Skip navigation
howcar
Currently Being Moderated

Error# 0

Sep 7, 2008 7:47 AM

When installing a program that requires Adobe Air to install I continually get message: The application could not be installed. Try installing it again. If the problem persists, contact the application author. Error# 0. The software maker does not know what this error is and suggested I contact you. Have used Air to install another program and it works fine. Have windows xp.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 7, 2008 10:47 AM   in reply to howcar
    You can capture a log file from the install, per http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb403123 . The log will contain more detailed information regarding the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2008 2:33 PM   in reply to Oliver Goldman
    Here is what I got: Starting app install of file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Howard/LOCALS~1/Temp/MarketSamurai.0.70.air
    UI SWF load is complete
    UI initialized
    Unpackaging to C:\Documents and Settings\Howard\Local Settings\Temp\fla22D.tmp
    unpackaging is complete
    application is bound to side-by-side version 1.0
    application is bound to this version of the runtime
    app id MarketSamurai
    pub id 6E37012E1CBD7F47B14488FCC715944F3EBDCEDC.1
    application not currently installed
    Waiting for user confirmation
    User confirmed action: install
    creating native installer in: C:\Documents and Settings\Howard\Local Settings\Temp\fla23A.tmp
    native installer creation complete
    Starting install
    Destination for installed application is g:\web tools\market samurai
    Beginning install
    Installing C:\Documents and Settings\Howard\Local Settings\Temp\fla23A.tmp\setup.msi
    Error occurred; beginning rollback: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1603" errorID=0]
    Rolling back install of C:\Documents and Settings\Howard\Local Settings\Temp\fla23A.tmp\setup.msi
    Rollback due to error complete
    stateInstalling: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1603" errorID=0]
    starting cleanup of temporary files
    application installer exiting

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2008 6:32 PM   in reply to howcar
    The log indicates that the Windows Installer service is reporting an error to AIR during the installation process. Unfortunately, the reported error is not specific. You have a couple of options:

a) Check the Windows event log and, if necessary, enable windows installer logging. Additional detail on the windows error might further narrow down the issue.

b) Use a cleanup utility (Microsoft provides a free one) to remove any installer records related to this application. This is most likely to work if you've previously had some version of this application installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2008 11:22 AM   in reply to Oliver Goldman
    I am getting the exact same error with installing an AIR application on Windows XP professional SP2.
    The AIR runtime is latest (i.e. version 1.5).

Here's what happened, a previous install of the application was successful. After uninstalling using Add/Remove programs, the new version of the application was not installed due to Error #0 &

Error occurred; beginning rollback: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1603" errorID=0] (From .airappinstall.log)

After manually removing the registry entries for the application, a reinstall was attempted but it remains unsuccessful despite trying many times. I read through the posts related to this issue & have made sure that
    the currently logged in user belongs to the Administrator group. Windows Event Viewer log shows the following,

Date : 12/10/08 Source : MsiInstaller
    Time : 5:53:02 PM Category : None
    Type : Error Event ID : 11714
    User : D4M8\admin
    Computer : D4M8

Description :
    Product : SampleAIRApplication - Error 1714. The older version of SampleAIRApplication cannot be removed.
    Contact your technical support group. System error 1612.

After this I tried to clean up the system registry with a registry cleaner tool, but it still doesn't install.
    Please help as this is happening on a customer machine & I am unable to reproduce this inhouse.
    The contents of .airappinstall.log are attached.

Thanks

Starting app install of file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/admin/Desktop/New%20Folder/Samp leAIRApplication/SampleAIRApplication/SampleAIRApplication.air
    UI SWF load is complete
    UI initialized
    Unpackaging to C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Local Settings\temp\fla66.tmp
    unpackaging is complete
    application is bound to side-by-side version 1.0
    application is bound to this version of the runtime
    app id SampleAIRApplication
    pub id 31D0E4A8305D8249DE1F9377B612665B83A0EAEA.1
    application not currently installed
    Waiting for user confirmation
    User confirmed action: install
    creating native installer in: C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Local Settings\temp\fla67.tmp
    native installer creation complete
    Starting install
    Destination for installed application is C:\Program Files
    Beginning install
    Installing C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Local Settings\temp\fla67.tmp\setup.msi
    Error occurred; beginning rollback: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1603" errorID=0]
    Rolling back install of C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Local Settings\temp\fla67.tmp\setup.msi
    Rollback due to error complete
    stateInstalling: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1603" errorID=0]
    starting cleanup of temporary files
    application installer exiting

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2008 11:00 AM   in reply to howcar
    This problem, for me at least, appears to be related to the uninstallation of the previous version of AIR. Try to uninstall AIR 1.1 from your Programs and Features (Vista) or Add/Remove Programs (XP).

If that fails, check your installer log. It probably shows something like this:

UI SWF load is complete
    UI initialized
    starting user confirmation
    Installation type: patchSame
    starting elevated install
    subinstaller: starting uninstall
    subinstaller: Scheduling uninstall of product guid {E6672E63-6C06-4303-8F37-D8CEE82005B0}
    subinstaller: Scheduling uninstall of product guid {197A3012-8C85-4FD3-AB66-9EC7E13DB92E}
    subinstaller: Beginning install
    subinstaller: Uninstalling product w/ GUID {E6672E63-6C06-4303-8F37-D8CEE82005B0}
    subinstaller: Error occurred; beginning rollback: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1612" errorID=0]
    subinstaller: Rollback due to error complete
    subinstaller: error during install: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1612" errorID=0]
    Failed during elevated install: error 0 1612
    runtime install entering error state: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1612" errorID=0]
    begin quitting

I removed the key named E6672E63-6C06-4303-8F37-D8CEE82005B0 from the registry using RegEdit, by doing a search.

I also removed a key named 36E2766E60C63034F8738DEC8E02500B which was referencing the key above.

Next, I removed 197A3012-8C85-4FD3-AB66-9EC7E13DB92E. I also removed 2103A79158C83DF4BA66E97C1ED39BE2 which was referencing the previous key.

Thinking this would resolve the issue I attempted to reinstall AIR 1.5. At this point the installer again failed. The log displays this error:

Performing runtime install
    UI SWF load is complete
    UI initialized
    Installation type: additionalNewest
    subinstaller: starting install
    subinstaller: Scheduling runtime installation operations
    subinstaller: uninstall scheduled for 1.0.5, 1.0.4, 1.0.6
    subinstaller: Installed Product GUID: is same:false
    subinstaller: Beginning runtime installation
    subinstaller: Copying C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0.6 to C:\Users\tj.SANATIVE.000\AppData\Local\Temp\fla1D61.tmp\file1
    subinstaller: Deleting C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0.6
    subinstaller: Installing c:\users\tjsana~1.000\appdata\local\temp\air530.tmp\setup.msi
    subinstaller: Error occurred; beginning rollback: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1603" errorID=0]
    subinstaller: Rolling back install of c:\users\tjsana~1.000\appdata\local\temp\air530.tmp\setup.msi
    subinstaller: Copying C:\Users\tj.SANATIVE.000\AppData\Local\Temp\fla1D61.tmp\file1 to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0.6
    subinstaller: Deleting C:\Users\tj.SANATIVE.000\AppData\Local\Temp\fla1D61.tmp\file1
    subinstaller: error during install: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1603" errorID=0]
    Failed during elevated install: error 0 1603
    runtime install entering error state: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1603" errorID=0]
    begin quitting

OK, so Let's clear out the Temp folder and also manually delete the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0.6 folder. We've already deleted the registry key so these files are useless anyway.

After this, I run the installer again. Error. I check the logs:

Performing runtime install
    UI SWF load is complete
    UI initialized
    Installation type: additionalNewest
    subinstaller: starting install
    subinstaller: Scheduling runtime installation operations
    subinstaller: uninstall scheduled for 1.0.5, 1.0.4
    subinstaller: Installed Product GUID: is same:false
    subinstaller: Beginning runtime installation
    subinstaller: Installing c:\users\tjsana~1.000\appdata\local\temp\air403c.tmp\setup.msi
    subinstaller: Error occurred; beginning rollback: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1603" errorID=0]
    subinstaller: Rolling back install of c:\users\tjsana~1.000\appdata\local\temp\air403c.tmp\setup.msi
    subinstaller: error during install: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1603" errorID=0]
    Failed during elevated install: error 0 1603
    runtime install entering error state: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1603" errorID=0]
    begin quitting

OK, this is just stupid. This must be a permissions error on the temp folder in appdata/local? Nope, I reviewed and my account, administrators and system all have full control. I even added everyone to test, with no luck (I was sure to remove this after to prevent anything from being allowed to arbitrarily execute in that folder).

OK, so this time I try to reinstall while watching that temp folder and notice that a new file gets created, a log file. I open that log and see

Error 1714. The older version of Adobe AIR cannot be removed. Contact your technical support group. System Error 1612.
    === Logging stopped: 12/20/2008 10:49:34 ===

OK, so apparently there's still some stuff it thinks its gotta remove. Reviewing the install log again, it seems like it wants to remove 1.0.5, 1.0.4. OK, screw you. I am going to strip AIR from my registry altogether.

I search the registry for Adobe AIR and find and delete the following keys:

2103A79158C83DF4BA66E97C1ED39BE2
    36E2766E60C63034F8738DEC8E02500B

These must be the 1.0.5 and 1.0.4 keys.

After deleting these keys I was successfully able to install AIR 1.5 on Vista SP1 64bit

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2008 11:02 AM   in reply to howcar
    I also want to add that AIR has been a serious problem with each new version. This is something Adobe needs to address.

The installer needs to better handle failures, and foresee these issues, which have existed since Beta 1.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2010 9:05 PM   in reply to howcar

I had a similar problem with installing an AIR Help file.  I was able to install and view other AIR Help files on the same PC, but every time I tried this one, it would fail with Error# 0.  I eventually tried every version of that file I had generated, and they all failed.  Then I realized they all had one thing in common...the Help ID.  I changed the Help ID, and the file installed just fine.

FYI, I did search the registry for the corrupt Help ID, but it was not found.  I'm not sure how to locate and remove this corrupt item, but at least I found a workaround.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)