Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

REMINDER: Regularly cleanup your temp files!

Jul 17, 2007 3:45 PM

I wanted to post a reminder to all Soundbooth users to periodically let Soundbooth clean up your temporary file folders. To do this, open Preferences in Soundbooth, choose MEDIA, and click the 3 buttons there.

This cleans up old conformed audio files (generated whenever an mp3 or other compressed format is opened, in order to work with the quicker uncompressed audio,) and the data files that contain the waveform data. The Media Cache Database is a shared component with Premiere Pro and After Effects, and possibly Encore, that let each application know which files have been touched by the other applications.

This will not only speed things up when done occasionally, but will also restore disk space.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 19, 2007 6:24 AM   in reply to _durin_
    >The Media Cache Database is a shared component with Premiere Pro and After Effects, and possibly Encore

Shouldn't that one be left alone, then?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2007 6:59 AM   in reply to _durin_
    No, because the cache can fill up with outdated, changed and unneeded files. In a worst case scenario, the various projects that reference these files can get confused, and cause unexpected program behavior.

AFAIK, if any of the above programs needs something from the cache that isn't there or isn't right, it will rebuild/modify as necessary.

Cleaning out the cache database also removes pointers to obsolete material.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2009 1:32 PM   in reply to _durin_
    This can be bad enough with MP3 files, but I discovered it with AIFFs, and I had accumulated 16 gigs of them before I realized what was going on. On an 80 gig drive, that can be a problem. I make a point of going to preferences and dumping these before I shut down the application now.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)