Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PGC...data rate too high

May 24, 2006 5:01 AM

Hallo,

message nunew33, "Mpeg not valid error message" #4, 31 Jan 2006 3:29 pm describes a certain error message. The user had problems with an imported MPEG movie.

Now I receive the same message, but the MPEG that is causing the problem is created by Encore DVD itself!?

I am working with the german version, but here is a rough translation of the message:
"PGC 'Weitere Bilder' has an error at 00:36:42:07.
The data rate of this file is too high for DVD. You must replace the file with one of a lower data rate. - PGC Info: Name = Weitere Bilder, Ref = SApgc, Time = 00:36:42:07"

My test project has two menus and a slide show with approx. 25 slides and blending as transition. The menus are ok, I verified that before.

First I thought it was a problem with the audio I use in the slide show. Because I am still in the state of learning how to use the application, I use some test data. The audio tracks are MP3s. I learned already that it is better to convert the MP3s to WAV files with certain properties.

I did that, but still the DVD generation was not successful.

Then I deleted all slides from the slide show but the first. Now the generation worked!? As far as a single slide (an image file) can not have a bitrate per second, and there was no sound any more, and as far as the error message appears AFTER the slide shows are generated, while Encore DVD is importing video and audio just before the burning process, I think that the MPEG that is showing the slide show is the problem.

But this MPEG is created by Encore DVD itself. Can Encore DVD create Data that is not compliant to the DVD specs?

The last two days I had to find out the cause for a "general error". Eventually I found out that image names must not be too long. Now there is something else, and I still have to just waste time for finding solutions for apparent bugs in Encore DVD. Why doesn't the project check find and tell me such problems? Problem is that the errors appear at the end of the generation process, so I always have to wait for - in my case - approx. 30 minutes.

If the project check would have told me before that there are files with file names that are too long, I wouldn't have had to search or this for two days.

Now I get this PGC error (what is PGC by the way?), and still have no clue, cause again the project check didn't mention anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Christian Kirchhoff

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2006 7:35 AM   in reply to (krisc)
    Christian,

Your troubleshooting method so far has been excellent. So now I ask you:

1. Are there any clues in the content of the troublesome slides?

2. Are there any clues in the physical location of the troublesome slides or the project folder - network drive, external drive, specific folder location, etc.?

3. Are the troublesome slides always the same, or do different slides cause the problem at different times? Have you done any disk maintenance (defrag, chkdsk) to see if that helps?

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2006 10:46 AM   in reply to (krisc)
    Christian,

I meant the content of the images themselves - for example day/night shots, photos vs. drawings, dark vs. light, that kind of stuff. Things that might affect a transcoder when transcoding the file, and things that may be common to the troublesome images.

Have you tried opening the known troublesome images in Photoshop, making changes (both radical and minor), saving as a copy or as a new image format and then replacing the original troublesome images with their changed counterparts? That would be an interesting test.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2006 2:42 PM   in reply to (krisc)
    Christian,

The only thing I can think of at the moment is that the MPEG encoding engine is "derailing" during a blend. I have seen this happen with other MPEG encoders. Because MPEG encoding achieves most of the compression by encoding only the differences between frames, a blend can be quite difficult to compress within the given bit rate: Too much is changing from frame to frame. What the encoder should do is to apply the emergency brake (which would show as "macro blocking" or mosaicking), but what they sometimes do is simply overshooting the allowed bit rate, by a lot.

I am not saying that this is what is happening, but just that it could be happening.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2006 1:04 PM   in reply to (krisc)
    Christian,

At the moment I can't offer any further theories about the possible cause of the problem. But I do have a suggestion to (hopefully) get your project back on track: Instead of doing the slideshow in Encore, create it in Premiere and export as DV AVI or MPEG-2. Because you are using transitions anyway, the DVD disc space used by using a movie doesn't have to be much larger than with the Encore generated version.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2006 1:35 AM   in reply to (krisc)
    If you will be working with stills and slideshows often, you might have a look at Imaginate from Canopus. It is less costly than Premiere and can output to AVI, which you can then use in Encore.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)