to be able to use it, until I upgrade it. Thanks for that info.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2014 11:06 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

I know this is years later, but this made me laugh.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)