Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Splitting tracks

Nov 4, 2008 10:46 AM

So I am wondering...
Does Soundbooth have a feature, or a way to add a feature, or a way to write my own feature, that would detect a silence and split it off into a new track, or add a marker, or some way to make it easier than just highlighting a section and cutting and pasting to a new track?
This seems like it would be a really useful feature...
and not all that difficult to write.

Pseudo code something along the lines of

do while not audio.eof
audio.position += 1
if audio.db = 0 then
ms = 0
do while audio.db = 0
audio.position += 1
ms = ms + 1
loop
end if
if ms > 2000 then
SplitPoint = audio.position - (ms/2)
audio.addKeyFrame(SplitPoint)
ms=0
end if
loop
for each KeyFrame in audio.keyframes
audio.split(KeyFrame.position)
next

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 10, 2008 7:06 AM   in reply to (Andy_Dillbeck)
    I want to know the same thing!

How can we split a track in two, in order to move one half around and insert audio between the two halves? I can't see a shortcut. I'm a Mac user.

In Garage band it's just apple+T

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2008 8:55 AM   in reply to (Andy_Dillbeck)
    F*** it, I'm getting a refund.

£75 for this piece of s*** that doesn't do the most BASIC of editing functions... this simple command is Apple T on a Garageband, the FREE software.

Adobe customer support is a joke too.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2008 2:42 AM   in reply to (Andy_Dillbeck)
    Soundbooth is intended to address a particular market sector which is completely different from that addressed by Garageband.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2008 3:31 AM   in reply to (Andy_Dillbeck)
    Sorry Ozpeter, I don't get you. Soundbooth is a multi-track sound waveform editing tool is it not? The ability to simply split a waveform/track into 2 is a very basic and fundamental editing requirement for anyone wishing to edit sound.

Why bother with trying to add such ridiculous features such as the speech transcriber, which is so flawed it's farcical and ridiculous without attending to the basic editing needs of it's consumers?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2008 4:14 AM   in reply to (Andy_Dillbeck)
    If you want full multitrack editing then you use Audition. Ah, but you are using a Mac. Oh dear. ;)

Soundbooth is intended for cleaning up tracks from a video editor like Premiere. So you do your track splitting in that. You don't want to be messing up the sync between pictures and sound by changing the length of your audio file outside of the picture environment.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2008 4:45 AM   in reply to (Andy_Dillbeck)
    Cheers Ryan,

you joke about Audition, but I'd love it! It used to be Coole Edit, right? I'm thinking about Logic Express... any thoughts?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2010 9:54 AM   in reply to (Andy_Dillbeck)

Ok- this is still a huge problem. As a master collection owner not having the ability to split a track in sound booth is just stupid.

And no- I don't want to edit my audio podcast in premiere- just add a razorblade tool people, or have the decency to port something that is actually useful to the mac. Or better yet don't pretend to add multi-track functiuonality to a tool when a tape based multi-track from the 80's has more functionality. If this was 1985 I could razorblade tracks all day.

I'm dropping the master collection and going with Final Cut Studio since the only useful tools in the collection are now AfterEffects and Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 1:12 PM   in reply to Ozpeter

However, it still doesn't have the right features to address that market.  Splitting a clip is ridiculously basic and ALWAYS a necessary tool.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)