Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

internal software error: %0, line "title of project" - PGC Info:

Dec 21, 2006 8:04 AM

I get this error when trying to build DVD:

PGC "title of project" has an error at 00;14;19;10.
internal software error: %0, line "title of project" - PGC Info: name="title of project",ref=Bpgc, time=00;14;19;10

I searched this forum with no result. I found one similar, but the help had nothing to do with the error.

Replies 1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 21, 2006 8:49 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    The first place I would look is in the timeline that is referenced by the error message. Check the referenced timecode. What's going on visually and audibly in the program at that point?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2006 6:06 PM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    I am having the same issue. Has anyone been albe to work around this error?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2007 4:30 PM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    Same problem here. Anyone have any type solution?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2007 5:45 PM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    >anyone been albe to work around this error?

>Anyone have any type solution?

Anyone have any answers to the questions in post #1?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2007 5:24 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    I worked around this problem by typing the subtitles as titles in premiere pro because I was pressed for time. I called adobe and they told me to check if there were any overlapping subtitles in the timeline, which I did not have. Then they told me the best solution was to re-do the subtitles in notepad and then import them into encore. I haven't had the time to re-do the subtitles for a third time so I don't know if this solves the problem yet.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2007 7:07 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    I don't post very often but I have been bitten by this one so hopefully this will help someone else.
    I know how maddening this problem can be because it has happened to me before. I was able to work around the problem. I'm not sure of why this helped technically speaking but if it works, who cares right?
    The timeline that was causing problems was originally encoded using one of the presets that came with Adobe Media Encoder in Premiere Pro 2.0. It used a "high quality" variable bit rate. I analyzed the bit stream with some freeware which revealed nothing. There was nothing spectacular happening on screen during the referenced time code, certainly nothing any different than what was in many other timelines that seemed to work fine, so I started experimenting with different settings in Adobe Media Encoder. I switched from one of the VBR presets to a CBR setting and Viola! Encore is finally happy!
    The preset I used is NTSC 4:3 High Quality CBR 7 1 Pass. I bumped the bit rate up to 8 instead of 7.
    As I said, I don't know why this works, but it did for me. I hope this will help someone else out there. I have seen mention in other posts about subtitles causing these types of problems...I don't use subtitles at all so that wasn't the case for me.

Good luck!

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2007 7:11 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    One additional note to my post from above...
    I continue to use my original VBR preset to encode because I believe it to be (very slightly) higher quality and I think it may be a little more compatible with some of the lower quality DVD players out there. I only use the CBR preset to correct this PGC problem which rarely happens.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2007 8:31 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    I re-typed the subtitles in notepad and imported them into encore. At first it gave me an out of memory error and would not import the subtitles. After I fooled with the type of font, I got it to work. It did not like the Arial black font, I ended up using Myrid Pro, and it worked just fine. This was a frustrating problem, considerin I still don't have a clue as to why Encore gave me the first error message.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2007 1:07 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    I was having this problem on a couple of DVDs I was building, and after not finding anything wrong with the video at the timecode Encore was bitterly complaining about, I tinkered with stuff for a while and got it to build.

Here's what worked for me:
    I copied the transcoded m2v and ac3 files (located in the [Project Name]\Sources\Transcodes\[Asset Filename] subdirectory) to a new directory. Then I imported them into Encore as assets, and replaced the AVI file in my problem timeline with the pre-encoded versions. The only downside is that I had to set my chapter points again after I deleted the original AVI asset from the timeline, but I wrote down the timecode for each one before I deleted it.

I don't know if this will work for you, but it seems to have solved my problem, and I'm happy enough with it right now (since it'll finally build).

BTW, I just started having this problem in the last couple of days, and it's been on multiple projects. The only change to my system I made (that I can think of) is that I uninstalled Norton AntiVirus. I have no idea if that's related, but I remember having a problem installing Production Studio with NAV running.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2007 3:46 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    Glad to find this thread - I'm having the same trouble. But is anyone at Adobe reading this stuff? This is a bug! It's been around since December of '06!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2007 6:15 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    >This is a bug! It's been around since December of '06!

Hi Dean,

Do you have reproducible steps that will cause this bug to appear? Every time? In every project? Whenever a particular type of asset is used? If not, then under what specific conditions did it happen to you? Have you completed any projects at all without this error? If so, what was different between the project(s) that worked and the one(s) that failed?

Nobody else has provided reproducible steps, and it's awfully hard for a software engineer to fix something that can't be reliably reproduced.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2007 8:04 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    I have also just had this problem.....and missed a deadline because of it!

The only thing that stands out in my circumstances is from the timecode (time=00;14;52;19 ) of the problem. At this frame it is white, and the frame before (00;14;52;18) is a fully black frame.

Could the problem be that encore cant handle a white frame next to a black frame?

I will try re encoding the footage in the mean time, but would appreciate an answer to this problem, as it seems like an issue that needs fixing!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2007 8:20 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    I get the same thing right away upon starting a burn. The same project burns perfectly in CS2. The project loads and "verifies" cleanly in CS3, but immediately crashes whenever a burn is attempted. I'm back in CS2 burning, since CS3 is worthless, and don't have time rebuilding this large project from scratch-- which is what I suspect it will take to get anything through CS3.

They did not test CS3 using CS2 projects-- no regression done, obviously.

Why can't you guys create at least a few decent sized project in earlier versions and then try burning them in CS3?

DUH!!!!!

COME ON!

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Aug 10, 2007 2:57 PM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    I also recognize this error.
    Strangely enough I also removed Norton AV (replaced by Panda - btw: much better!) and since then this internal error appeared.
    But as it appeared, that has no effect whatsoever on the cause.

I found a very simple cause and solution: take care not to mix PAL and NTSC settings when you render the movie in the Adobe Media Encoder with the settings of your Encore project.
    Well, I did mix them, resulting in this error.

So, I created a new Encore project (with the PAL encoding settings), and used the PAL rendered mv2 files. Fixed !

This should work, I hope for everyone.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2007 2:08 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    Good news and bad news...

The bad news is: my previous solution doesn't work after all. To test my solution, I've rendered only a part of the full Premiere CS3 timeline for solving the notorious error. And that worked fine. When rendering the full timeline, the error returned. To my frustration.
    I tried to change the settings for almost every parameter for MPEG2-DVD of the Media Encoder. Nothing worked at the end.

The good news is: I've finally found the cause and I'm able to fully render and author my Premiere files and DVD project.
    So this is how I finally solved it: Premiere's Media Encoder has a bug in the MPEG2-DVD (PAL) setting (I did not try NTSC rendering). When using MPEG2-DVD settings, two files are created: the m2v and the wav file. The m2v file causes the error in Encore CS3 (btw: Encore 1.5 also shows this error message: hence Encore is OK).
    When choosing the mpg render option ('MPEG2' setting), the error did not appear in Encore. I changed the 2-step VBR settings to the same values as the MPEG2-DVD option (min 1.5, avg 4.0 max 7.0 Mbps) to get the same quality and file size. The only disadvantage I have now is not to correct the audio track afterwards, since Encore does not separate the video from the audio track from mpg files. I can live with that.

Hopefully Adobe can now work on a focused debugging action. I'm happy to receive any comments from Adobe on this matter.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2007 4:09 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    >The only disadvantage I have now is not to correct the audio track afterwards, since Encore does not separate the video from the audio track from mpg files. I can live with that.

IIRC you can set Multiplexing to "None" in the Media Encoder to export separate video and audio files.

>Hopefully Adobe can now work on a focused debugging action. I'm happy to receive any comments from Adobe on this matter.

This is a User-to-User forum. If you found a reproducible error and you want to bring it to Adobe's attention, it would be best to submit a bug report .

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2007 8:20 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    Ruud,

Wouldn't this be considered a bug or some kind of error in CS3 if many of us are having this issue? I don't really know how to describe the steps in reproducing it other than whenever I (and it sounds like many others) try to burn my project/write an image I get this error message and the build fails.

I'm submitting a bug report but don't know a couple of the questions they want answered: application server? and database?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2007 11:49 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    Lisa,

I would suggest to set the questions that don't apply (browser/application server/database) to "Other" and fill in the text box that appears for "Other" with a dash or "n/a".

The more information you can give Adobe and the more users are reporting a problem, the better the chances that the issue will be addressed. The reason why I posted the link is that this is a User-to-User forum and not a Technical Support forum. Of course it would be nice if another user would/could post a fix, but the problem wouldn't necessarily be noticed by Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2007 12:17 PM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    Thanks Ruud... I sent the bug report and linked them to the several discussions we have going on that describe this error.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2007 5:25 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    has anybody heard anything from adobe yet? i'm having the same problem here and can't figure a way out...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2007 10:52 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    So, finally I've found the source of the problem and a workaround!

First the source:
    when Encore has to transcode a video it must corrupt the file, because it's the transcoded file that causes the problem, I tried this by importing a transcoded file into Encore 1.5 there it came with the same error.

Now the workaround, ok maybe it isn't quite a workaround but it's a way to go:
    What I did was: I built my project new in Encore 1.5, because Encore 2.0 has a problem importing the videos by me, but if you would just import the videos in 1.5 and let 1.5 transcode them so that all of them would fit on a DVD you should be able to import the transcoded files in CS3 and it should work, no guarantee.
    Other possibility: try opening your project in encore 2.0 and re import your videos there and let 2.0 do all of the transcoding, that might work too!

But for certain: don't let encore CS3 do all the transcoding!

I'm working with PAL files I don't know if it will be the same by NTSC, but it's worth a try!

If anybody feels like reproducing the bug, here is the way to do it:
    Make a project in Encore CS3 and import Videos encoded by premiere as MPG2-DVD (I think: .m2v .wav) and set the transcoding options to automatic, encore should have to transcode the files. Then let encore make the DVD, at some point you should get that nice PGC error!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2007 9:20 PM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    Double post.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2007 7:43 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    Encore CS3 simply doesn't work, even for the simplest slideshow DVD projects that don't contain any type of imported video. It can't produce a DVD without erroring. So, it is worthless until Adobe can come up with an Update that will make the product work. Right now, we have purchased a product that isn't worth *&%$! Very frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2007 9:25 PM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    I found that I was having these same issues with the new motion menu templates. So my resolve was to import the m2v motion file into priemere and then export as a DV AVI file. Then re-import into Encore as a new asset dropped it into the motion menu and then let Encore transcode it. Seem to work on the first try. I realize it may degrade the video a little, but it did not look to bad. Just a suggestion, until Adobe fixes this issue.

Pat

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2007 2:28 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    I am a firs time user og Encore CS 3 and i am getting Internal Sotfware error PGC %0, line Finter-moves 3 PGC info: name= finter-moves 3, ref=Gpgc,
    So i cant buil the DVD. Anyone got a solution?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2007 11:51 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    I have the same problem in short Encore does not work like Adobe have planned. Im not really interested in finding a way around the problem. Adobe should bring out an update on this.

Branch

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2007 2:38 PM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    >Im not really interested in finding a way around the problem. Adobe should bring out an update on this.

Adobe - Bug Report Form

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2007 4:32 PM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    I am getting the same PGC error.

I have had four videos fail, from different projects, and all with the same error (except for titles and time)

They were rendered out of Premiere CS3 using the following settings, no noise reduction, MPEG-DVD format, MainConceot Codec, quality at 5, NTSC, 29.97, Lower, Widescreen, VBR 2 pass, 1.5 min, 4 target, 7 max, 3 M frames, 15 N, Audio at MPEG (also tried PCM), 224 Bit rate, Multiplexed for DVD (also tied None), and no other settings.

From here i import into Encore CS3 as a timeline. This is the only thing in the project, this time line is set as first play and the end action starts it over. I set multiple chaper points (none at the very beginning or at the very end)

The only workable solution that i have found is to render out of premiere as an avi and then transcode it in Encore. this is not acceptable, as my goal is minimal degredation.

I read in another post that various burning software may also be causing the problem, but this does not make sense as this error occurs well before the burn starts... but i removed the Roxio software anyway...

so... any other ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2007 4:40 PM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    >render out of premiere as an avi and then transcode it in Encore. this is not acceptable, as my goal is minimal degredation

Since Premiere and Encore use the same MainConcept coding engine... where is the difference?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2007 12:47 PM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    Hi John,

As I see it and correct me if I am wrong, when rendering to an AVI there is compression and transcoding, then you render to MPEG and lose again. Yes?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2007 12:52 PM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    What is the codec and format of your source files in your NLE? What codec are you using to export to .avi?

If the clips are DV and you export as DV .avi from a DV project, I defy you to find any quality loss from recompression even to the third generation with any modern DV codec.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2007 6:21 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    Hi Jeff,

Perhaps my conclusions were wrong then? they were captured into Premier in using the defaults, .avi and Microsoft DV AVi out... so from what you are saying there would be no loss? or no significant loss? My thoughts were that there was some loss and i was avoiding that by going direct to MPEG from Premiere

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2007 7:13 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    There is loss, and then there is LOSS. To detect a single generational loss going from DV to DV, you would need 2 properly-calibrated studio monitors side-by-side for an A/B test and you would need to step through very colorful content frame-by-frame to detect even the slightest difference.

IMHO, however, going from DV (even the original video) to MPEG introduces a much larger generational loss that someone who knows what to look for can see the quality loss on a normal TV during normal playback.

I am speaking in general terms, because a skilled MPEG transcoding engineer/artist can tweak an encoder (based on content in the source video) in such a way that the MPEG copy becomes nearly indistinguishable from the original. But the methods they will use are costly and time-consuming and can usually only be found at dedicated mastering houses.

Bottom line: you can (usually) safely export DV source material with effects and transitions as a DV .avi from Premiere and let Encore handle the transcoding without noticeably degrading your video. I personally don't think any quality gained by transcoding to MPEG from Premiere is worth losing Encore's automatic transcoding ability.

There are exceptions to that rule, but, just like with using overrides, they are very rare.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2007 7:39 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    Thanks Jeff! I have exported as an .avi and am presently letting Encore transcode it.

I apprecieate your insight!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2007 7:59 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    You're welcome. :) Let us know how it turns out.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2007 9:02 PM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    well as the say, third times the charm... I took my dv .avi from Premiere CS3 in to Encore CS3 set my simple time line as first play and then end action back to the beginning of the time line. Set chapter points and went to burn the disc.

Here is what I think is another issue... on my first two attempts I did not use the "automatic" settings, I made some adjustments (my system is busy right now with another transcode and burn, otherwise I would go in to see what all I changed) but my point is that about 80% through the transcode Encore crashed big time! As in Encore wasn't even running... no Error no Microsoft "this application has caused a general protection fault..." nothing...

First time I was not real sure what happened, so I did it again but watched it closer and the same results. The third time I left it in "automatic" and did get a successful burn...

From my standpoint Encore has issues... and while this is not the area for this but I have had several crashes with Photoshop CS3 as well... and I see at a quick glance I am not the only one with that issue. All the other apps including Premiere seem to be doing just fine... Other thoughts, Anyone?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2007 10:42 PM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    Hey - I was having the same major problems, and tried the various solutions offered above. I seemed to suffer the MPEG2-DVD rendering issue in Encore as well.

I also seemed to have problems with the 'diptobalck' transition... mysterious crashes to desktop during the burn process.

Anyway, after a week of frustration, I took a punt and reinstalled 'Encore 2'. To my surprise and elation, it digested the CS3 files without complaint and I was able to get my project finally finished.

So although it might not help solve the bugs, hopefully it may help as a temporary work-around for those with access to 'Encore 2'.

Right now my CS3 master collection has been a major regret.

-gben

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2007 6:43 AM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    I've experienced this very frustrating error as well. I tried playing around with all sorts of different transcoding settings to no avail.

Then I tried Christopher Larsen's solution...and it WORKED! Thanks man!

To reiterate what he said: Move your files (the m2v and the wav) into a new folder. Then create a new project and import them as assets. Volia, it should work now!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2007 8:02 PM   in reply to (Michael_Ferrara)
    I started working with CS3 about a month ago and have no experience with previous versions of Encore. I had exactly the error everyone has had. I exported my timeline from Premiere CS3 to Encore. It transcoded fine and then when it started to do the build, it crashed with the PGC error.

I tried it several times and it always crashed at the exact same frame. However, upon inspection there was nothing wrong with the frame -- it was smack in the middle of a scene.

OK. So instead, I exported the program from Premiere as an AVI file. I then imported the AVI file into Encore as a timeline, and let it rip. It crashed at exactly the same frame as before -- with the same error everyone is getting.

Here's where I discovered that Encore is the problem. I had the original M2V and AC3 files created when Premiere exported to Encore (the project transcoded fine -- it crashed only on the build). So I decided to experiment and try using an ancient DVD program I had called Ulead Workshop (an early freebie that came with my DVD burner). I imported the M2V and AC3 files into Ulead and burned a DVD that works perfectly. No crash on the build. Plays great on the computer and in several DVD players. In fact it was just shown looped for three straight days at a convention kiosk (the program is 72 minutes long).

So Premiere created M2V and AC3 files that were fine when used by another (very cheap) program. The problem occurred in Encore. I have since had the same problem consistently with Encore, which is also giving me other problems.

I DID contact Adobe tech support on the phone and registered a case number. We ran through all of the above and more. After an hour of this, the Adobe tech support guy finally suggested (after consulting with someone or something on his end) that I should export a multiplexed MPG from Premiere and then bring it into Encore to burn the disc. That way Encore wouldn't be doing any transcoding. (He seemed to imply that Encore DOES have a problem -- although he thought the problem was more likely with my video). Anyway, I have since tried his suggestion and I get an end-of-file error in Encore. Go figure.

So my conclusion is that since I have been able to use the M2V and AC3 files created by Premiere CS3 in a different DVD builder, I must conclude that Encore, not Premiere, is the problem.

I registered my bug with the support dude, but who know if Adobe is going to fix this. Since it seems that a number of people are having this problem, I strongly suggest we all continue complaining to Adobe until they make fixing it a priority. Encore is useless to me at this point.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)