Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

internal software error: .\EditorTemplates.cpp, line 698

Mar 12, 2006 8:31 PM

This project is due to my client tomorrow. Not thinking in my right mind I decided to install Production Studio Premium in the middle of working on a big project. I've tried to Google the error but I'm not coming up with anything:

"internal software error: .\EditorTemplates.cpp, line 698"

This appears while building my disc or .iso image just after reaching the "Analyzing Project" phase of the build progress.

This project is only 2 menus with 4 total timelines. One of the menus uses both motion background and audio.

HELP!!!!!!

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 13, 2006 7:18 AM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    Suggestion:

• Backup all your project files and write down the full path name (drive and folder) of their original location (in case anything goes wrong).
    • Uninstall, reboot and re-install Encore.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2006 1:25 PM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    I'm having the same EditorTemplates.cpp line 698 error. I purchased Adobe Production Studio, which I believe has to be installed all at once (premiere, audition, encore, photoshop). There has to be a fix to this problem without going through and uninstall / reinstall of the entire suite.

Out of curiosity, did un/re-installing fix the original poster's error?

TIA

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2006 9:51 PM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    Well, you wish more testing is beeing done.
    For the solution. look at General Error! post
    it should work also for conversion issues 1.0/1.5 to2.0

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2006 10:47 AM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    I am getting this same message when I try to open/import a file which was created in a previous version of the software. Do you happen to have any thoughts on this? I have a dvd with a large amount of menues and sub menus. I would rather not create the whole navigational system again.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2006 11:54 AM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    Thanks for the thought Joshua. I talked to Tech Support and we may have found a problem. The file was created in version 1.5. I then downloaded the trial version off the website for 2.0 and made a few changes that I could not fix with 1.5. I saved the file (but did not "save as") and tried to burn it. Of course, the trial version does not burn. So...I bought the full version and tried to open the file. However, the trial version creates a different framework or something like that and anything created from the trial versions can not be imported into the full version!!! I now have to start from scratch on the DVD with 40 or move menus and sub-menues, voice overs and more.

I am very bummed.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2006 4:40 PM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    >Of course, the trial version does not burn. So...I bought the full version and tried to open the file. However, the trial version creates a different framework or something like that and anything created from the trial versions can not be imported into the full version!!!

The trial version does burn, and it's the same version as the release version.

Something else is wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2006 6:18 AM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    I had the same error message on a project that I created under 2.0 . I solved it by creating a copy and deleting all assets one by one until the render command would work. I don't know what the root cause was but the problem was resolved when I deleted a sideshow and re-created it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2006 7:14 PM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    I am having this same issue and this is with a completely new project I built today from scratch. I'm going to try and rebuild the project from scratch and see if that fixes it... unfortunately my boss isnt going to be too pleased tomorrow when I give him the news.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2006 4:16 PM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    Im getting the same error out of the blue. Why is Encore the most unstable of all Adobe Apps?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2006 8:04 PM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    I called Adobe support and was able to get to a technician without charge due to this call being the result of an error message and a recent installation. The tech seemed to know immediately about the issue and even said there is a paper in the knowledgebase (I'm away on my laptop and don't have the number of the paper).

It came down to entering an overide of the link which is almost never necessary and the easiest way to explain is that after telling Encore what to do at the end of the video, you are telling it do do something else instead and "confusing it." The other issue was that instead of using return to last menu which he said is for use in a series of menus, instead I should specify the menu I want to return to. There was a question about motion but since I was not using motion settings I'm not sure what that issue was. But the summary is: make sure you're only giving one choice for an end action and don't use an overide, and make sure to specificy which menu even if there is only one when you return to a menu. When I did this it worked like a charm. Hope this helps you too. Until calling I thought my menus and choices were perfect, accurate and correct. But after these changes things did work.
    Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2006 2:17 AM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    Ken,

When you are back at your laptop, could you post that Knowledgebase number? :)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2006 4:11 AM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    That would be useful.
    I just tried to find this info, and failed completely.
    Whilst Over-rides can cause severe navigational problems, it is very rare for them to throw template errors, unless you have things set up to perform spec violating operations - but this should be flagged at project check. It will be really, really useful to know the knowledgebase number.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2006 4:08 PM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    Ken,
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

It was the override options on my timelines causing this problem for me, you just saved my deadline.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2006 2:13 PM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    Gents I am actually here with a valued client who took a nap during my frustration...the tip worked swimmingly and i am burning out my transcoded work...VIVA!!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2006 5:54 AM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    I had a similar problem coming up on and off. Finally figured out that the "Return to Last Menu" End action for a timeline is the culprit.

Don't Use it. Although that creates a problem if you are using a timeline in multiple menus (for whatever reason), then you have to explicitly set the end action to a specific menu. Don't know how to resolve this - but at least the project does not fail this way :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2006 5:08 AM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    Worked perfectly for me. Again I had overide settings pointing to Last Menu. Deleted them and I am up and running!!! THANKYOU

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2006 9:16 PM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    > Sandeep Shah - 6:54am Oct 7, 06 PST (#17 of 18)

> I had a similar problem coming up on and off. Finally figured out that the "Return to Last Menu" End action for a timeline is the culprit.

> Don't Use it. Although that creates a problem if you are using a timeline in multiple menus (for whatever reason), then you have to explicitly set the end action to a specific menu. Don't know how to resolve this - but at least the project does not fail this way

I hit this problem today and found taking out the Return to last menu did not help a bit.

I found that deleting the chapter playlist, then recreating it(The same by all I could tell). Would eliminate the problem.

Are there others who are seeing this problem? How are you dealing with it.

Does it qualify as a geniune bug?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2006 7:22 AM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    The following settings for the timeline cleared the error for multiple projects for me: Override set to "Not Set" and End Action and Menu remote set to "Return to Last Menu".

I was getting the error trying to preview the project.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2006 6:35 PM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    The fix Ken Achiron gave, that of not using the ' return to last menu' command, did it for me.
    Strange, I've used that in other projects, same way, never gave me trouble before.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2006 7:06 PM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    I fought this problem last week trying to meet a deadline. I did not find this in time and had to find a computer with 1.0 and build everything from scratch to make it on time and I pushed that to the very last min. I just found this and tried it on the original problem project and it now works.

I set the override on everything to "Not Set" and set the Menu Remote to the main menu and it completed the builds with no errors or problems. This was too late for the last deadline but you saved me from scraping this program and looking for another vendor package.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2007 5:26 PM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    >I wouldn't understand what they are talking about!

That's OK. He visited the US forums and didn't understand anything, either.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2007 4:10 AM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    >Today I found a single error in the project and decided I could fix it in about 10 minutes... only to find that NOW when I tried to preview (the saved project that WORKED before), the same error occurs and I can't preview or build the DVD!

Between the project working & not working, what changes did you make please?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2007 5:20 AM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    This is what is very strange -- I didn't make ANY changes, except that I closed the program down, and when I opened the project the next time it gave me this message.

To be absolutely clear, I opened the project up, added the corrected timeline, put it into a couple of playlists as well as linking a menu to it. I then got this error message.

HOWEVER -- I shut the program down without saving, then opened up the saved project that was working the last time, and when I tried to preview it I got the error message. So, while I did make changes, these were not saved and the saved project did not work. (I hope that explanation is clear).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2007 5:28 AM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    Sorry -- I just noticed that there is a thread on this error elsewhere in the forum ( http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bbee891/21 )Somehow when I searched for this error that thread did not show up. I'm going to take a look at that thread and see if there is anything that will help.

Again, sorry for posting the same topic twice.

EDIT....

OK, having read through the other thread, I feel that it is my duty to summarize the apparent fix here. It seems that there could be one of two problems, which are discussed by two posters:

1. "The issue was that instead of using return to last menu which is for use in a series of menus, instead I should specify the menu I want to return to. The summary is: make sure you're only giving one choice for an end action and don't use an override, and make sure to specify which menu even if there is only one when you return to a menu. When I did this it worked like a charm."...

"'Return to Last Menu' End action for a timeline is the culprit. Don't Use it. "

or

2. "I hit this problem today and found taking out the Return to last menu did not help a bit. I found that *deleting the chapter playlist, then recreating it* (The same by all I could tell). Would eliminate the problem."

Interestingly, I know that I have both of these (i. e. a playlist and the 'return to last menu' End action) in my project. I will test these fixes out and report back when I have a moment...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2007 7:16 AM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    This is interesting, and seems to point to a possible cause.
    I am wondering if the VM code assigned to these actions & playlists by the Abstraction Layer is actually being dynamically updated correctly.
    Think about it this way:
    In a commercial grade authoring application, you need to write all your own VM commands for functionality - in an Abstraction Layer grade authoring application, it's all done for you.
    So far so good.
    but - and it's a biggie - when any asset is changed, swapped or deleted & recreated, how well it will all work depends on how the VM commands are being updated in the AL. If they are not being updated properly, then there will be VM code pointing to incorrect or even non existent objects, hence the errors.
    Things seem to work along the lines of "This project does not work, but if I rebuild it from scratch, it does". That implies incorrect updating.
    Not saving a project and then re-opening it, after changing a timeline -
    i even though you didn't save it
    is implying that there were changes made to the VM commands, but these were not updated in a master list - hence corruption.
    I hope I am wrong, as there is no quick fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2007 5:27 AM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    Quick update:

Like almost all others who experienced this error, I removed all "Return to last menu" references from the project and now everythig works just fine.

I would not say this is the ideal fix, but at least now it works. Thanks to everyone for input into this and the previous thread.

And Neil, it seems you are onto something here, although my understanding of code is very rudimentary. I have a feeling that perhaps the error is in the way Encore saves the project. I only say this because when the error arose the first time I know that I was continually saving my work, and probably closed down the program at one time prior to restarting. On the other hand, the time after that, when it worked even with the "return to last menu commands", I know that I had NOT closed the program down and restarted before building the DVD. Just some additional clues as to what might be happening.

Again, Thanks Neil and all others who had input.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2007 4:04 PM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    Just like to add my thanks to all involved - -this is the first time I have used ENCORE and after a pretty steep learning curve and about 15 hours I was ready to preview for the last time and ran a check disk. It said I had an orphan timeline so not being too sure what to do I saved and then deleted the timeline (more to see what would happen than anything else). Of course when it didn't work I reopened the file (hey it works in other programs) and couldn't preview or burn! Twelve hours later I began to google and found this forum. A quick read and and few changes and I'm previewing and ready to burn a project that I had time budgeted for a week and has taken four. I am in awe of your problem solving skills. Thanks again guys, you are brilliant!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2007 8:58 PM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    I'm adding my thanks as well. I ran into this problem tonight with a deadline tomorrow and had that sudden sinking feeling. Removing all the "return to last menu" commands fixed my woes as well. Many thanks to the pioneers before me.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2007 10:19 AM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    This one is driving me crazy. When I attempted to preview a (very large) build, I received this error and no preview, although it has worked on previous projects. When I attempted to build the DVD the same message occurred following all of the transcoding. I then rebuilt the project (SEVERAL HOURS) and the error message disappeared, everything went fine, and I created a master.

Today I found a single error in the project and decided I could fix it in about 10 minutes... only to find that NOW when I tried to preview (the saved project that WORKED before), the same error occurs and I can't preview or build the DVD!

Any ideas what this refers to and how to fix it?

Note: I performed a google-search and apparently this has come up before in the French-language forum. Unfortunately my French is pretty poor, so I wouldn't understand what they are talking about!

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2007 10:19 AM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    I've done everything you guys have said to do and im still getting that error message, I even rebuilt the entire project..any other suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2007 10:22 AM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    None of this worked for me....any other ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2007 6:52 PM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    You need to make sure you aren't trying to "send" the "player" to more than one place at a time. Make sure all references go to something specific and live or select none where you can, maybe even better than "default" If there is no need you can explain in simple words to yourself, then you don't need to be doing an overide. Send itg where it should go then stop. Use only the links you can account for in real sentences to yourself, then see if it will compile. Sorry if it sounds like I'm dumbing down, but it's the program that gives you in some cases too many choices and you want to go plain vanilla to eliminate this error. Basically, the program itself is getting lost inside itself, as the Adobe tech explained to me last summer.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2007 1:15 PM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    wow man i kind of got what you were saying but it got complicated after a while...but basically are you saying that the end action of each video, or asset should be none? because when certain videos stop i need them to go back to certain menus. Maybe Im just not interpreting your post right...thanks for the response tho

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2007 2:02 PM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    Darren:

Not necessarily, "none." But as it was explained to me, most of the projects we all make do not need "overrides" An override is a method to send you somewhere other than where the menu would normally send you. Most projects not only don't need it, but if you put one in when you don't need it and you do it wrong, the program "gets lost" inside itself and that is the source of the error. So what I was saying was to keep your menu structure simple and straight forward, and regardless of the opportunities that Encore presents, you can skip some of them and only include what you actually need. Probably skip the overides which you probably don't need.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2007 2:13 PM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    I dont know if this makes any difference..but all the overrides in my project are "not set" and have been that way since the start. I really dont know what to do about this problem

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2007 8:27 AM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    Just to add my 2 cents ... I have done several Encore projects without too much trouble (except that I have to log in to the PC using the Administrator account in order to get the transcoding to work).

Now I have a one-menu project that checks with no errors, but is giving me this Editor error when I try to use "Preview From Here" or Build.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2007 4:35 AM   in reply to (Joshua_Kersey)
    Hey folks!
    Here is what happened to me:
    I have a Encore CS3 project with 15 menues, about 60 assets and some playlists. One playlist is special because only when this one is played I want two videos (number 4 and 9) within this playlist to be shown with subtitles.

So from the main menu I point to the playlist with the option subtitel 1 on. Bad luck. No automatic subtitles show up. Videos 1 to 3 don´t have a subtitle track so I put empty subtitle tracks to all items in the playlist AND aditionally, as endaction of the playlist, I gave it the option to return to the same playlist (in other words: to play it again as a loop) PLUS the option TURN ON SUBTITLES 1 (just in case and to be sure they will someday be shown).

Next time I built the DVD I got the error

"internal software error: .\EditorTemplates.cpp, line 698"

first I thought it was because of the empty subtitle tracks, but before removing them all again I just removed the option "turn on subtile 1" from the playlist´s endaction.

And I could build the dvd without any problems.

By the way: in order to turn on subtitles for just some files in a playlist, ALL files have to have at least an empty subtitle track! If not after playing the first video without a subtitle track subtitles are turned off for again.

Hope this one helps.
    Klaus

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)